1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Luxury watch brands for women- help needed!!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasChic-, Jun 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasChic-

VegasChic- VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated-

I'm not a follower of all the watch brands. I've honestly preferred to enjoy buying more fashion/glam watches and changing them out as my outfits dictate, but I'm starting to think of getting one decent time piece.

Specific to women, can anyone give me a quick run down to get me up to speed here?

- what is the holy grail in terms of brands or models?
    - are there any brands I should avoid as they are considered cheesy or crappy but charge a lot for them?
    - is there a way you usually acquire your pieces to get a better deal? Locations or time of year?

I know that tons of $$ can be spent here but I'm still more inclined to keep it more at an entry level- just because I don't place high value on the pieces myself, but still would like a decent quality piece!!

Any help appreciated!!!

2. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

Knowing your price range would allow me to make a more accurate recommendation. But I will make some for a variety of price brackets.

Less than $500: In my opinion the only brand to go with here is Citizen Eco-Drive. They're well-built and they have a style for everyone.

$501-$2,000: Longines, Some Omegas, Baume & Mercier (my favorite at this level), Tissot

$2,001-$5,000: Omega, Cartier, Pre-owned Rolex

$5,001+: Rolex, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Zenith, IWC

Everyone's grail watch is something different.

Brands to avoid: Any company that isn't a watch company (Gucci, Armani, Hermes, Michael Kors, Bulgari, Versace, Dior etc.) And even some watch companies: Movado, Bulova, watch enthusiasts will say avoid Tag Heuer, and I agree. But they're not necessarily bad watches, it's just preference.

jomashop.com is a good online retailer. They sell all gray market watches, meaning you won't get a factory warranty, but a warranty through them. In exchange for this their prices are typically low.

I buy almost all of my watches pre-owned. But new is fine too. Tourneau is a great store that carries a lot of brands.

Let me know if you would like a recommendation at a specific price and style.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out Michele. Might be just what you're looking for.

4. TheCooler

Michele makes a pretty watch, but it's not a quality piece for the money. They use off the shelf quartz movements that are the same as Fossil uses. Aviod.

5. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TheCooler -

What's your thought on steel/gold/two-tone? I'm told that the mark up on gold is pretty high, so steel is the way to go.

6. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a Breitling watch this past winter and it's one of my favs. I know people either love or hate Tags, but I have 2 and still like them years later.

7. Rubos

Rubos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love Brietling - own two now but more masculine watches

8. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nice ideas

Great review! TheCooler
    Your very Knowledgeable about premium watches & have some great suggestions.

9. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Tag and a Brietling. I love both but I do think the Brietling is the better bang for the buck. The Tags are must so good looking though and go with everything so well. My next will be another Brietling or an Omega. A lot of bang for you buck with TAG on the womens side.

10. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Cooler. I'm going to keep your list for reference.

11. TheCooler

Steel can be the way to go in many cases. It's certainly more common than gold. I don't personally care for the look of many two tone watches, such as the two tone Submariner. But I some do look nice, like the Omega Speedmaster Triple Date Moonphase.

As far as gold being marked up, that is often the case, along with platinum. However something to remember is gold and platinum pieces tend to hold their value at a higher rate than stainless. One thing to avoid is any watch that has been modified by a jeweler. While they may look pretty to you, it will be very tough to sell if you ever need to.

12. TheCooler

Thanks, it's kind of my thing.

13. TheCooler

Go for the Omega!

14. TheCooler

No problem!

15. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    call me crazy but I want an Omega with a blue face! I don't know why, but they just grab ahold of me!! I wish I would have known more about Omegas earlier, I kind of bought my watches and then got more into educating myself.

16. TheCooler

Dude, I'm a big fan of the Seamaster Planet Ocean. It can be had with a blue dial. If you like the Breitling and Tag look, you will love it. If you want something more understated a Seamaster Professional or Aqua Terra is a great choice too.

17. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The one with the blue and orange accents has me drooling. I like some color in my watches and this one has it in spades!

18. TheCooler

Yea, those are very nice looking. The bezels are easily changeable so you can switch between the orange and blue bezels easily. I have blue and white one that I love. It's so versatile. You can wear it formally (hello, James Bond) or put a nato or perlon strap on it and wear it to the gym. Great all around watch. They can be had VERY reasonably in mint condish on the pre-owned market.

19. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you on buying used or grey market. I bought both of mine grey market and saved a ton.

20. TheCooler

Exactly. I've never understood why people go to Vegas and buy a brand new watch. That is my all means the most expensive way to buy. I suppose after a big win when the adrenaline is pumping it can happen, but to make a conscious decision to do so is ludicrous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.