1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Peppermill or Hash House A Go Go

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by RedRiverRose, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Which is best in your opinion? I tried Peppermill. It was okay, huge portions, decent service. Never been to Hash House A Go Go. Looking to have breakfast somewhere. Any suggestions nearer to PH if possible? Thanks

2. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HHAGG is a waste of space. Avoid at all costs. Peppermill is so much better.

For a better breakfast closer to PH, try upstairs at Margaritaville. Get a Bloody Mary, the French Quarter omelet, a pot of coffee and walk the various walks of shame down LVB. Or just go to Mon Ami Gabi at Paris.

3. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for heads up. Maybe I will stick with Peppermill. You certainly can't leave there hungry. Their portions are huge.

4. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Portions are large at both places. Both places are overrated. Good but not great. The Peppermill LOUNGE is a cool and unique place.

5. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy going to HHAGG and I think the food is good it is just way too big of portions. They have an unusual menu with a different take on everyday items. The Peppermill has a more traditional menu. They both have huge portions and I like going to both places. But neither place is a gourmet destination.

I think Planet Dailes at PH is very good and everything I have had there has been good. It is just a little noisy for my tastes.

6. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never tried to the lounge. Would love to find a great very dirty gin martini. Maybe they have one. Thanks for the info.

7. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Peppermill all the way. Love the decor. I've only had drinks and nachos around the firepit in the lounge...but it it was a good value and a wonderful experience.

8. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last year we signed up for text offers from Total Rewards and while there we were sent a buy one tractor special get one free. It was really good but way to much food. It was so good we ended up going two days in a row.

Mark

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Peppermill fer-shure, ya know.

HHAGG was like totally 144 to the max. :(

10. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Peppermill is pretty good and has a cool vibe to it, no reason to ever eat at HHAGG. If you want something close to PH i would go to Mon Ami Gabi, great spot for breakfast and pretty cheap.

11. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1, Mon ami is awesome. Haven't ever eaten at Peppermill, but have heard good reviews from people. HHAGG is nothing more than a mediocre breakfast served with a couple lbs of potatoes, which seems to make people think that it's super great for some reason.

12. Wanger1969

Wanger1969 Iowa Nice

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Peppermill hands down. Both have good food, but Peppermill is such a fun environment. I also think Peppermill has a more varied menu that will appeal to more people. HHAGG feels tired, like I've eaten there before.

13. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another vote for Mon ami. If you can get the outdoor seating makes meal for me more enjoyable.

14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry if you have read this before. I know I've b*tched a couple of times here about this. Last year I tried the "New Improved" HHAGG at the Rio. I had previously been to the one at the old IP and was not impressed, but my brother and his GF just *HAD* to try it, I was hungry, and I just said what the {heck}. My mistake. :(

At the podium I said I had heard that they now have a regular American breakfast with sensible portion sizes and asked if it was true. They said it was.

I forget exactly what my brother had, but his plate came out looking like a lone pine tree on a bald mountain! They stick a sprig of rosemary in about anything. I had a simple sausage and egg breakfast and they speared a sprig of rosemary (I assume that was what it was) in the biscuit and it was very topheavy. Anyway ...

My scrambled eggs looked and tasted like steamtable eggs, done in a batch and not cooked to order. The sausages were very ok. It came with "fresh fruit" which was a singular strawberry and a small watermelon slice. The potatoes were gross! Cubed potatoes which were almost black and majorly overseasoned. It tasted like they just dumped 11 different herbs and spices at random in there! I complained about them and they said "that's the way they make them" or some such drek. The biscuit was crumbly, not flaky (translated s.t.a.l.e.) and I had this after-taste kinda like pine-sol or turpentine (not that I know what turpentine tastes like!) all morning from the rosemary.

I know this place has its fans, but I've not been impressed at all in two visits. A place like Blueberry Hill or, yes, Peppermill would have been better!

Oh well, so it goes ...

15. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For close to PH, I love Mon Ami. If you are willing to go to Peppermill, I suggest Blueberry Hill down Flamingo. It's a family style diner with lots of selection and the best pancakes and French toast.

16. slimmy28

slimmy28 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Peppermill has that old neon feel to it. Breakfast is good, not spectacular, but I think it's the better choice of HHAGG. Now if you go on the lounge side after breakfast, get a Scorpion. $18 drink with about 6 different shots of alcohol in it...it will get your day started. Have fun!

17. NJS24

NJS24 Voice of Reason

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HHAGG is overrated.

With that said, the chicken & waffles is a MUST every single trip.

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blueberry Hill is true old school! No faux-retro here, just a good basic breakfast (or lunch) done very well. Prices are not too bad either, I would say less than Peppermill and certainly less than HHAGG. There can be a line at peak breakfast times. There's another one just off Flamingo at Pecos or Sandhill, forget which one, I'm usually not the one driving, which is often not as crowded. We often do that one with a couple who loves Sams Town.

19. trellaine

trellaine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked Margaritaville as well. Pleasantly surprised. I sat on the deck. Nobody around. Mind you it was quite early. But it was peaceful and food pretty good.

20. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll get lots of food at both.

Peppermill over HHAGG if you have a car and are in no rush. They say it won't be closing; I'd still try to experience it while you can.

Another suggestion, the Black Bear Diner on west Tropicana.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.