1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pretty damn fine Players Championship

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was good stuff. And say what you want about Fowler, that was a close for the ages, and then he kept it going in the playoff.

Also nice to see Pouty Poulter have more meltdowns.

2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, Fowler really kept it together and stiffed # 17 each time he played it in the final round. Sergio also showed that he still cannot handle the pressure. not a total meltdown, but just can't hit the needed shots at the right time.

3. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, Ricky was awesome......but what happened with the wedge into 18 in the playoff?

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good golf. I have nothing bad to say about Fowler or his girlfriend. How does he hit it 330yds?

Yeah, he did chunk that wedge a bit on 18 but a bad shot for them is a good shot for me.

5. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

I've never been a fan of Sergio, but man that guy just can't get it done.

6. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think he was still playing the earlier yardage when the wind was up.
    And he didn't flush it either.

7. sevenyo11

sevenyo11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very exciting ending but didn't care for the jerk offs heckling Sergio, especially on 17 when he backed off the ball.

8. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ken2v - yeah, it was a fine finish at The Players Championship. Remarkable how so many players were in the mix until the very end. Ricky Fowler showed up big under the pressure. He played well in all the majors last year; maybe this win signals he's ready for prime time on a regular basis. Hope so.

later, GVJ

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm just amazed that Rickie stuck the ball on 17 so many times. The guy must have been in the zone to have no fear on that hole. But then one of his shots on 16 (was it 16? I forget) almost went in the drink but turned up perfectly near the hole. Good for him though, he took such a beating the past few years about not being able to finish, overrated, etc.

Sergio doesn't bother me much. Actually he has gotten better, he was one of the slower players that people would heckle him to speed up. He also was a mediocre putter but seems to have improved so it's good that he is doing well lately. Yeah, people don't like him because he acts like a dick sometimes but hopefully with age he and others will mellow out. Look at Monty, he was always someone to root against but since he made the senior tour he seems to have mellowed out.

Yeah, Poulter is another one of them that we love to see perform badly.

10. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Yeah, Poulter is another one of them that we love to see perform badly."
    Very sad to say he seems to get the last, very pronounced, laugh every other September. Will not miss him when he's finally done making the Euro team.

11. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was an awesome tournament, I was rooting for Sergio but I think Fowler was a worthy winner after the way he played those last 4 holes. This could be the turning point for Fowler and he could be a major winner by the end of the year.

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that is probably one reason why he is disliked by many in America. Monty was another one in his heyday but part of that was his arrogant attitude (the way he came across). Plus he has that intense look with his wide eyes that sometimes freak people out.

As for the Ryder cup, the US needs to step it up or else they will continue to have bad ryder cups. Let's face it, the Euros have the better players now.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If intensity and a freakish stare get the U.S. against you, then we all must really really hate Keegan Bradley. lol

I don't agree the Euros have better players. Now maybe when the lineup was Seve/Sandy/Nick/Bernard at the top, then maybe. Ours guys simply don't play the Ryder Cup well. Our play goes much much deeper down the line.

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I would have said so before but after the miracle at Medina in 2012 I'm not as sure. We all thought it would be a cakewalk since the US was up so much going into singles competition.

The general knock is normally team play for the US (as we saw in 2014) but that time they did good but their singles play let them down.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And us getting schooled in singles is why I say it's mental.

16. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very enjoyable tourney. Speaks to the integrity of golf that millions knew the putt on 18 would break right, but the ones putting did not, except for one lucky guy who got a read. Ryder Cup? Fedex Cup? Golf is not a team sport, and an event is over when they cut the checks.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not that cut/dried. "Team" play is the backbone of most club play around the world: two on two. And the Ryder Cup is not gimmicky. It's been around a long time now.

The FedEx Cup is a farce. But the payout is along the way with a bonus pool. Kinda like the tiered payouts of match play events.

18. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't believe we missed the ending. Dvr'd it and not enough time. Glad Ricky pulled through. I am a fan of Sergio's, and like to see him play well, but must pull for American players. Rory is tearing it up this weekend. I would love to see my man, Phil, make a comeback

19. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always seen the Ryder as a curious event that is sort of a half-friendly golf outing with your world class buds. True, most of the competitors at that level are always serious about winning, but it ratchets down several steps without the big dough. I certainly don't see a golf game as a way to display patriotic fervor. Last year, I could not believe the emphasis placed on selection of the players who would round out the team, the second guessing of what the captain did in the above and in the actual selection of who plays what when with and against whom versus what other captains had done in the past, and the anxiety over the fact that the US players did not play well in the format. No, not a gimmick, but also not quite a golf tournament. Mostly it was what the fans and media made of it that bothered me.

FedEx, OTOH, seems to me to be an artificial way to whip a little more interest out of the fans and get better attendance out of some of the name players as the season wanes. Complete farce, as you said.

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Presidents Cup is that curiosity. In typical fashion, the tour trying to make something of one of the few golf nuggets it doesn't already possess. But when the Ryder Cup went past GB&I -- meaning it became meaningfully competitive -- it took off. And then that was about the time a pretty damn good slew of players was coming up out of the Euro Tour.

Like the Derby, NFL draft, the new season lead-in to the most recent inane sit-com on the airwaves, the American consuming public loves the overplay. That doesn't take away from the event(s).

I think the lack of money -- to the players -- ratchets up the action in the RC (or the bristle of the organizers). Look back when Duval suggested the players be allowed to designate some $$$ to a charity of their choosing. And the RC is ALL about money to the PGA of America, it's humongous cash cow. Certainly there is no nationalistic rah rah in the Prez Cup -- Filipino and South African players aren't going to instantly unite in jingoism. It is now part and parcel of the RC. And that's fine. It's actually cool. Once every two years golf can -- and refreshingly should -- be more than yet another seven-figure check and a stroke-play 72-holer. At Quail Hollow, it didn't matter that an Ulsterman pasted a bunch of Yankees (and others). I'd say golf fans are decidedly aware of the flag come RC, however. It's also one of those few events that draws in non-players and casual fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.