1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cab Refuses to Take You?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Julie888, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can a Vegas cab driver refuse your request for a trip? If so, what reasons are there?

The one I'm really wondering about is that the trip is too short, i.e. just a few blocks. The taxi was located in a hotel taxi zone.

I couldn't find the answer when I was skimming the Taxi Authority site. If there is a written rule, one way or the other, I'd appreciate reading it.

Thanks.

2. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

They will drive you to the other side of the street if you ask. You will need to hail the cab from the Taxi line...apparently they get in trouble if they pick you up in the staging zone.

3. PTC Larry

PTC Larry Off We Go

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We went to the staging area because we needed a van cab. Driver told us to get in and took us three long blocks, he enjoyed the tip....

4. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Refusals happen. It wasn't to me but to someone who has some mobility issues that aren't obvious.

It would be nice to print out the rules that explain a valid reason for refusal or what they can't refuse.

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Short taxi rides I remember are from Caesars to Cosmo (recently) and Paris to Flamingo (some time ago).

6. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

7. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is my understanding that if you have the money, they have to take you, unless you post a safety issue.

8. REELmoneySlotFan

REELmoneySlotFan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had that happen to us once. We had walked the Strip from the Stratosphere to Mandalay Bay and back to the Peppermill (where we had dinner). We were so tired after dinner we didn't have the energy to walk back to The STRAT so we asked for a cab. No cab would come because it was a Saturday night and that short drive to the Stratosphere wasn't high not on their priority list. So we crossed the street and walked to Circus Circus, waited in the taxi line and got a ride back to the Strat eventually. Gave the cab driver a decent trip for the short ride. We try to avoid taking cabs in Vegas as much as possible. Most cab drivers annoy me like there's no tomorrow. One of the first things they always ask is "where are you from?". As soon as I say The Netherlands, they automatically think they can long haul us and get away with it. I've had arguments with cab drivers for not giving them a tip. My reply was "yeah buddy, why don't you just appreciate the fact I don't call the Taxicab Authority on you for taking me the scenic route"....

9. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, to update, I reached out to a few cabbies in Vegas via Twitter and the info I was given was that yes, they have to transport if you have the money, unless specific reasons are met. Here is the Revised Code:
    NRS 706.8847  Compliance with passenger’s directions; exceptions.
    1.  A driver shall not refuse or neglect to transport any orderly person to that person’s destination if:
    (a) That person requests the driver to transport the person; and
    (b) The requested destination is within the area allocated to the certificate holder who employs the driver.
    2.  Subsection 1 does not apply if the driver can show beyond a reasonable doubt that:
    (a) The driver has good reason to fear for the driver’s personal safety;
    (b) The taxicab has been previously engaged by another person; or
    (c) The driver is forbidden by law or regulation to carry the person requesting transportation.
    (Added to NRS by 1969, 1247)

10. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On a trip just after Aria opened I was staying at Bellagio for a few nights and then was moving to Aria. I was planning on taking a cab between the 2...until I got there and figured the cab driver wouldn't have really wanted that trip. I didn't know they were as close as they are.

11. sandybeachbar

sandybeachbar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a cab a few years ago as I was moving between Wynn to Palazzo (right next door) . The driver actually laughed and got one heck of a good tip.

12. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How much was the fare?

13. sandybeachbar

sandybeachbar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't remember how much but I gave him 20.00.

14. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Years ago, I was with a group of four staying with High Roller friend, who had secured two suites & 1 regular room @ the Mirage.
    Most of our play was there, but then he decided he wanted to try the Venetian & says, "Let's grab a quick cab guys - I'll pay.".
    I tell him "Larry - the Venetian is across the street, fer cryin' out loud...we can walk!"
    He says "Screw that" (only he didn't use the word 'screw').
    So, we pile into cab at the Mirage cab-line. He tells the driver "Venetian...here...take this now." and hands him a 20.
    Driver was fine with that.

Annual Spring Trip!
  15. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much! Exactly the type of info I thought there might be.

16. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We took a cab from Aria to Excal, the driver moaned when we told him our destination. Fare was 6 bucks, I gave him a nice tip and he smiled. BTW, it was raining so we didn't want to walk.

17. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, no doubt he was good with that.

- - - Updated - - -

That was a pretty good tip im sure.

18. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only been rejected once. I was at the SLS and wanted to go to the North Outlet. Cab said no...which was really weird. I guess he wanted to head towards the Strip. Outlets are a gold mine for cabs, always a long lineup. Didn't understand

19. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Super Bowl weekend at in and out I heard a cabbie decline a trip downtown for some reason.

My bachelor party weekend, my uncle actually flipped a coin with a limo driver at bellagio to take the whole group to Caesars. The limo driver lost but my uncle still gave him $100.

20. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On easter I was refused a trip from Downtown to the Premium Outlet North. I held up a $20 and said if you take me it's yours, suddenly he agreed. When we arrived and the fare was like $6.80 or something I gave him $7 and walked away. I had planned to give him the $20 initially but he burned that bridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.