1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker VP Strategy table question

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by fenway68, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always been curious about the answer to this; ever since I started learning some VP strategies, there has been something nagging about this table, even though I do not play deuces wild anymore, I thought I'd ask.

IN WoO strategy table, #23 under "0" dueces is listed as Garbage, discard everything....yet there is a #24,25 and 26

http://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/deuces-wild/full-pay/optimal/

If you are supposed to play the highest on the list, when would you ever play 24,25, or 26...if never, why list them at all? I love math (if that's behind the explanation) so, explain away.....

signed,
    just curious (aka Fenway68, aka Scott)!

2. vetsen

vetsen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Discard Everything has a higher overall average payback than the hands listed below it, which is why it's listed higher than the other hands.

However, there are hands with specific card combinations which give the other choices a higher value at times than holding nothing.

For example, in deuces wild, it is generally better to hold nothing than it is to hold a suited 87, so hold nothing is listed higher. But, when there are no flush or straight penalties in the hand with s87, s87 is the better hold than to toss everything.

Hope that makes sense.

3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, Vetsen is right as this has to do with lack of penalty cards. But the very bottom choice for no deuces on the wizard's list, 3 to a straight flush Ace-low, I'm struggling to find a reason to hold that at full pay deuces wild vs. tossing it all away in any scenario.

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think its just a case of The Wizard being complete and listing those hand options, along with their expected returns, for when people look at the list and ask "what am I supposed to do with my suited ace, three and five?" or "I'm supposed to hold ace-jack suited in Jacks or Better, but not in Deuces Wild?" and that because he is listing the return values there you can see the value of the play versus something like discarding all cards (which on a quarter machine amounts to losing 6.5 cents in long term expected value if you hold that AJ suited instead of discarding it).

5. vetsen

vetsen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed, I don't think that's right. Guessing it's supposed to be JT7s, which is only held with penalty cards.

6. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys, appreciate the input....makes sense...I don't know the advanced strats as well as you guys do, but knew enough not to play beyond "garbage-toss" when I played DW on a regular basis before switching to BPDlx and DDB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.