1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Disneyland

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by wanker751, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I am taking my 4 year old son to Dinseyland in July. We are doing two days and think that is plenty. So 3 nights about 6 miles away as well as 4 nights in Carlsbad on the water.

For two days, should I eat the $120 and get the park hopper or just do 1 day at one park and one at the other. My concern is if he really likes one park doesn't like the other.

Suggestions? Tips to maximize his fun?

2. powersof10

powersof10 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel like both parks are worth a day now whereas a while back California Adventure wasn't. Maybe do California Adventure first and save the better Disneyland for the second day. Also, check out the Southern California City Pass. You get both disney parks, sea world and universal studios:

http://www.citypass.com/southern-california

edit: It looks like the disney tickets with the city pass are park hoppers.

3. powersof10

powersof10 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another thing I noticed on the city pass site is that the current tickets must begin use before June 2 but maybe the new tickets under the slight price increase (on March 23) would be good during your July visit.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two days is going to be pretty tight. And conditions in July are going to suck since Anaheim isn't super close to the coast. And most lines are outside, fyi. As far as the park hopper, I think a lot of it depends on how "adventurous" your son will be on rides. Disneyland has the bulk of "slow, kiddy rides". Also, he should be at least 40" by the time you go right? I forget how fast children grow...lol If somehow he would not be 40" by the time you go, then you definitely will want the park hopper. I might be leaning toward it regardless. If you had 3 days, i would just say 2 days Disneyland and 1 day California Adventure.

The three things you MUST do in California Adventure is go see the "World of Color", ride "Soarin'" (as long as he handles the flight to Cali okay), and "Toy Story Midway Mania". But to get a decent viewing spot though for "World of Color" have to spend your one and only fastpass on it early and then have to arrive at the time they suggest (an hour before the show begins...:() It's better than the Bellagio fountains, imo. Seeing this is more for you and your wife than your son, but it's really worth seeing. I would also try to knock out Soarin' and "Toy Story Midway Mania" early. If he likes fast rides, then do "Radiator Speed Racers" there as well. But it's a pretty rough ride if you sensitive to bumpy motion like me. It actually broke down in the middle of our ride after my g/f convinced me I could handle it, and I was sorta happy about the breakdown. The end of the ride is 40 MPH and it's rougher than a normal car :eek: This is one of the most popular rides in the park and will have significant lines.

While writing this up...I examined most of the rides and give my opinions/reservations because sadly my body acts like it's about 4 years old on these things.

Now Disneyland rides I would recommend for reasonably adventurous 4 year olds (basically anything I'll ride since I'm a pussy):
    Alice in Wonderland (Disneyland only ride)
    Autotopia (we skipped this, but we've rode the Disneyworld version)
    Big Thunder Ranch Petting Zoo (Disneyland only)
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    Captain EO (more about if you want to watch Michael Jackson...a bit loud)
    Casey Jr. Circus Train (Disneyland only ride)
    Donald's Boat (skipped...but might be good for a 4 yr. old...disneyland only)
    Dumbo
    Fantasmic! (Disneyland Fireworks we unfortunately missed)
    Finding Nemo Submarine (g/f thought this was stupid tho...lol...Disneyland only ride)
    Gadget's Go Coaster (if you think he'd like mini coasters...I don't)
    Goofy's Playhouse (skipped...but might be good for a 4 yr. old...disneyland only)
    Haunted Mansion
    It's a Small World
    Jungle Cruise (may not interest kids a bunch though)
    King Arthur's Carousel
    Mad Tea Party (decent amount of motion though especially if you start spinning the teacup)
    Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    Mickey's House and Meet Mickey (skipped...but might be good for a 4 yr. old...disneyland only)
    Minnie's House (skipped...but might be good for a 4 yr. old...disneyland only)
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (Disneyland only ride)
    Peter Pan's Flight (must do...and big lines, try to go early)
    Pinocchio's Daring Journey (we skipped this or I forgot it...Disneyland Only ride)
    Pirates of the Caribbean (did this in Florida instead...some small drops in the dark)
    Snow White's Scary Adventures (may have skipped...we did it at Disneyworld before they ditched it)
    Splash Mountain (if he can handle a big end drop, by the photo that was taken of me by the device of the FL version...yeah, it wasn't pretty)
    Storybook Land Canal Boats (Disneyland only ride)

We didn't hit California Adventure that great because it was near 100F and we only had one day. Along with the rides I previously mentioned, these are probably 4 year old appropriate... We skipped Bug Land a lot, and that's were a lot of the young kid friendly rides are.

Flik's Flyers (we skipped...Disneyland only ride)
    Francis' Ladybug Boogie ( skipped...Disneyland only ride)
    Heimlich's Chew Chew Train ( skipped...Disneyland only ride)
    Innoventions (skipped...seen in Disneyworld)
    It's Tough to Be a Bug! (skipped...done in FL...this one might scare some...the seat acts like bugs crawl under your butt in the dark...a good number of the youngest kids were crying)
    Jumpin' Jellyfish
    King Triton's Carousel
    The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel's Undersea Adventure (more for girls...the live Ariel is pretty good looking though)
    Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (moderate amount of rotation like the tea cups)
    Mickey's Fun Wheel (some cars swing freely...we picked a stationary car...g/f gave me crap)
    Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!
    MuppetVision 3D (skipped...seen in Florida)
    Radiator Springs Racers (significant jerky motion)
    Soarin' (okay if he's okay with flying in an airplane)
    Toy Story Mania!
    Tuck and Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies (skipped...Disneyland ride only)

Statistics say Disneyland is attended by a rough factor of 2 to 1 vs. California Adventure, so if you can only schedule two days, I would probably consider the Park Hopper. I think g/f agrees...but really she told me you need to stay there longer...lol With 3 days, we would just do 2 Disneyland, 1 California Adventure.

5. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely Anaheim in July is going to be hot!

But Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters is the best ride ever!

I would just ride that over and over and over all day long.

6. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not all that worried about heat, better that florida in july. My son is a trooper but probably won't be adventurous on rides. He is already over 40 inches.

No dice on staying later we really wanna spend the rest of the time at the beach and 3 days in a row for him may be a bit much. We have 1 day at del mar so that would for sure cut into beach time.

Ugh disney is so expensive!

7. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly it is more for my wife and son than me.... I do not enjoy rides (heights are not my friend) or people and other people's kids!) But my son still talks about legoland last year.

8. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about Toy Story Midway Mania? I like that one way more than Buzz, except for the longer lines. :(

Average weather says it will be cooler than Orlando by about 5 degrees (87 vs. 92 for high), but they predicted mid 80s a week before we went in Sept. Nope...mid to high 90s instead. It sucked...Vegas was cooler, wtf?!?!

And Disney is very expensive for 3 days or less. It sucks.

9. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With a 4 year old, I think 2 days is plenty. If it was me, I'd just do the main Disney park for 2 days. There is plenty to keep you entertained and it's not like your son will know he's missing the other park.

At that age, our kids enjoyed the rides but the biggest surprise to us was that they really enjoyed going over to Tom Sawyer's Island and just being a kid. Running through the caves, climbing on the forts and taking the raft there and back. We bought wooden rifles for them at the Pirate store (no longer politically correct of course) and they had a great time just running around pretending they were explorers.

Don't be that guy that drags their kids around from morning till night because "by god, we spent a fortune for tickets and your bloody well going to enjoy all of it!". I've seen too many kids in tears at the end of the night while their parents insist they watch the parade when they'd rather be sleeping. Take a break in the afternoon and go for a swim. Since he's only four, he has a lifetime ahead of him to see all Disney has to offer.

Sounds like a great trip though. I bet he loves the beach.

10. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But so cal is not as ball soakingly humid for lack of a better term!

11. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But so cal is not as ball soakingly humid for lack of a better term!

12. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At legoland all he wanted to do was the water park! We could not get him out of there. Yeah we got a great hotel with kitchen across from ocean. 3 minute walk. I am looking forward more to that!

I was glad parking lot had in and out at DL. So we can do afternoon nap.

do you guys know if hopper can be bought at the park?

13. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a great trip!

I can't help with if the hopper can be bought at the park but it reminded me that the hotels often give discounts on tickets if bought through them. It might be worth a call to the hotel to find their prices. It also saves you one lineup already because you can avoid the ticket booth at DL :)

14. Big dan

Big dan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back from there. I would not consider going for less than 3 days ( park hopper is best but if not I would do 2 days Disneyland 1 day California adventure). If you can only swing 2 days I would do Disneyland both days. Plenty to do for a 4 year old, they usually find one ride they like and wanna go over and over again. I think they are raping people at the price of the hopper as you can easily spend all day in either park

15. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah the more I think about it, you might be better off skipping California Adventure completely with only two days since he's only 4. And especially if you think you'll eventually come back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.