1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Scored some nice flights from Chicago $119 SWA and United.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Viva Las Vegas, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booked my round trip in Sept for $119 each way (SWA outbound, United return).

My June trip was scored for $119 each way a few months ago, using credits from my canceled November trip (same SWA outbound, United return).

I typically leave to Midway from work and return to O"Hare which I live near. Haven't seen my $99 SWA rates in a few years, and I can't recall having a rate lower than $119 on United over the same period (perhaps $109).

If you have some flexibility, Frontier has even lower rates. I had a pleasant experience my one flight on Frontier, but others here have hit or miss reviews regarding dependability issues (following schedule / canceling flights),

2. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last trip I got flights for 79 or so from MDW to LAS on SWA.

3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For select days, a couple of return flights to MDW are $69 right now. But a return after the Mayweather fight is $619...:evillaugh

And St. Louis gets so hosed by SWA. Cheapest is $183 each way (what it usually is). :cry:

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  4. Viva Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didn't realize they still reached $100 and under. I rebooked both of my current flights, and snagged $7.10 in credits for each of the two rebooked flights, so I have that going for me. :)

When I retire, I'll have more flexibility to fly Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday for the best rates. Have 141 months, give or take, before that happens. Looking at 50 months before Boyd Young At Heart kicks in. :thumbsup:

Too bad SWA doesn't have much competition in Saint Louis. It's cheap to fly to/from Chicago at times from Saint Louis, and you may save some $ if you have a couple extra hours to spare.

Go Cardinals!!! (Suck it Blues :evillaugh )

[youtube]WGsIx52iLPM[/youtube]

5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good job saving some money!

Yeah, we have flown out of KC the last two trips (airport 3 hours further away than STL for us) because they are $95/leg for midweek.

As for the Blues...eh...if we can stop choking in the playoffs, this is as good of a year as any! But I worry if they make it to the Final, then I'm screwed, because I would REALLY want to go to one game...but it will probably cost most of a Vegas Trip flight/hotel/food budget for us!...:grrr::grrr: I really don't have the money to splurge on that!

We splurged on the 2011 World Series (Game 1) because prices dropped to face (plus 10% fee) 5 hours before game time on Stub Hub. Face for nosebleeds behind home plate ~$200/each.

Game shot:
    [​IMG]

Here is an idea how bleh the seats were. Although Busch isn't terrible for upper deck. Also an interesting shot as she was playing with her camera. All colors but red are muted...
    [​IMG]

Post Game Fireworks after a 3-2 win vs. the Texas Rangers:
    [​IMG]

Glad I bought the tickets and went, but I am 99.9% sure I won't do it again. And if I could have seen the future, I would have went to Game 6 instead!!!

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  6. Viva Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome pictures Tringlomane! The Expos were my favorite National League team (The White Sox are my favorite team), and for a long time the Mets were my second, but with the Wilpons and their new stadium (an shrine of the Dodgers, not the Mets), the Cardinals, formerly my third favorite NL team, have moved to the number one position.

AL: 1. Chicago White Sox; 2. Kansas City Royals, 14. Boston Red Cubs, 15. New York Yankees.
    NL: 1. Saint Louis Cardinals (Formerly Montreal Expos - will regain the top spot if they snag the Devil Rays from Tampa), 2. New York Metropolitans, 13. San Francisco Giants, 14. Washington Nationals, 15. Los Angeles Dodgers.

It was great that they won the 2011 World Series, but I am still bitter they lost to the Balco Boys from Boston in 2013. I was fortunate to attend all of the home games during the 2005 Chicago White Sox playoff run and World Series title (also attended both 1983 home games when they lost to the master Earl Weaver's Baltimore Orioles). Had to commit to 2006 Season Tickets (they were easy to sell - went to some games) but it was worth it.

Liked the old Busch Stadium (never was able to go to Sportsman's - wasn't born yet), and the new stadium is very nice, one of the top 10 built over the past 20+ years (I believe Pittsburgh and Seattle are the two best new stadiums). Liked the remodel over the Busch's last years (with the upper deck and other changes) to break a bit from the original donut. Our family were Chicago Cardinals football fans (still hate the Bears though my brothers like them for some insane reason). The Cubs should finally be good within a year or two, but I hope Saint Louis retains their dominance over the Baby Bears.

As a long time Budweiser drinker (AB connection - family works for a distributor and long time stockholder (now InBev)), I have started the road toward beer snobbery. Like several Goose Island beers, Michelob, Hoegaarden and Stella among InBev products, and several independents the distributor carries. May favorite beers to date are the Quads / ABT (Trappistes Rochefort 10 my favorite of the bunch), but I like trying all different breweries and types. I'm up to 75 on my Beer Advocate and Rate Beer accounts (76 on RB - Had a cider). It has been a fun several weeks since I started on my journey. Will check out The Linq bar, might pay for the beers as it may be cheaper than playing there. Thanks for your posts highlighting that bar, and of course all of your VP information!

Anyway, hope the Cardinals square up against the White Sox this year!

7. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same with OKC 183 is the cheapest I see for our JUly trip.

8. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tulsa has gone crazy also, $171 is usually available, with a rare $151 thrown in every few months. Still beats 550 plus bags r/t from our local Missouri Airport. I don't blame Trig for driving at all, I'd do the drive to KC (same distance as Tulsa for me) if the roads didn't suck compared to interstate.

9. Grid

Grid Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always fly Spirit from Ohare. My flight in January this year was $128 round trip all taxes and fees. I have only used them for flights for the past 4 years now. I also use them when i fly to Atlantic City. Last trip it was $78.00 round trip!

10. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Viva, that was very helpful. My son booked out of Chicago when I sent him your thread. Got a good price. At the same time I booked the nonstop out of Albany for $211 each way when it had been $239 and both saved some money. I had enough rapid rewards to pay for the flight at that point, and I am always happy to have my flight booked on points early and only change if there is a big sale, which from Albany there rarely is.

11. Viva Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're welcome Dewey! Glad it worked out for your son, and I hope others have snagged low fares.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.