1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

nice car rental rate

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mcander, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcander

mcander Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just booked a decent car rental rate.It is for a week starting 02/17.The amount is $126.45 all taxes and fees
    included,so it is the total amount for the week.I got it off the Southwest website,no codes needed.It is Payless
    rental,midsize.If you have a SW Visa,they throw in an extra 600 points.

2. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

I'm not getting anything near that rate for April but i wouldn't rent from Payless anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

3. dianebec

dianebec Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NandJfrmNJ
    So, what's wrong with Payless. I also have a week booked the end of the month at a super rate.

4. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

We had a very bad experience with them in FL years ago (our flight was late and when we got to the rental place with my 8o yr old mom they had no car for us) and I vowed never to rent with them again.

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We get in late next sunday I hope that doesn't happen to us- we have a car booked with them

6. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jerry: I don’t understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?

Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That’s why you have the reservation.

Agent: I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don’t think you do. If you did, I’d have a car. See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don’t know how to *hold* the reservation and that’s really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

7. Froggy

Froggy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep checking rates I kept getting my car rate first week of March for 245 found it on Thursday for 109 taxes included with thrifty

8. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quite often the best price will be the week of your trip...Unless it is a high volume week. I haven't booked yet...need to pickup a rental on 3/31 for 9 nights....We do Dollar every trip but prices are still way too high....If I am lucky I will get it under $300 all in by then...right now it is close to $400. The extra few nights right now over the weekly rental are pretty bad. Never used Payless and good luck to you. We prefer better reputation dealers with quick pick up clubs. To be truthful we thought last Novembers Dollar rental was a pos car...first time we ran into that with them.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented from Payless before. Yes, they are a little tight with their inventory (even in vegas), when I once rented a compact car from them, they had 1 compact car for me so it was easy for me but there was a family waiting, they rented a full sized car but had to wait until the car was returned and prepped. They were waiting for almost an hour for the car to be returned.

IMHO I don't think it is too much of a problem if you arrive during normal working hours but if you arrive late at night you may have to wait until the other person returns the car. Then what happens if the other guy wants to keep the car longer, are you out of luck?

One other thing, they sometimes refuse to upgrade you if your car isn't available. I think it's because the inventory is so tight, they cannot give you an upgrade because that car is probably slated to be rented by someone else who is paying for the larger car.

Lately I've been paying a little more for the national chains like budget, dollar, thrifty and Alamo (through Costco if possible). Most of those places have more inventory so I get to pick and choose from cars and sometimes I get an automatic upgrade anyway.

Oh yeah, the lines at Payless vegas are sometimes long and take awhile so be prepared to wait to get your car. Unlike the national chains I don't think they have an express program so you have to wait in like like everyone else.

Yes, payless usually has the lowest rental prices (next to Fox or ez) but I usually check rates regularly and rebook if I find a better rate elsewhere.

10. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 for not using Payless (or ez-rent a car, or the other no names) Junky cars, awful service, high pressure sales tactics to buy the insurance. I'll pay the extra few bucks a day for a reputable company.

11. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agent: Do you want the insurance?

Jerry: Yeah you better give me the insurance because I'm going to beat the hell out of this car.

12. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's save you kids some time.........

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HWTMa76BzH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.