1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Storm Juno... A DUD.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by jfw831, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfw831

jfw831 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sunday this storm Juno, or I should say meteorologist,weather forecasters caused panic, not only to me but the whole mid atlantic region. Their forecast was off,,,by 75-100 miles. The blame, a new system, ,the european model was used. The money this major mistake caused is in the high millions. It caused me to reschedule our getaway to next Monday, 2/2. I will miss Carrot Top, I've never seen him. Seen a few handful of shows, never Carrot top. Our days where planned, or rather say, things to do if wanted. We had a car, at 12 bucks a day, to get around. No harm was done, but what a Bummer this embarrassing forecast, blizzard of the century, killer storm was, caused by a ,,,,,,,,,computer forecast. Just thinking,,,,,now I'm reading about the airlines profits are Soaring, yet no relief for passengers. American Airlines CEO, Doug Parker said, "We're going to contiue operating American Airlines ,,as though oil was still above $100 a barrel." After announcing a $4.2 BILLION Profit in 2014. The greed and this guy isn't shy. My wife said, early this morning,we could of been just getting in our rooms, just before going off to work, I laughed. Next week, it will happen, oh, I checked Spirit for yesterday, flight left early from Philly AND arrived early in ViVa Las Vegas. Sorry for the long talk, just yapping off. I hear, this is the truth, I didn't listen directly, but another yankee clipper is in the forecast........... uggggggggggg.

2. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    and people wonder why housing prices are so high in southern California.....

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even though airlines do provide public transportation, they don't operate as a public service like the local RTC. Why are folks so shocked a business wants to make money? Supply and demand... and people are flying!!!

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just remember their new excuse..."we would sooner err on the side of caution":bang:

I must admit after last winter I was ready to move again, thinking moving back to WI was the biggest mistake we ever made. But this year hasn't been too bad. Some snow, some below zero cold, but nothing awful so far, compared to last year. (knock on wood).

I'm still on my first 5 gallons of gas for the snowblower. Last year I went through 25 gallons! Granted, two more full months of winter to go.

I used to work with an AMS meteorologist who also had a PHD and taught classes in meteorology. He admitted they can only forecast accurately 12 hours in advance. Forget all those 3, 5, 7 & 10 day forecasts. :thumbsdown:

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ahh, the horrible privations we face here in America. How do we endure? :evillaugh

6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have 30 inches of snow in my backyard. BOS was closed all day yesterday and at least half of today's flights are already cancelled.

I have a flight scheduled for Saturday morning.
    And a backup scheduled for later Saturday
    And a backup scheduled for Sunday
    And a backup scheduled for Monday.

That's winter travel. If my flight isn't cancelled by the time I have to leave the house, I go to the airport. If it gets cancelled after I get there, I go home and try again the next day.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just think of it as hedging your first bet, it will all still be there next week.

As for complaining about current profits in the airline industry, did you fork over an extra couple of bucks in 2009 when the industry lost $10 Billion? The damn shame is that airline employees who had multiple give backs will probably not get any of the largesse either. Boeing and Airbus have full order books for the next 8+ years, overseas demand for aircraft is high, so expanding routes is not so simple. With all of the consolidation of the major carriers in the industry and full planes, why discount? Would you? These CEO's care about Wall Street, not Main Street.

Richard Branson said it best, and I'm paraphrasing: "the best way to become a millionaire is to start out as a billionaire and start an airline". I read somewhere that the collective profit of the airline industry since its inception has been basically a break even.

I was on the fence about flying out to Chicago for a trade show, but I received an email from Frontier about a sale. Round trip from the Philly area about $150, two years ago I paid about $400.

8. jfw831

jfw831 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2009, no,,,I was in the soup lines myself, for 2 years. copped a roundtripper for $118.00, bout time prices drop a bit, millions, billions $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, next time won't be so nice.

9. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes in Canada in and after 2009 flight prices out of Winnipeg have been higher. One reason given was fuel prices...so yes we did hand over more.

2007: $300 all In round trip
    2008: $350 all in round trip

2010 and onward: added baggage fee (was told that it was because of higher gas prices - so weight restrictions imposed and added fee.
    Also increased charges directly for fuel.

Flew out of GFK last number of times with Alliegnat to get flights for about $400.

Flights out of Winnipeg now (routinely) $550-750.
    There are some deals still but I'm talking about the normal trend...not acceptions.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.