1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Battista's Hole in the Wall and Gluten Sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Babzy, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Babzy

Babzy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For years I've heard how great Battista's is (plus free unlimited wine!), but the problem is that it's a pasta place and I can't have gluten... so I've scoured the internet to try and find out if they can adjust any of the meals to make them gluten free but I can't find any info or reviews out there. Obviously pasta has gluten, but lots of places now offer gluten free pasta, or another side dish instead. Does anyone know if Battista's can accommodate a gluten sensitivity?

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I doubt if Battista's ever heard of gluten.

3. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice!! You took the words right out of my mouth:thumbsup:

4. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This might help and it might not. But, I've tried some different gluten pills which are supposed to act like those lactose pills you can take if you're lactose intolerant. I'm not celiac. I'm just sensitive to too much gluten. I can handle a piece of bread a couple times a week. But, to sit down to a nice plate of pasta is like asking to have bad things happen. You don't want to know. Anyhow, there's a few different kinds, I found some at the Walmart pharmacy, so they can't be that special. The only thing I would advise is be ready in case they don't work. So, do a trial run before Vegas. And be prepared to adjust the dose. I take more than directed, you might need to adjust upwards or downwards. I eat gluten free pasta at home but, let's face it, it's not the same. If I want pasta, I want pasta. So, that's how I do it.

Good luck.

5. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    (702) 732-1424 give them a call! Rather than have the VMB offer conjecture, opinion and sage advice get the truth!

In all my trips to Vegas I've only eaten there once and it was great. I think. Night was kinda fuzzy...

6. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

I'd tread lightly on the part about "hearing how great Battistas is". My opinion is that their press clippings are overrated and many others share the same sentiment.

7. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    in a list of the top 100 Italian restaurants in Las Vegas, Battista's would rank at 101.

8. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not gonna start a pissing match.. but if SO terrible why are they STILL in business? Would have closed LONG ago and opened up as something else.

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People seem to either love it or hate it.

We ate there last month. It was very good.

I really haven't figured out why so many people diss it. My guess is that they did not get what they were hoping for. Battista's is quite the contrast to the newer foodie-type Contemporary Italian or Italian fusion places. It's a very old-school red-sauce soul-food place.

Hmmmmm ..... Now that I think of it, I don't remember the accordion guy this last trip. ... Hmmmmm ....

10. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My guess why they're still open - great location, cute name, a certain atmosphere. Personally I'm in the hate camp. Sauces worse than Denny's, wine from a box, (I know it's unlimited, but still. . .) Red sauce so salty you could cure meat in it.
    If you like it, great - I just don't see any redeeming qualities.

11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you can add to the equation 40 million annual visitors so not having to simply rely on a local population of frequent visitors to keep the doors open. I'd also add that it is formulaic, it is repeatable -- good, bad or otherwise. That is huge with American consumers.

But here's the bottom line. Go. If you like it, it is good. If you don't like it, it is not good. I've watched this A-List meltdown here for a decade, often in the middle of it, and I'm pretty certain there's not a person here who has changed his/her mind based on the rhetoric, the invective when it (often) escalates to that point. Go. Try it. Make up your own mind.

To the OP's specific question: If the menu isn't clear on gluten, as suggested, give a call and ask the question. Good luck.

12. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with Ken2v views on this. Anyone on this board and elsewhere know what camp I am in..But with all the info on the internet IMHO its foolish to just pick a place because its cute or location with over 50 restaurants well within walking distance.

13. Babzy

Babzy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the replies... we ended up calling the restaurant directly and they said that they can not provide a gluten free meal. Oh well, at least I tried! ;)

14. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife has been able to get a scallop and polenta dish there before, but it's one of the "specials" so they don't always have it. I imagine they would always have polenta, though, so you could probably just get a shrimp and polenta dish if you wanted to go. Also, their julienne vegetables are way better than the spinach, in my opinion. Really, the only thing I've gotten there that I liked was the chicken parm. I think it's worth going there at least once, but don't have expectations for a life-changing meal.
    For the gluten-tolerant, if you like chicken parm, it's worth getting. Also, I always ask for spaghetti instead of penne pasta, b/c I suspect they cook a ton of penne and just have it sitting around, so it isn't always "fresh" like the spaghetti. By fresh, I mean, freshly boiled, not freshly made. I doubt you find anything like that at Battistas. So, chicken parm, spaghetti instead of penne, and the vegetables instead of the spinach. That's not a bad meal for $25-30 in the middle of the strip.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.