1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Despite its charm and powerful, timeless message, would this classic even be aired today? Wouldn't the PC cops be all over it for the bullying and hate leveled at poor Chuck? And OMG, it's about ... Christmas.

I wasn't quite five when this first aired, and have never missed it, a fact abetted in modern times courtesy of replays and on-demand and DVRs and what not. I love Max and the Grinch, Burl Ives and Rudolph, but this is the standard of standards.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, CHARLIE BROWN!

(Cue kids.)

2. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I watch all my childhood favourites every year and this is one of them! Good point on whether it would have been released in today's PC climate. Not Christmas related, but I loved All in the Family and that sure as hell wouldn't have seen the light of day today. Somehow music is exempt as when I listen to some of today's music lyrics, I cringe. Guess it's official, I'm old!

3. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always laugh out loud when Snoopy kisses Lucy and she goes apeshit.....then Snoopy makes that sound:haha:

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, when I read Ken's question "All in the Family" is the first thought that comes to mind when this topic comes up: For all the awards and ratings that show got when it was originally on the air, it wouldn't even have made it off the drawing board in this day and age - but thats also something that can be said for a lot of shows of that era and earlier.

5. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And the plot holes!

What qualified Charlie Brown to direct a Christmas play in the first place?

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too deep!!!!!!!! lol

Actually, since you asked, what qualified him is he was a kid, doing things simply and matter-of-factly, without the angsty and cluttering trappings of how adults do everything. Same premise as the larger theme. Keep it short, simple and above all else, from the heart.

7. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heck, Hallmark and UP regularly play new Christmas movies that have heavy Christian/Christmas messages. My LDS wife watches 'em virtually every night (which means I see them by default).

Bill

8. parallax

parallax High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I watched it or half paid attention to last night we my 7 year old. I have seen CB about 40 times and was quoting the dialogue. This might be obscure but I miss it when it was on CBS. The had a really crappy "Special" graphic which they still ran until it moved over to ABC.

Although it sad to see what happened when CG got older. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnQd1BB2aWc

9. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorite part of watching any special on CBS

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7Hhx8CaaMik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.