1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Credit Card Question

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by zNaturaL, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zNaturaL

zNaturaL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I signed up for a Southwest CC last month and they were running a promotion for 2 free round trip flights if you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months of having your card. Now when I go to the site, they are promoting 1 free round trip flight when you spend $1,000 in the first 2 months of having you card. I am on pace to spend $2,000 on the card within 3 months and was wondering if anyone here knows if I'm still on track for the 2 free flights, since that was the promotion when I signed up, or if now I'm stuck with just the one?

Not sure if anyone here will know and I may have to call, but just wanted to check.

Thanks.

2. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have a WN credit card but you don't get a certificate for free flights, instead you get points that you can redeem towards flights. They will honor the promotion that you signed up for.

3. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you signed up it was for 50k points which will cover 2 roundtrip flights most of the time. If you book far enough in advance you may get more. My roundtrip flight in December was 11k points, so I could get almost 5 flights with 50k points. That said whatever you signed up at is what you will get, if your worried log in to chase and send them a secure message to confirm.

4. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you get only the promo that was offered when you sign up. When I got the card they were offering the 1 free trip..... if I waited a week to sign up I could have gotten the 2 free flights.... as usual my spur of the moment decisions cost me money ....stupid stupid stupid.... lol

5. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before you spend $2k this year, look up the companion pass. It sounds like you got the 50K point offer and if you get one for a business (which could be you selling things on eBay, craigslist, etc) you can get buy 1 get 1 free flights for every ticket you buy, even if you use points to buy it. But you must accumulate 110,000 points in 1 CALENDAR Year.

My lady signed up in November, we will pass the spending limits in Jan to get 100K points and then rack up the other 10K points with regular spending within a few months.

Just google Companion Pass.

6. Cheap G

Cheap G Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If earned my companion pass earlier this year. Got the sw personal visa plus and sw personal visa premier. Each card gave me a bonus of 50k miles after spending 2k in 3 months. It is easy to get the other 6k, try southwest shopping and dining, they'll rack up quickly.

7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will get what you were offered. They normally offer the 25K in free pts, but a few times a year up it to 50K for a short time. Used to be you didn't have to charge 2000 bucks.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As others have said -

1 - Your offer was NOT for two free flights, but was most probably for 50,000 points. Please clarify the offer.

2 - They do NOT change offers after you have signed up. You get the one you signed up for. Not a better one. Not a worse one.
    It is not unusual that they run multiple and different offers at the very same time.

Link to current promo for 25000 points TOWARDS one free trip.

9. zNaturaL

zNaturaL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah its for 50k points, I just said 2 free round trip flights because that's usually what 50k points comes out to be from what I understand. If I can get more than 2, that's great, if not, no big deal.

Thanks everyone!

10. TrixieM

TrixieM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we signed up for a SW card several years ago for the flight rewards and get enough rewards for two RT flights. We charge everything we can--EVERYTHING including kids college tuition and books--and are very careful to pay it off at the end of the month so we don't have interest charges. So it's not hard for us to reach the amount necessary to qualify for enough rewards points. I had the cat and dog both at the vet a couple of weeks ago and kept telling myself to think of it as miles, not money. You do get one big picture of just how much you really spend on what every month. Yikes!

Oh...they send tickets for free in-flight drinks (the adult refreshing kind) too. Last time I actually paid for wine on a flight, it was about $10 per drink, so free drinks is another perk for card holders.

11. neminem

neminem Low-Roller

Southwest is by far my favorite airline, so I know all about this. Southwest actually used to have a frequent flier system where every so many flights, you just got one free roundtrip flight to anywhere, which was sort of cool, but also totally gameable - you could fly a dozen times back and forth between norcal and socal (~60-70 bucks each way) and then use the free flight to fly to NYC (a few hundred dollars each way). So they canceled that and replaced it with a more traditional system about 6 years ago, but they still talk like that in their promotions. Because point costs are now based on when and where you're flying the same as regular cash-payment flights, 50k points might well be 2 roundtrips on average, but you could fly roundtrip LAX to Vegas like half a dozen times on that many points.

And yeah, the companion pass is amazing. I'm waiting to see whether they'll approve my second card request, so I can get a companion pass for two years starting next year if they do. (They approved one of them, the other got held up for something, still not sure what exactly, so now they're "verifying". Signs lean towards possibly I typed in my social wrong on the application, dang it. >.>) I submitted the application when they were 50k, so hopefully it will still be 50k... (you generally always get the bonus from when you applied, I'm just worried whether it's actually when you applied, or when you were accepted, which is normally the same thing.)

I'm so hoping we get it - we've mapped out all kinds of places Southwest flies that we'd love to spend a few days :). Especially now that they fly internationally! (Not that much yet, but still a little bit is better than not at all.)

12. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Don't wait for a letter call chase reconsideration 888-245-0625 (personal credit analyst, 7am-10pm EST M-F; 8am-10pm EST Sat. and 9am-9pm Sun.)

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wine, beer and liquor on all domestic Southwest flights are $5.

14. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do they switch back and forth between 50,000 and 25,000 bonus miles often?

Or are they tightening the purse strings now and 25,000 will be the new norm?

15. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The go back and forth all the time.

But the 50k miles arent dead, just have to know where to look for them.

https://creditcards.chase.com/6000329

16. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to know. I've considered getting the credit card before - you're basically paying $99 for two flights.

But if it's only for 25,000 it doesn't seem like it'd be worth it to me.

17. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Got the 50,000 point deal and was curious - as I understand it, points ar good for up to two years and every two years after, provided some sort of credit card transaction in made.
    Is this correct? I'm still used to flt credit expiring a year from when it's booked with $$$. However, if I cancel a flt that is booked with points, are those points good for another two years?

18. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you don't have any activity to your account in 2 years you lose points, but you can just make a purchase via the rapid rewards portal and sites like Amazon and earn points. So no real concern about losing points. Plus if you have the card when you spend on it you earn points thus reseting your 2 years each month you earn points.

19. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buy a coffee with the credit card and points reset the clock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.