1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Can anyone recommend a GREAT authentic Mexican restaurant?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by PokrPlyr, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PokrPlyr

PokrPlyr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey all,

I'll be in Vegas in just over 2 weeks, and am looking for a great, authentic Mexican meal. Doesn't matter if it's upscale or on the strip or whatever, I'm happy to drive. The main thing is that it's good, hearty grub. Extra points if they make their own tortillas!

Thanks!! :)

2. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tacos El Gordo - on the East side of The Strip across from the Echelon/Resorts World site. It's the real deal, they've even got tripe and tongue tacos.

Bill

3. billduhcat

billduhcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure exactly how authentic it is, but we've always really enjoyed Border Grill. 2 locations, Mandalay Bay or Forum Shops (Caesars).

Perhaps more authentic but 100x less fancy would be Tacos el Gordo, just north of Encore. Just a taco place, but solid food.

4. tmaas21

tmaas21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gonzalez y Gonzalez is solid inside NYNY. Never had a bad meal there.

5. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

But, do any of these places qualify as a great, authentic restaurant?

6. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm just waiting for someone from Los Angeles to see this thread. LA folks are even worse about Mexican food than we New Yorkers are about pizza and bagels.

7. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm originally from San Antonio so I am a big Mexican food snob --- I have yet to eat at a "Mexican" food restaurant in Las Vegas. We may be trying El Segundo next week -- my hopes are not high to compare to San Antonio Mexican restaurants. I just want a good Margarita and chips & Salsa.

8. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    El Segundo is decent but if you are a big food snob i would do Javiers or Border Grill. I have never been to San Antonio but having lived in socal for over a year i can say they are the only two mexican restaurants in Vegas out of the ones i tried that are truly great. If you are in Vegas over the weekend i would make it a priority to hit up Border Grill for brunch.

9. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am no expert, but if you are seeking a small, hole-in-the-wall type of Mexican (not Tex-Mex or New Mexican Mex) restaurant than you may want to consider Los Antojos and Los Molcajetes, each offering a discount through Restaurant.com. Tacos el Gordo and Tacos y Tacos serve excellent street tacos including al pastor on a spit. For authentic Mexican food from Puebla, give Las Cazuelas in Henderson a try.

10. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just like good food.

11. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  12. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot that I did eat at Border Grill once a few years back- I was not impressed - The presentation was great it looked very pretty, but it was "pretty" bland. I felt like it was "designer" Mexican Food. Probably why I originally said I had yet to try a Mexican Food Restaurant. I am not a total food snob, but growing up in San Antonio it is hard to find Mexican food that compares. Puffy tacos -- are my favorite. At Border Grill the waitress brought out some "hot sauce" and warned us how hot one of three were. My husband and I just laughed - literally we could have drank it like a shooter. When she came back around she was impressed that the "hottest" of the hot sauce was completely gone.

13. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have read good reviews as well. There is a happy hour that runs 3-6PM daily with $1 street tacos and 1/2 off bottled domestics and wells.

14. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not being a Mexican foodie, authentic would mean nothing to me but, was thinking about trying Chayo one night at the Linq but, was shot down by the gang. Anyone on the board try it?

15. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice!

I'm looking forward to trying the Veg tacos. They come in a "toasted cheese tortilla" and that sounds wonderful!

16. kingfisher

kingfisher Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try the Michoacan restaurants. The family has operated very successfully in LV for many years. I think they are now up to at least three locations. Bonito Michoacan is on Decatur, closest to the strip. Authentic Mexican specialties like birria - goat stew.

http://www.bonitomichoacanlasvegas.com/

17. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This place can't be that good... they have too much on their menu. Not only that, I doubt they're authentic... no mole. On top of that, Mexican Pizza, Nachos, and Chimicangas means it's more likely Tex-Mex. While I'm partial to Tex-Mex, I doubt I would even eat at this place.

I've eaten at Border Grill and Javier's. I give Javier's the nod for the most authentic Mexican food. I won't go off the strip, so there may be something else local that I'm not sure about.

It's been a long time since I've eaten at Border Grill... I just don't remember it being that good. After reviewing the Border Grill menu again just now I think I'll give them one more chance.

FYI, probably the best margarita I've had in Vegas is at China Poblano at the Cosmo. The salt air margarita is really unbelievable.

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always wondered what "authentic" Mexican food looked like? Based on history alone, with continuity, I'd guess one would be hard pressed to say anything is more authentic than what comes out of Santa Fe, but that's not even in Mexico. ;)

And I've had grub across Mexico that most certainly would be considered by some to be snob food, though it is hard to beat street food, as well.

Remembering that "Mexican" food is the amalgam of native American, African, Spanish, French and Filipino/SE Asian techniques and ingredients, and the Hispanic frontier pushed from Tierra del Fuego to the bulk of what is today the US of A, seems like the ultimate tasty melting pot.

For the OP, are there specific things for which you are looking? Someone might want to send you after pipian or cochinita pibil, but that does you no good if you are seeking border fare of chile colorado and dried-beef tacos.

19. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they use sour cream, they are not authentic imo.

20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of people feel that way, shok, so you are not remotely alone. Yet crema is authentic and prevalent south o'.

(Note: Crema is not sour cream, exactly.)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.