1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Am I being overcomped?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by catatonic1242, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catatonic1242

catatonic1242 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bear with me, please - this question may be a little convoluted.

I'm a platinum MLife player. I have a linked account with my wife. We go to Vegas 4-5 times a year (and have visited Tunica and Detroit a few times this year as well). We have a host at the MGM Grand, so we almost always stay there, though I've stayed at Aria and Vdara a couple of times (I like Aria better than the MGM, but since we have our host at the MGM, that's where we've been staying for the last two years). When we go to Vegas, we tend to play at a few MLife properties - MGM Grand, Aria, Bellagio and Monte Carlo. We both play slots exclusively. We always get our room comped and some upfront resort credit and we've never had a problem getting all of our food comped off the bill on the backend.

We are taking a trip to Vegas this coming weekend and bringing my mother, who will be in her own room (thank god). We are going for two nights (Saturday and Sunday). I reached out to my host at the MGM - she's on vacation, so I got a response from someone else offering me one free room plus $100 total in resort credit and $50 in freeplay, but I'd have to pay $500 for my mother's room. That felt a little steep, so I reached out to hosts at Bellagio, Monte Carlo and Aria. The Monte Carlo host offered us the two rooms comped, one as a suite, and $200 in freeplay (no upfront resort credit). The Bellagio host offered us one room comped and one night in the other room comped, $150 in upfront resort credit, $100 freeplay (we'd have to pay $200 for the second night in the second room). The Aria host looked at our offers and said, "It's strange that we only show discounted rates available to you," and then offered us both rooms for free plus $150/day in resort credit and "some freeplay."

Obviously, we're taking the Aria comp, since the second room is free and the resort credit is double what any other property offered. My question is, are we being overcomped at Aria? We plan to take $2500 total for the two day trip and play only slots (my mother will probably bring $500 and will play on my card). This is just a little bit more than our usual bankroll - it's usually $800-$1000/day - but we usually bring a little more per day for a shorter trip. I don't want to burn any bridges at Aria since, as I said, I like it better than the MGM Grand and long-term I'd like to switch. Will our combined play over those two days satisfy our host?

As a side note, since we're new to this host and since I'd like to switch to Aria, what would be an appropriate gift for him? We usually send our host at MGM an Edible Arrangement after our stay (she's said she loves them), but I'm not sure what to get this new host - I'm thinking a $100 AmEx gift card. Does that feel appropriate? (I know that some folks don't agree with gifting hosts, but I'm comfortable with it and would like to do so since he's going out of his way with the second room.)

As a side note, I understand that the Aria host is making us this offer based on historical play and isn't extending himself any further than he's comfortable with, but at the end of the day I want this to be a long-term business relationship, so I want to make sure that I'm meeting his expectations during this first stay. Any advice is appreciated!

2. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMO you are being comped pretty fairly

I play at about half your level and at MGM I get 3 nights comped (no resort fee), $200 Resort Credit, $100 FP, and free show tickets...

Aria is much nicer than MGM so for double the action I think your offer is pretty solid

Cant comment on the gift for the host as I have zero experience with a host

3. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the $100 Amex gift card is appropriate. I 100% agree with tipping my host. I tip the limo driver $20-30 and my host does a lot more for me than the driver.

It's difficult to comment on the value of the comp. Bank roll is not an accurate indicator for the theo you generate. Having said that, the Aria host made the offer based on your historical play, so if you play as you would on previous trips......it shouldn't be an over comp.

4. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is tipping a host necessary? I limo driver is different - they aren't well paid and depend on tips. I would assume a host does ok and doesn't expect tips.

5. catatonic1242

catatonic1242 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't look at it as tipping my host - I look at it as a "thank you" gift, similar to how I would bring a bottle of wine if I'm invited to dinner at a friend's house. I know it's not expected or mandatory, and I may not do it every time, but when a host goes above and beyond, I like to acknowledge that.

That said, I obviously tip the limo driver as well.

6. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand. What do you mean by "going above and beyond"? My experience is that they do their job. Do you ever get any extra service?

7. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Again....I agree with you. I also think that the compensation of hosts vary greatly. There are unionized servers making more than some hosts.

My current host is very good. I've had other hosts over the years and never even met any of them in person, prior to my current host.
    My host is accessible and responsive. I will see him multiple times over a trip. We will usually have lunch or dinner together. If any problems pop up....he will fight my battles.

8. catatonic1242

catatonic1242 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had gifts and welcome packages sent to my room by my host before, been surprised on arrival by suites when I was expecting a regular room, had fantastic seats comped at shows and concerts and had transportation from the airport when I wasn't expecting it. Those things don't happen every time, but when they do, I like to say "thank you" somehow.

In this instance, I'd like to thank the host for the second room, especially at a property like Aria (if I'd accepted the offer with the second comped room at MC, I don't think I'd feel as compelled, simply because the two properties are very different tiers).

9. jackincols

jackincols Guest

To the question of, "Am I being overcomped?" IMO, there's no such thing. I've said it many times.....if Vegas (or any other gaming venue) is giving it away, take it because you're still gonna end up paying for it sooner or later.

10. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would agree. I'm assuming of course that you're going to play until you go home or run out of money, and you're playing slots at a level that would typically correlate with that bankroll.

11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like your style Catatonic... the way you view the relationship makes you a VERY valued customer to the property and the host!

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The original post is long and mostly without bearing on the issue(s).

Go with the offer you feel best with. Giving money to somebody whose primary job is to suck the living shit out of your bank account is difficult for me to comprehend.

But, then again, I am not the smartest in the world.

13. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It only makes sense if you can stick to the gambling budget and not go over. Sometimes a good relationship can get that extra comp or maintain a comp level above the theo generated.

Fk

14. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also heard host cannot accept tips ($) but can gifts or say a sports bet made for them.

15. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is impossible for anyone to determine if you are being over comped or not just give a "bankroll" for a weekend. Your COMPS are based on the theo you generate. Let's say you have extremely bad luck (I hope you don't) and play $25 spin on a machine that has an expected return of 80% and you go through the entire weekend w/o winning your bet back. Your coin in was 2500, and theoretically you should have won 80% of that back (2000), thus having a theo of 500 for the weekend. If MGM comps 30% of theo, then u r entitled to a whopping $150 in comps. At least I think that's how it works.

16. sfchris

sfchris Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to admit that I am surprised that $2500 split between two people for a 2 day trip would rate you for a host anywhere, let alone Aria.

I'm a Craps and VP player with a "tiny" bankroll of $1500 for myself per trip, and the best I do are discounted rooms at Mirage and MGM!

17. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to remember the OP is a slot player. Because the HA is so much higher on slots the theo is also much higher. If we assume the OP is playing slots with a HA of 8% compared to your 1.0% or so (these are just ballpark numbers obviously), $2500 in slots would be ballpark equivalent of having a $20k bankroll for table games over two days, in terms of theo.

It seems odd at first but if you think about it, you'll see how/why slot players are comped so much better than the table players. Hell the 1.50 penny slot player will generate a theo of around $45/hour. A $75/hand BJ player will generate around the same. But on the surface most people would think of the $75 BJ player as a much higher roller than the little old lady banging on the quick hits machine. The reality is, in terms of comps, they're about the same. At the end of the day, a slot player is going to leave a good portion of his/her bankroll in Vegas on the majority of their trips. Most table games players will have more modest wins/losses, and they'll have much more frequent winning trips than a slot player.

18. sfchris

sfchris Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks very much for the interesting reply! :) It's too bad I have no interest in slots because many times I too leave my bankroll behind in vegas somehow - craps is so volatile. It would be nice to get freeplay and Aria rooms out of it! Ah well. We play what we like and if the comps come they come.

As a low roller, I also suspect sometimes my play at the craps table is too low to even be counted. But I never know when that is because some bosses are more generous than others.

19. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    don't worry about it.

have fun!

20. Smallz23

Smallz23 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me either, I just got a host for the first time. I am a platinum member and I have no idea whether I am being under comped or over comped. I reached out to two hosts.. One at MB (in person) .. One at aria (email) .. MB host was super friendly in person but when I tried to reach out he never responded. Aria host emailed me back within the same day (I have yet to meet her) and comped this weekend + lakers tix (I asked for discount on the tix since I didn't know how much I could ask for.. She comped the tickets).. My last trip I lost about $3k in slot play and this trip currently about $1k .. I know nothing about theo etc. My bankroll is tyipically anywhere from 2k-4k for the weekend. Would it be too much to ask for rfb?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.