1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A question for those who know Coachella Valley golf

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey guys and gals ...

I'm writing one of those evergreen articles that pop up, well, all the time since they are evergreen. I'm putting together a composite golf course using the best/fave/weirdest/coolest/quirkiest/whatever holes from publicly accessible courses in the low desert. I've done this quite a few times and I always like to seek out new opinions since it is way too easy for this to get, well, evergreen.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, this is a fun question. I'll throw out a couple after my lunch meeting.

3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking forward to it, M.

OK, I've decided to make it a bit more challenging and am now picking holes ordinally. I know, really works the old memory circuits and makes it far more of a pain, but it's fun.

So far I have:

3, Shadow Ridge (par 4)
    6, Stadium (par 3 ... no I am NOT doing Alcatraz!)
    9, Desert Willow Firecliff (par 4)
    15, LQ Mountain (par 5 ... and close to the best hole in the desert)
    17, IWGR Players (par 3)
    18, Nick Tourney PGA West (4)

Those are stellar closers on both sides, stout. And a key is going to be really nailing the opener.

You know, sometimes I really like my job.

4. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You got a couple of mine.
    I'll elaborate on LQ 15. I love the #14-15 combo as one (finally) gets to the "Mountain" part of the course. 15 is so nice with that amphitheater green.
    DW Firecliff 18
    For sure #6 at Stadium, that was on my list. Huge green and I need every foot of it with that long over water carry. I commonly hook it into the bailout left. Just like Cypress #16.
    Stadium #9 is a good golf hole. Typical PD dog leg with water and long fairway bunker. When I first played Paiute Snow I had just come from PGA West. Thought I was still there on SM 9 and 18.
    Indian Wells Player 3? or is it 11? Short par 4 that can make or wreck your card.
    Nicklaus Tournament 15? The par 5 with the island green. Kind of gimicky for Jack but one really needs to be close enough to hit wedge in.
    Nicklaus 18. Bears Best 18 really is an exact duplicate.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are on many of the same pages.

Mountain is so boring playing across that bajada, but the flirt holes on the front and 14-16 particularly save that baby.

At Players 3 and 11 both are short. Not much to 3 so 11 with the water I'd guess is the one about which you are thinking.

15 Nick is so reminiscent of 15 at TPC Scottsdale. I'd actually kinda forgotten about it until you brought it up. Guess I have a real love/HATE relationship with that course, or it does with me. On some of those cape or cape-like holes (18) you really can see Dye's (9 and 18 on Stadium) influences on Jack, particularly 20 or so years ago. Wasn't Harbour Town Jack's first real work, though Dye gets the credit?

I"ve added a few more to the ordinal approach: #4 SilverRock, #8 Desert Dunes and #14 Celebrity. For Classic Club I'm debating between 7, 11 and 13.

Thanks for you input. Let her rip if anything else pops up.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.