1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Inline World Cup (Roller Speed Skating) Feb 15-22

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by matguy, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but inline speed skating is a popular sport around the world. Started with the popularity of Roller Blading in the 90's and became the standard for speed skating on roads or indoor tracks (took over from the older Quad roller skates in the early 90's.) Roller speed skating works a lot like ice speed skating except, ya know, wheels on road or wood rather than blades on ice. In indoor the distances and race types are similar to the short track ice speed skating you might see on the Olympics, but outdoor is a bit different (there's not as much outdoor ice speed skating.) In outdoor we do short sprint-style races as well as medium distances and marathons. Marathons are a lot like running marathons except faster and, again, wheels.

This event has divisions for all kinds of participation levels. Even if you've never competed, but you know how to skate and have some skates you'll have no problem coming out and skating in the recreational skate events. There's also kids only skate events with age groups.

There's also a pretty good sized group of older skaters that maybe skated quite a few years ago and are just getting back in to it for fun (that's me.)

Also fun for spectators. There will be vendors of both skate equipment and festival style food at the outdoor events, so it'll be fun for anyone that enjoys sportsmanship.

February 15th - 22nd

Feb 15 - Indoor Practice at Crystal Palace on Rancho

Feb 16 - 18 - Indoor racing at Crystal Palace on Rancho

Feb 19 - Chad Hedrick's Racing Academy, Coaches' Seminars and Official's Seminars

Feb 20 - 22 - Outdoor races, marathon, recreational skate, and Kid's fun roll at the Rio

There are currently teams from all across the world signed up and coming out (including Columbia, Australia, and multiple European countries.) It's looking to be a great event with some great racing.

http://www.lasvegasinlinecup.com/

https://www.facebook.com/lasvegasinlinecup

2. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought roller blading just up and dissappeared 15 years ago. I put a lot of miles on my blades back in the day playing roller/street hockey.

3. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will 100% make this event.
    I remember going twice a year to crystal palace (High Roller Challenge, then SouthWest Pacific Regionals)
    I did this at a pro level for a few years in my teens/late teens.
    LOL, my wife can't believe my body ever looked like that, hahaha
    thanks for posting up the link

EDIT: in my day, the noisemakers up there in WA were Jeremy Anderson and Miguel Jose, and Jaime Kennedy wasn't too bad for a girl ;)

4. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should tell the 1341 people that skated the NorthShore Inline Marathon in Duluth Iowa this last weekend that. ;)

Seriously, though, as a sport it's seen its peaks here and there and we're kind of coming off a recent peak, but there are quite a few good marathons through the summer and some in the non-summer months. From September through May is the "normal" indoor season with Regionals at the end of May and Nationals in July.

Popularity often seems to peak around Winter Olympics time when there's invariably a roller speed skater that's gone to the Winter Olympics for ice. We also now have a professional league, the NSC: http://pronsc.com/

It's bigger than most people realize.

5. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right on. I knew Miguel and Jamie. Miguel is running the NSC now. Jeremy is still racing, though. Him and K. C. Boutiette are kind of tearing up the Master's and Grand Master's divisions these days. K.C. set a few records in his division at Nationals this year.

6. TIMSPEED

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good God that brings back memories... LOL, I can't believe KC and Jeremy are still skating..fuck man, even I would be in Classic Men (Is Senior Men still 18-26?)
    When the wife and I were in Vegas last time, I took her out to Rancho and showed her Crystal Palace (I remember when there was a bunch in Vegas; Rancho, Decautor, Boulder)

7. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, scary, huh? Senior Men and Women are 18 and older. Classic starts at 25 and older. Then Grand Classic at 30+

8. TIMSPEED

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wait till you get to Veterans! Lol

9. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Update:

[​IMG]

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.