1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Urban Legend? Red Vehicles And traffic Tickets ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Sep 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Two years ago -
    I was thinking about buying a red car.
    A woman at work ( who's uncle is a police chief )
    told me "My uncle says - 'A red car ?....oh-oh....my guys will
    be all over that with tickets."
    I laughed.
    As I was buying the vehicle i mentioned the red color + traffic tickets theory -
    to the salesman.
    He said, "That has more to do with the personality of the drivers who choose
    a red color."
    I had a red toyota truck for many years + don't remember recieving many tickets.
    WELL..........
    I'm gettin' SLAMMED with tickets !!!!!
    HOLY CRAP !
    Am I an outlaw or something ?
    Just got another TWO tickets - on Labor Day at 5 am.
    Personally, I think the cop was looking for a DWI stop.
    * who's driving on a holiday morning at 5 am ( in the dark ) unless
    you're just coming home from a late party ?......in a RED car.)
    failure to stop at stop sign
    No blinker
    I stopped.....two cars in front of me.
    yes...no blinker.....because there was NOBODY on the road ! NOT A SOUL ! NOWHERE !
    Nobody behind me....nobody left....nobody right.....a clear 100 yds in every direction.
    except the cop hiding in a parking lot.
    Anybody have experience with the "Red Car - Urban Legend " ?
    ( I keep thinking about what that police chief said.)

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had both my speeding tickets in brown cars. I've owned 2 red cars and driven 2 other red cars regularly...no such tickets. I now own one blue and one grey car...no such tickets. No accidents either. And I drive like a crazed lunatic.

4. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I currently drive a red BMW, and not only have I not gotten a ticket, I've never even been pulled over. All prior times getting a ticket or being pulled over were in either a white car (Mustang Cobra) or a gold car (72 Cutlass). I'm shocked I haven't been pulled over in the red one, because I drive fairly aggressively, though I don't speed like a maniac. It's all anecdotal

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I finally had to get a new car this year, but I drove my RED Accord for 240,000+ miles and never got a ticket

6. Mark1450

Mark1450 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My son had a red S2000 for 10 months got 3 tickets. Sold at and bought a Tan WRX 3 years ago and has only gotten 1 ticket in that time (The subaru is faster than the S2000)

7. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a red Grand Am GT and not one ticket. My son, however, has gotten 3 tickets for speeding in it. I really think it depends on your driving habits.

Not to hijack the thread but there is a theory that there are more tickets given out near the end of the month as compared to the beginning; what do you think?

8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never owned a red car but I have gotten one ticket in my entire life. Does that prove or disprove the theory?

9. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mazda CX5 - Red. No tickets.

Speaking of tickets. So this guy I know buys a brand new red sports car. He's doing like 100 MPH on the freeway - toupee flopping in the wind. All of a sudden he sees flashing lights behind him. The state trooper who pulls him over says "Look, it's been a long day - if you can give me a reason for speeding that I haven't heard before, I'll let you off." The guy thinks for a second and says "My wife left me for a cop. I thought it was him trying to give her back".

"Off you go!" says the trooper.

Just a little humor for your Friday morning :).

10. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, those 2 brown cars were the oldest cars I ever owned. The one was 10 years old when I got the ticket and the other one was 16. They one was pretty slow and crappy, the other one was not as slow but also crappy. Although it was rear wheel and I could do some fun stuff with it. Couldn't kill either of those cars and I tried. Anyhow, my father had muscle cars that were primer spotted but dangerous....no tickets. (a succession of 1970-1972 GM A-body cars). And he had a souped up, bright red, VW Jetta Flair, that was pretty nimble and quick...no tickets.

Slotchick-I agree. Around here they hang out in the same spots on long weekends or the end of the month. Nowhere that's actually a safety hazzard either. Just easy pickens for tickets. I'm on a corner lot and the street beside me is strictly residential but it's a speedway. I'm amazed I haven't had a car come in my living room and/or anybody has been killed. I'd love to have some cops hiding out here to make it safer. But, it's not visible enough and wouldn't have enough money in it to bother. I'm not anti cop or anything. But, that stuff bothers me. Traffic tickets are supposed to be about road safety. Not about income generating so the boys (and girls) can have the latest toys down at the clubhouse...I mean police station. I had a 7 hour standoff happen 2 doors down. Some un-armed boyfriend of a former neighbour wouldn't leave or something. Un-armed. 7 hours. The tactical unit was using my garage as a base of some kind and I couldn't believe the gear they had. I can't get the city to keep the street light beside my driveway in working order. But, they had equipment that would put some of the deadliest armies in the world to shame. All for some guy that settled down when he sobered up and I probably could have gotten him out of the house by myself in my robe and slippers. Wow, I gotta lay off the iced coffees this morning. I'm cranky. I better get back to packing. I don't really like packing so I'm using any excuse to delay getting back to it. I'll shut up now.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here, driving for 45 years and one ticket. Not all the cars were red. :evillaugh

12. rvallez6

rvallez6 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hmmm believe a police chief or believe a car salesman? haha i'm kidding. I don't know if there is a correlation but it is interesting. I've only received a couple of tickets in my life, but never owned a red car either.

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Myth myth myth, disproven many times over the years.

People get tickets, not cars or colors. Doing 80 in So Cal on the 15 in a line of cars doing the same, who gets singled out -- the tailgater or the weaver, whatever color or make of the car.

Personally, I'd like to see aggressive enforcement aimed at overly slow and left-lane drivers. Actually, since driving is a privilege I'm all for making people at certain ages or at certain intervals take a driving re-test. The written test is a joke. WFC? I want to know that the person next to me knows how to slow, stop and pilot 3,500 pounds of metal.

14. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. Also red is one of the colors that's to hard to keep nice. My next will be white or silver.

15. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't see many red cars pulled over but I prefer to blend in. I drive pretty fast, about 75-80 and sometimes up to 90 when the conditions are right. Plenty of cars still pass me so I guess I'm not a maniac. My silver Toyota blends right in.

Ken is right about those left lane slow pokes. Jeez, 70 in the left lane? Get out of the way!

16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People drive slow when they are stoned.

17. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I don't think the color of the car makes a difference, the color of the people in the car however...

18. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be careful.

19. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually Ken, IMHO the writen test would weed out a lot of people if it was properly administered. The situations I've been involved with, the old farts were more scared of the written test than the driving test. I've known a few people who have gone in with their old farts under the pretense of "helping" them with the test because they don't hear as well or see as well or their English/French isn't that great. In reality, they were cheating the test. None of us did that for my father. But, I have also heard of staff taking pity on the old farts and "helping" them. And the current intervals are too far apart. An old fart can go downhill pretty quickly and hide it for a while depending on the exact method in which they are losing their marbles and the rate at which the marbles are lost.

I dare you to tell a random crowd of people you're yanking one of your parents off the road, you'll hear more people giving you earfuls of crap than you will support. And the support will be on the down low. Believe me. Too many people still feel sorry for the old farts that need to get off the road. And I'm not talking about some of the 90 plus year olds I just saw on 60 Minutes who were in better shape than I am. I'd be glad to have them driving me around. Remember how people used to feel about drunk driving? Oh, it's not that big a thing. Accidents happen. How else are we supposed to get home? Etc...etc. I predict that with the epidemic of old farts about to hit us (if the asteroid Monday doesn't kill us all) that the general feeling will change just like it did with drunk driving.

And the other thing, like Breeze mentioned. It's not just the drunks and old farts and tech users and general goofballs and morons that are dangerous. Stoners and people abusing prescription meds will pass a breathalyzer. There's no roadside test besides that choreographed song and dance number that shows incapacity. And it's not just drug abusers. So many medical conditions and meds can cause a problem behind the wheel too. No fault of their own, no malice in their heart but they shouldn't be driving. There have been chunks of time in the last few years where I wasn't driving. It was a pain in the a$$ and it didn't fit in with my personality but there it is.

I'm still over caffeinated, sleep deprived and avoiding packing.

20. Guy

Guy Captain of the Heads

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The legend about red cars this side of the pond is that the cops play 'car snooker' so will stop a red car, then something of another colour, then another red one, a coloured one, and so on finally ending by stopping the colours in order (yellow, green, brown, blue, pink (difficult) and black)

Easter 2024
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.