1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fitness Trackers - Do you use one?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Kickin, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Do you use a fitness tracker or activity monitor like Fitbit, Jawbone, Nike Fuelband, etc?

I am thinking about buying the Bodymedia Link armband. This one isn't worn on the wrist, its worn on the upper arm. I owned one of their old versions about 4-5 years ago and wore it regularly for about 2 years. I thought it was great. It really helped me raise my activity levels and get accurate data on how my workouts and activity were progressing. I lost it one day while traveling though.

Last year my girlfriend bought us both the Fitbit Force, it is like their Flex but has a digital display. She loves it but I wasn't a big fan. I thought it overestimated my step count and activity levels and didn't think it did a good job measuring calorie burn since it was only based on motion. The BodyMedia device uses multiple sensors to measure calorie burn like heat levels in the skin, etc. The Force was recalled by the company though because it apparently caused rashes for some people. I didn't have that problem but I sent it back since it wasn't going to be serviced any longer.

I was looking at the Jawbone at the Apple Store the other day. I like the design but I'm skeptical as to its accuracy. Does anyone have it? You can measure the step count accuracy pretty well on your own but does it add steps if you are just moving your arm around? Do you think the calorie expenditure is accurate? I hear conflicting things from some people I've talked to and things I've read.

What about any of the other bands? Any that you recommend? It sounds like Apple may be unveiling an iWatch soon that has activity monitoring in it. My workouts usually focus around weights, compound movements, and short bursts of things like rows or sprints. So I think calorie burn measured simply by step count or general movement of the gyroscope would miss a lot. My experience makes me bias to the BodyMedia device with its multiple sensors but I'd love to wear something on my wrist instead of my upper arm if I could be confident of its accuracy.

2. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good topic...I am curious as well.

I was thinking about a Fitbit but the Jawbone is intriguing...

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife wears a fitbit and loves it. All it knows is movement. It's a fitness toy and if it helps motivate you, that's a good thing. To accurately measure calories burned is a pretty complicated task that you won't get for $100. She's had the fitbit for a few months now and regardless of whether the count is accurate, it definitely can tell a busy walking day from a sedentary day. Ignore the scale. If your clothes are getting big on you, you're doing good.

4. Stephiede1975

Stephiede1975 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Fitbit One that I wear everyday to count my steps and stairs climbed. I've had it for a year now and love it. But for my workouts I always wear my Polar ft4 heart rate monitor. This has been the best fitness buy for me. I wear it when I do all exercises including strength training. I understand that all things are not going to be accurate all the time but I love seeing how many calories I burn doing my workouts. Using this along with an app called My Fitness Pal, has helped me lose 50lbs and kept it off for 3 years.

Spring Trip!
    Spring Trip!
  5. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations on your weight loss!

6. DK528

DK528 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have worn a fitbit one for the last 16 months and love it! I think it's pretty accurate on steps but not necessarily for miles and calories. You can measure your stride though and make modifications through the app. The most motivating part is linking to friends with fitbit and comparing how many steps you have vs. them.

7. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good topic looking into getting one myself. Do all of these devices need to be worn around the wrist? Can they be worn around the ankle? I often work in manufacturing facilities where jewelry, watches, etc are prohibited for safety reasons.

8. Stephiede1975

Stephiede1975 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you!!

Spring Trip!
    Spring Trip!
  9. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

No I do not, nor I have I ever considered one.
    However, I have noticed more and more people in my small town working with them.

10. Stephiede1975

Stephiede1975 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The fitbit one has a clip on it. I wear it on my belt loop or sometimes clip it to my sports bra when working out

Spring Trip!
    Spring Trip!
  11. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a fan of these tools because I used an old school rate rate monitor to lose 130 lbs.

Just with that primitive device i could determine almost to the second my runs when I was training for half marathons and the like. Just look at the watch and i could see my heart rate and i knew what my speed was. cool little thing but took some math.

The new ones are neat too but you have to ask yourself what you really are trying to accomplish with it.

If you want to just push yourself to do more walking then just walk more and save the money. if you honestly feel that tomorrow morning your effort today will result in you waking up heavier then today then do something different tomorrow to make sure that doesnt happen again.

Its about being honest with yourself and you dont need a doo dad to help you do that. you have to just look in the mirror and look into your own eyes, really look.

set your goals, look yourself in the eye and do what you know needs doing to hit those goals and nothing can stop you.

you cant throw money at this to make it go away.

12. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used a HR monitor too, Eddie - it was a good thing as the monitors on the ellipticals and treadmills I found to be inaccurate and I really wanted to be in the right HR zones.

Congrats on the weight loss to you and Stephie! I lost about the same as you did, Eddie...I ended up putting about 45 back on while fighting through ankle and knee surgeries but I am ready to get back at it and knock that 45 back off!

13. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://www.cnet.com/products/jawbone-up24/

I have been doing more reading on this and I think I am sold. I love how it can track everything down to your sleeping.

I currently use FitDay to track my calories and workouts but this would replace that as you can scan barcodes of items you eat.

14. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few friends are using different fitness trackers and I got curious after I got over my initial "wtf?". I looked into it and talked with my doctor and physiotherapist and they said to get something with a heart monitor. After looking around at the features and whatnot I picked the Lifetrak C300 because it has a heart rate monitor and works with Android devices. It wasn't expensive. I have compared it to my blood pressure gauge/monitor and it's quite accurate. I've had health issues and surgeries and whatnot over the last several years. Basically I use it as a tool to help me rebuild my stamina by staying in certain heart rate zones. The activity tracker surprised me because it goes beyond a pedometer. It shows you patterns of activity. If you're trying to make a comeback from health issues it's a big help. Mine was $50 on Amazon.

15. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are made to be worn on the wrist but a friend at work keeps his fitbit in his pocket and it works well.

16. BellaBlvd

BellaBlvd Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I *had* the Fitbit Force until it died. 3 months later I finally got my refund cheque from them. I used it to buy a Jawbone Up24 and I love it! The app interface is fantastic and far superior to FitBit's app. It integrates very nicely with My Fitness Pal for added food and activity tracking. You can link with friends for added support. And the app gives about 4 neat tips a day - some generic, some directly related to patterns it has found, with added incentives (ie. walk more, earlier bed time etc.). I've found it hugely motivational for me. And I'm absolutely curious to see what my step counts are like in Vegas :)

17. CCaroleann

CCaroleann Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mom, who will be 80 this year, asked for and received a Fitbit for Mothers Day. Her heart Dr. recommended it as he wants her to walk 10K steps a day. Some of her friends at the Senior center had one and she wanted one too. Peer pressure at 80. LOL She loves it.

I got one to compete with her on Facebook and most days she out-steps me. I like mine too. especially the sleep tracking.

Mom lives alone and as she is getting older I do worry. Luckily I found a 2nd use for the Fitbit quite by accident. I am able to check up on her via the Fitbit app. Since we are Fitbit friends (and I adjusted her settings) I can see how many steps she walked and what time she went to bed and what time she got up. :kiss:/

Neither of us "work-out" but I am sure just using the tracker has helped both of us "move" more and that is a good thing.

18. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree! Good for steps but the calories seem way off. But at least it keeps us motivated right?
    I wish they would redesign the charger. I'm on my second one and have to fiddle with it to charge.

19. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait for Apple's HealthKit to come out with iOS8.

20. Kickin

Kickin Flea

That's a good review of the Jawbone. I've been reading more of these comparative reviews people have written testing the various devices. Like these ones:
    http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/
    http://lifestreamblog.com/nike-fuelband-jawbone-up-fitbit-one-and-bodymedia-armband-comparison-review/

I feel as if something strange is going on over at Bodymedia though. They were purchased by Jawbone last year and now it feels like they are just trying to get rid of the current inventory of armbands without replacing them with a new version. There is some well-founded speculation that Jawbone is going to treat the Bodymedia line as devices aimed at the medical community and Jawbone as the consumer product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.