1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Main Street Station Non-Smoking Rooms

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by johnvic, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm very close to booking a stay at MSS, which will be my first. I called them to see if they can guarantee a non-smoking room. They said no, which does not make me happy.

For those who have stayed there and do not want to stay in smoking rooms what have your experiences been like? Have you ever had to stay in a smoking room because they ran out of non-smoking?

2. techie223

techie223 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've stayed there 5 or 6 times and have not had to stay in a smoking room because non-smoking rooms were not available.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The biggest factor is arrival time. You get in too late and it is possible that run out of non-smoking rooms. They have entire floors of non-smoking, but with fewer people smoking it becomes a factor. We've had it happen once and the room just wreaked of smoke. Complained and they came up with the "Febreeze" and a fan of some kind that they ran for four hours and it became tolerable.

I think most hotels use the standard line that they will try and accommodate requests, but can't guarantee it.

4. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get there early armed with a $10 bill and you will be able to ensure that the deskling gets you a non-smoking room.

5. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking at a 12:15 PM landing, but I could do a 9:00 AM landing if it would help. Plus I'd save money on the trip! Also, I'd gladly tip to get a non-smoking room.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With a 12:15 touchdown I don't think you'd have a problem at all. I was thinking problem could occur if you were getting in at 9 or 10 PM.

7. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with Joe.

You should get there early enough to be able to pick your room.

I have been staying there several times per year for maybe 15 years. I have always gotten non-smoking.

As Joe stated, the whole floor (floors) will be non-smoking.

The only time that I was disappointed in my room was when I arrived after 10 p.m. I wanted a high floor facing Plaza, but they were sold out, and I got the 8th floor facing north (freeway noise).

I have never tipped at MSS.

8. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good, because a 6:00 AM departure is tough! I'm booking it this weekend. I feel so relaxed whenever I gamble and drink at MSS. Funny thing is I was talking to a coworker who I thought would never like MSS. He said he was in Vegas for NAB and went downtown and his favorite place to play craps was MSS. He wasn't sure of the name but when we looked at pictures he was sure it was the place. He also liked the relax vibe.

9. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are correct!

I never thought about it as "relaxing", but that is exactly the way it is for me too!

Those Hawaiians just give me good vibrations. :eek:

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are light sleeper, ask for an odd numbered room with a low number, like 01 or 03 and a high floor. The freeway & train noise never bother us:drunk: but it is worse in even numbered rooms and we are always in an even numbered room for the suites.

11. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the room tip. You anticipated a future question because I have read that some rooms are quieter.

12. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had this scenario last Thursday evening. We had a flight that was about an hour late getting into Vegas and we ended up checking into MSS at ten to midnight. The front desk person was first going to give us a high even number room 1220. I asked if they had any low odd number rooms and she said yes, 1507. Great, just what we wanted until we got to the room. I failed to ask for a non smoking room and that is what it was. GROSS! We decided to deal with it until morning and it was rough. The odor kept waking us up. Went to the front desk the next morning and they were very accommodating and switched our room to 1705. Much more tolerable. Lesson here is to always ask for non smoking and avoid the 15th floor! BTW, Love MSS and Cal.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  13. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think check in is until 3 so there's no rush for arriving pre noon.

14. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Julie is correct about the checkin time being about 3 p.m.

However, I usually go to the front desk about 1 p.m. & they almost always go ahead & check me in early.

15. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, check-in official time is 3 PM, but if a room is available, they are always very good about checking in early. We have checked in as early as 10 AM.

16. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

As others have mentioned, it all depends when you arrive at the hotel. I have encountered the "no non smoking rooms available" when arriving late (also near midnight) and had to put up with a smoking room for the night although I moved rooms before lunch the next day. When you come in late there is no guarantee that a $10 a tip will get you a non smoking room, it all depends if one is available. Vic, you shouldn't have a problem getting a no smoking room if you get there by 3 pm. Sometimes they will check and you might be able to check in earlier but sometimes they might not have rooms cleaned yet (I had the no early room available once but only that one time). One recommendation is to make sure that they have your non smoking request in they system, that way they can see it in their system that you did request a non smoking room and so they would give you one if it is available . Once I requested a room facing the Plaza, initially they said none were available but when they saw that I did make the request they suddenly freed up a room for me.

Not sure how you are making your reservation but on the MSS web site it shows rooms available for booking, it separates it between smoking and n/s rooms so you can choose either.

17. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the reasons that I'm booking directly with the Boyd app is to request non-smoking room. Only Queen non-smoking rooms are available for the first night, but that is okay. Doing a Jetblue packagae is a hair cheaper but I'd rather get a better shot at non-smoking.

18. CYaInVegas

CYaInVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our room are NEVER ready early at MSS. I am gonna show a tip to try to get a room very close to the elevators.

19. bobwerner

bobwerner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I'm staying at MSS from Sept 7 - 13 and I'm arriving around 11 am, could I get a room high in the tower? Noise shouldn't bother me as I lived in Philly. I'd also like a non-smoking room. From what I see MSS is sold out on the 6th. Since checkout isn't until noon, should I just wait until then or should I try to check-in?

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can always try to see if they have a room that fits your needs. Technically, check-in time is 3 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.