1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Travel routers for hotels with ethernet only connection

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by da1chifan, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone have any personal experience with any travel routers that do NOT require any initialization settings? Just 100% plug and play?

3 of us need to connect simultaneously to 1 of our room's connections. We are all bringing tablets this time, so there is no ability to run setup software.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

P.S. We aren't doing it to "beat" the resort fee. Everyone but me is paying the resort fee. We just need to be all in the same room since we are participating in our league's Fantasy draft.

Thanks,
    Stephanie

2. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd just uplug the router you have at home and bring it with you. That way you don't need to buy another router, and your tablet is already configured to it.

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, that'd be my advice as well.

I have a DLink router at home with wireless networking, cost about $30 to buy last year, and it saves all my settings even if its been off for a week.

For my home network so my XBox and our phones can connect I have set up their network ID and password... when traveling we only need to unplug it and pack it, then when we get to destination hotel plug it in.

When you connect to the network on your tablet you will still need to go through the process of "logging in" to the hotel's network, at most places this usually just requires opening a web browser and trying any page... you then go to their "Welcome..." page, type in your room number and agree to the terms of service.

And then once that first computer/phone/tablet gets internet access they all will have it.

4. Fish Tacos

Fish Tacos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could also try tethering off of your smartphone. :beer:

5. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's your lucky day. I was cleaning my home office and came across a Netgear WGR101 Wireless Travel Router. I bought this couple of years ago when I was staying in a hotel room that didn't have wireless (just ethernet). Have no use for it any longer. Pay for the shipping and it's all yours.

Basically, there are three switch settings on the router. Setup, Single User or Multiple Users. While at home, you set the switch to Setup. Then connect the ethernet cable from the router to a computer/laptop and open your browser. A login in window will pop up. (follow the manual for login info) From there you can change the broadcast name (SSID), encryption type, and password.

Then when you get to Vegas, you just plug one end of the ethernet cable into the wall and the other into the router. Set the switch on the router to single or multiple users. Plug the power supply into the wall. You now have in-room wifi.

The whole kit fits in a 5x8" case that includes the power supply, ethernet cable and router. I don't have the owners manual, but it's available for download online.

PM me if you want it.

6. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Unfortunately no one can take their home router because we all either have spouses and/or kids at home who would murder us! LOL

I have looked into tethering with some Google searches but I gave up as it was too much phone jargon that was Greek to me! LOL

Thanks so much to Snotick for the generous offer! I won't accept it outright, but I will work something out with you! You are the best! :)

7. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even if you can't take one from home you can still just go out and buy one. Even a $10-15 router, as long as it has wireless, is going to do what you need.

Tethering is pretty simple on most newer devices.

I've tethered my phone to my laptop and its pretty much as simple as:
    1) get a USB cable
    2) plug one end in to the phone
    3) plug other end in to the laptop/tablet
    4) on phone go to SETTINGS and then WIFI
    5) you should have a tethering option listed, if its there enable it
    6) on the laptop/tablet internet should just start working, if it doesn't then you might need to go to network settings and make a new network connection for the tethering

For the tablet that has internet you would then go to its network settings and select to share its internet connection and that will give the other tablets internet through the first tablet. You might need to create a whole little mini network, but this would all be stuff you can try to do at home before you go so all the settings are there and tested out instead of trying to do this a few minutes before your draft in Vegas.

One important note of tethering: I don't know how common it is nowadays, but just a couple of years ago phone companies would charge you if you were tethering your phone's internet.

A less important note: three people using internet at once can really suck up your available bandwidth if you have a limit on it.

8. owenmc60

owenmc60 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. mckevin32

mckevin32 Low-Roller

Second on the TP-Link. Perfect for your needs, cheap, and small...

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.