Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Town Closest To Meteorite Crater, NV

Trips To Vegas

Default Town Closest To Meteorite Crater, NV

Thinking of a side trip (full day) from Las Vegas to Meteorite Crater, NV. May spend night if can find closest town to destination.....Meteorite Crater, NV. Thanks for any info.

Trips To Vegas

Below are the towns near your destination

Currant, NV - 11 miles
    Lockes, NV - 12.5 miles
    Duckwater, NV - 14.8 miles

Trips To Vegas

It would be a very full day if you opt out of staying overnight in one of the small towns nearby. The trip from the LV Strip to Meteorite is 260-300 miles one way, depending on the route chosen. One route takes you up the "extraterrestrial highway" near Area 51.

Please post a trip report if you do this day trip Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image I'd love to read about your experience. We're thinking about running the midnight marathon in Rachel, NV (on the ET highway) next summer.

Cheers!

Trips To Vegas

What is meteorite crater nevada? Sounds like something I would enjoy. I know when flying in from the east, the pilots sometimes point out a very large meteorite crater that is well south of the grand canyon. So ai assume that is in Arizona and not the same thing in this post. But I am curious

I need a Mizumi sticky rice ball! uhhhh, I didn't intend that to sound dirty ...

Trips To Vegas

A quick google resulted in this - http://www.lazygranch.com/meteorhw6.htm

There is not a lot out there. I guess the closest town of any size is Ely, NV. I have noticed the last couple times through there that more hotel chain are moving into the area so there is a selection of places to stay.

Please do post a trip report if you go. I drive by there (sort of) on my way to Vegas. Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image
    When You Can't Be There... Be Here!!!
    Sonya

Trips To Vegas

Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image Originally Posted by UKFanatic Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image
    What is meteorite crater nevada? Sounds like something I would enjoy. I know when flying in from the east, the pilots sometimes point out a very large meteorite crater that is well south of the grand canyon. So ai assume that is in Arizona and not the same thing in this post. But I am curious
    Here is some info about the one in AZ
    http://www.meteorcrater.com/

Trips To Vegas

I made the trip with my wife about 10 years ago and did it in one day. Yes, it is a bit of a haul but there is really not much to do once you arrive. Kind of felt like Clark Griswald at the Grand Canyon. Remember, speed limit is 75 and we encountered very little traffic.

Trips To Vegas

Thanks for the link. The animation was on the homepage was kinda cheesy, but fun!

I need a Mizumi sticky rice ball! uhhhh, I didn't intend that to sound dirty ...

We visited Meteor Crater in AZ and combined it with a trip to Sedona (where we stayed), Walnut Canyon (which was great), Sunset Crater and Painted Desert. I was not all that impressed with MC even though I have a strong interest in science.

Trips To Vegas

This is a different one from the one in AZ. Take a look at the link I posted, this one is much smaller. I think what makes it interesting is the controversy over whether it is a meteorite crater or not.
    When You Can't Be There... Be Here!!!
    Sonya