Thread: Senior Bus Fares

Trips To Vegas

Default Senior Bus Fares

I have moved this issue to its own post so it gets separated from the thread that seeks to find all senior deals.

This post is focused just on senior bus deals. This other thread has lots of senior deal issues.

http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=551639#post551639

I also would like to limit this discussion to senior bus fare issues only. In some of the former confusing bus fare threads, folks got rather testy when their information was questioned and some of that was because everyone was quoting a different sort of pass. There is no way to keep this simple, but we can focus on one issue.

If you have questions on passes for other than 60 plus riders, please start a separate thead.

And please don't get testy if you see different information here from different people and on different days. The RCT sees different information from different people and on different days as well. If they are confused, imagine how the drivers feel. It just is what it is. Quoting your source is helpful.
    Quoting experience before 9-11-11 may be useful but certainly is no longer definitive.

Here is what they promised and delivered on 9-11
    http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/tra...e(Nov2011).pdf

What it means is that senior ID's will no longer get you a half priced ride from the Strip vending machines or when buying one of those three passes listed.

to recap the information from the other thread:

Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image Originally Posted by harry47 Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image
    Dewey, I just read where you plan to buy a monthly senior bus ticket. As of Sept. 11, the senior bus ticket is not honored on the strip buses. I assume this is the deuce and the strip express bus. I saw this on their website. Another unwelcome change,
    Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image Originally Posted by harry47 Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image
    I did pose this question via email to the RTC.
    Will senior 30 day passes be good on all buses? I'm confused reading about restrictions regarding express buses etc.

Their reply:
    Senior passes are good on all routes excluding the Las Vegas strip effective Sept. 11, 2011.

Jesse Diaz
    In response I wrote an email to RTC.

Here is my email to RTC. They promise to reply in 7-10 days:

Please be careful to research the details of your answers. I will be sharing them with discussion boards, with the press, and with AARP.

My concern is exactly how the RTC affects senior tourists.

In particular:
    1. Which reduced fares are no longer accepted on the Deuce, SDX. The website says the 30 day pass is still all access. Information on your Facebook site recommended I buy the 5 day pass and use it with no ID requred, and anecdotal traveler data suggest that the 5 day pass is all access and recommended tourists use that pass and no ID would be required. Did that change yesterday?
    2. How does a tourist get from the airport on the WAX and then down the strip? Is s/he required to buy two passes? Will the WAX bus driver sell a 24 hour pass that is not residential only and good on the SDX as well?
    3.. Since these changes apply only to tourist travelers, what can you say about the RTC intention to create two classes of senior riders, locals and tourists? Since stimulus funds are being used to overhaul the Las Vegas bus company, how is it fair to charge out of state users twice the price of locals? How does it promote the use of the buses by tourists?
    4. What route would you suggest for the tourist who will now ride the buses from downtown, but want to ride on a residential pass? What would be the safest bus stops at 1 am in the morning?

Any other light you might throw on this issue would certainly be helpful as I inform my readers and others of these new changes and their affect on tourist seniors.

Thanks

Next I made a phone call. I waited seven minutes to be answered, another seven for the first break to go check, another five for the second break to go check. Fay wanted to be accurate. I tried to convince her to take my email and give it to someone who would use is as a vehicle for getting the word out and so save them phone calls. She saw the logic, but did not take my email.
    She told me to send an email directly to the RTC, and I told her I had done that and would want to compare answers.
    She totally understood the confusion. This morning she had just received a new directive and that was full of, in her words, "contradiction." I could not have asked for a better clerk, but I want to emphasize that confusion is the name of the game there, and it will get even worse after September 18 when the routes change.

Here is what she told me:

Reduced fares must be purchased at the BTC. Not at Walgreen's.
    PS two days later :Walgreen's tells me differently.l 5 and 30 day passes can be bought at reduced fare just by showing the reduced fare ID.

5 day passes and 30 day passes require only the senior ID to access Deuce and SDX type buses. I asked her this three times, and finally she actually read what she was interpreting and there was no mention of local ID for using those two passes.

Keep in mind that the difference in price is huge. A one day senior Deuce/SDX pass is now $7.50 for seniors while a 5 day all access pass is $10. A 30 day pass is $30. And I know that the website does not say that the 5 day is all access, but there have been plenty of announcements of this and my own Facebook answer confirmed it was all access.

I have put another comment on some sort of related post on Facebook. We can't write on the wall. Only they start discussion. But there are plenty of bus posts where questions can be put in the comment.

My latest post:
    September 9 at 7:35pm
    Dewey Hill - Tourists must depend on information on sites like this. Can we revisit how the changes in senior rates on Deuce/SDX affects touists who purchase all access 5 day or 30 day passes? The information is confusing and contradictory. Has Sept 11 changed the all access 5 day pass or the all access 30 day pass for the tourist riding Deuce or SDX?

Here is what was printed here in July: "Dewey. If you are not a local and are staying in Vegas for more than 24 hours, we advise you to purchase a 5-day pass in order to have access to the entire transit system, including the SDX and Deuce (no up charges and you do not need a local Nevada ID). The 24-hour residential pass is valid on the SDX and Deuce only when passengers present a local ID. Please be advised that Walgreens only sells the 30-day and 5-day passes. Thank you." Is that still good advice for now? for November?
    16 hours ago Like

No response as yet to that either.
    They welcomed my first post.
    They have not liked me as much since answering that one.

So, there is all I know.
    You could help:

Write an email requesting the same information. Post what you get in reply here and we can compare.

Post a comment on Facebook and ask these sorts of questions, so that it makes them understand that tourists are here using the bus, not just bikers. Or just hit "like" on my comments to let them know how many folks care about these issues.

Call the RTC. Tell them you write for Vegas Discussion Boards and want clear and correct information because a hundred people will read it. Ask the same questions I asked, and others. Share all that here along with the person you talked to, the time and date of the conversation.

In your next Vegas trip collect information from BTC clerks at the counter and tell us what they said. Include the date they said it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    And also think and suggest bus riding strategies.
    Here are two observations:

I have yet to hear of any senior tourist being asked to show more than the senior ID. No one so far has needed to prove residency. I have yet to hear of any senior tourist being asked to leave a bus because they were riding with a residential pass but did not have a local ID. So I wonder if the local ID regulation is ever enforced, or if it is just a "glitch in the system" as one RCT phone person once told me, but a glitch they "did not advertise."

If you are leaving the airport on the WAX and you have a room somewhere around Flamingo, you can board the SDX at Tropicana if you don't have too much luggage to take up other space (I suggest the back door) So get the residential 24 hour pass when you board the SDX. If, in fact, some bus inspector enforces the technicality of your not having a local ID, s/he will either just warn you or ask you to get off at the next stop and buy a new pass. The next stop is Flamingo. Get off and go to your hotel. That ride will be $2, not $2 plus $5 =$7.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As well as just gathering information, you might feel offended that the RTC took your stimulus dollars, did a great bus system overhaul, but now has divided senior riders into two classes. Local seniors who clearly still get reduced fares even on 24 hour passes as long as they don't buy them on the strip. And the rest of us who even when we take a residential bus first (like WAX) from the airport and buy our $2-24 hour pass, are technically not allowed to board a Deuce at Tropicana because we lack a local ID.

If so, you might like to send a letter to the local paper. I intend to. And AARP might have some interest as well.

However, don't be offended with the folks on Facebook or the clerks who answer phones. They did not make these decisions. They cannot change them. The folks who give you information are getting calls all day with irritated and annoyed people. Treat them with ease and you will get what they can give, information.
    Last edited by dewey089; 09-14-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Trips To Vegas

Okay, so goes the continuing saga of the RTC contradictions.

Fay told me quite clearly that these 5 day and 30 day passes were not available in Walgreen's anymore.
    but Walgreen's at the corner of 4th and Fremont says they sell the passes.
    I just show my reduced fare ID and give them $30 for 30 days of travel.

Fay wanted to be accurate at the RTC, but she failed the test.

So when I have the energy to call the RTC and ask again, I will see how the next run of answers computes with reality. Anyone will to try a call, ask the questions, and compute the results, or has the length of this first post discouraged everyone?

Trips To Vegas

Default senior passes

I had sent a follow up email to the RTC asking them to clarify as to whether senior 30 day passes could be used on the strip express bus and the deuce. I also expressed my disappoinment at the prospect of not being able to use them on strip buses. I just had a call from someone at the RTC and they assured me that we could use our passes on the strip buses.

Trips To Vegas

I had sent a follow up email to the RTC asking them to clarify as to whether senior 30 day passes could be used on the strip express bus and the deuce. I also expressed my disappoinment at the prospect of not being able to use them on strip buses. I just had a call from someone at the RTC and they assured me that we could use our passes on the strip buses.
    Thanks for that effort, Harry. It is both personally reassuring (I go with the 30 dollar pass next month) and helps also to begin to assemble information that can eventually fall out into a meaningful, reliable pattern that everyone can trust. This time next year, unless they begin again to find ways to erode benefits to the senior tourist, this thing will hopefully be clarified by them in a consistent manner devoid of contradiction. Nice job!

Any seniors buying a 5 day pass downtown at Walgreen's lately? Remember the deal now. $10 for 5 day versus $7 for one day or $20 for 3 days. And yes, seniors buying passes on the strip will now pay double for 2 less days of unlimited all access bus travel.

Ask for the names of people you talk to at RTC, and remind them the information is going out to a couple hundred people.