Thread: capicola-where I can get my hands on some good capicola

Trips To Vegas

Default capicola-where I can get my hands on some good capicola

Hi, Everyone,

I'm from the East Coast, but work forced me to move to the Southwest about a year ago. I'm coming to Vegas in a few weeks, and I'm wondering where I can get my hands on some good capicola (not gourmet or anything).

Grocery stores are fine. Even at Wal Mart back home, there was $3-$5/lb. hot ham I'd kill to get my hands on.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Schwaiguy

Trips To Vegas

chances are good nowhere in vegas I have some family friends that my great grandfather came to the US with from italy in the early 1900s that have an italian meat market that I get sausage, capicola, prosciutto, pepperoni ect mailed to me on occasion. Not sure if they will do that for everyone but if you cant find good quality italian meats send me a PM and I can find out if they will ship to you.

Trips To Vegas

Thank you, Equalizer,

So, I guess hot and sweet sausage and pepproni rolls would be out of the question. . . Don't get me started on not being able to find decent Italian bread!

Believe it or not, in Albuquerque I've found decent sausage and gabbagul (and some not great gabbagul for $24/lb.). However, I am considering ordering from the Italian market of my youth.
    Schwaiguy
    Last edited by HoyaHeel; 05-03-2011 at 05:38 AM. Reason: No links allowed for new members

Siena Deli is the best Italian deli around. No sausage and pepperoni rolls, but good meats & imported cheeses. Yummy sicilian pizza, hot & cold sandwiches.

We did have a place with awesome sausage & pepperoni rolls but they closed about 1.5 years ago. They also had the best italian sausage around. I miss it.

Trips To Vegas

Try Cugino's deli and sandwich shoppe.

http://cuginositalian.com/

Trips To Vegas

Possibly Whole Foods? One is on Las Vegas BLVD in the Town Square Mall. Its big flagship store faces the LVB. Its all about natural native foods brought in from all over the world.

I got a spicey ham sub from Walmart deli fridge area near the deli hot foods.

Their is also Capriotti Sub places spottted around town.

Trips To Vegas

Default on the money

You guys are right on the money. These are the types of place I was looking for, but I'll probably try Wal Mart first: only because it will be half price. If it's the hot ham I'm thinking of, it will more than suffice. I don't need expensive wine-infused, hanging in a cave for years--I need a breakfast capicola & egg shot a couple of mornings a week.

Ironically enough, after I posted this Bourdain was talking about non-ironically eating old school Italian & Chinese, types of ethnic foods that never existed in the real countries. Do pepperoni rolls or hot/sweet sausage calzones exist in Italy? I really value this stuff--just I like I value my favorite General Tso's Chicken & Crab Rangoon.

Bourdain once cooked Italian food for Italians in Italy, and they laughed at him. The best part was, he showed it with translations. I spent time in the Chinese countries: a few people heard of General Tso's Chicken because they learned it in their history books, but you could barely recognize it. When I came back from the Chinese countries, I had a cappicola, provolone or mozerella & egg sandwich on hot baked Italian bread with mayo & heavily cilantroed pico de galla a few days a week for, like, a year.

Schwaiguy

Trips To Vegas

Default In Sin City

I'm here, guys. I'm sorry I made plans and would have just been better off driving around. I've tried 3 Wal Mart delis and no hot ham. Anyone know of the address of a Wal Mart that has this for sure?

Schwaiguy
    Come on--and I'll demonstrate how to use jujutsu.
    --Shogun's Ninja

Not sure of any Walmarts that carry it for certain. I've seen it at Smith's (various locations) and Glacier's 8525 West Warm Springs Rd. I still suggest Siena Deli at 9500 West Sahara Ave for good imported varieties.