Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Do they still have automatic change counters at casinos?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    61
    Trips To Vegas
    15

    Default Do they still have automatic change counters at casinos?

    We have a jar of loose change that we would like to bring to Vegas. Do they still count those for free for you, or has that gone the way of the dodo thanks to TITO?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    4,992
    Trips To Vegas
    14

    Default

    At most casinos they do. You have to go to the main cage and ask for a coin bucket.
    Play it again, Johnny Guitar

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vegas
    Posts
    1,823
    Trips To Vegas
    50

    Default

    If not, you can just go "worst case scenario" and take it to the Orleans. To the right of the cage they have one of those "COINSTAR" machines that counts all your change and then gives you a ticket to get your cash.

    The kicker is they charge like 8% for the service.

  4. #4
    SH0CK's Avatar
    SH0CK is offline Stylin' and Profilin'
    Quasi Technical Admin
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10,205
    Trips To Vegas
    31

    Default

    If I'm not mistaken, most of those coin counting machines in the casinos only do nickels, quarters, and dollar tokens... usually pre-seperated. I don't think you can dump a bunch of different coins into those machines and get it sorted and counted.
    Scott
    The question isn't "what are we going to do," the question is "what aren't we going to do?"



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,945
    Trips To Vegas
    90

    Default

    Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image Originally Posted by Pinny Long Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image
    If not, you can just go "worst case scenario" and take it to the Orleans. To the right of the cage they have one of those "COINSTAR" machines that counts all your change and then gives you a ticket to get your cash.

    The kicker is they charge like 8% for the service.
    Something got lost in translation. An 8% charge for self-service coin counting?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,293
    Trips To Vegas
    12

    Default

    Coinstar is 8-something percent off the top if you take cash.

    But you can choose to get a gift card for Amazon or other retailers for the full value of what you dump in.

  7. #7
    SH0CK's Avatar
    SH0CK is offline Stylin' and Profilin'
    Quasi Technical Admin
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10,205
    Trips To Vegas
    31

    Default

    Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image Originally Posted by Reston Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image
    Something got lost in translation. An 8% charge for self-service coin counting?
    Most grocery stores and some banks have these big green machines. It's more of a convenience fee.

    http://www.coinstar.com/
    Scott
    The question isn't "what are we going to do," the question is "what aren't we going to do?"



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vegas
    Posts
    1,823
    Trips To Vegas
    50

    Default

    Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image Originally Posted by Chuck2009x Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image
    Coinstar is 8-something percent off the top if you take cash.

    But you can choose to get a gift card for Amazon or other retailers for the full value of what you dump in.
    Thanks. I wasn't aware of the Gift Card option. I have a big basket of change in my living room and I plan to dump it all in the Orleans CoinStar, but I always forget to bring it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    4,992
    Trips To Vegas
    14

    Default

    Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image Originally Posted by SH0CK Click or hover your mouse to enlarge image
    If I'm not mistaken, most of those coin counting machines in the casinos only do nickels, quarters, and dollar tokens... usually pre-seperated. I don't think you can dump a bunch of different coins into those machines and get it sorted and counted.
    Back in September 2008 we were staying at The Excalibur and when we brought the coins to the main cage they just said to dump them all in to one bucket - pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters.
    Play it again, Johnny Guitar

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    So California
    Posts
    240
    Trips To Vegas
    50

    Default

    We do this all the time. No need to seperate dimes, nickels etc. We stay downtown and never have a problem finding a cashier cage to change in our coin. I certainly wouldn't pay the 8% fee on a coinstar chances are there's a casino within a mile that will do it for free. I drop a few bucks in the tip jar though cause we usually change in 500-600 dollars.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •