1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Zion National Park Tour

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by westie, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Visited Zion in July of '06...back then the tour was free.....do they charge for that now ?....enjoyed it better then the Grand Canyon.....but I don't know if it's anywhere worth $87 yet $174 per person......most is going to be travelling time to and from Vegas with a lot of nothing in between (around 6 hours total). It gets HOT there......114 degree on our visit.

3. Falcon_Rob

Falcon_Rob Flying Winnebago

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think $87 is a pretty good deal for something like this. You'd have to rent a car, pay gas, pay for food and pay for admittance into the park. The problem is, as you've mentioned, that HALF of that 12 hour tour time is spent on the road. With the other 6 hours spent eating and walking around the various shuttle stops, you're only going to get enough of Zion to convince you to rent a car next trip and come back for more "quality time" in the park.

The shuttle buses that take you down the canyon are still free (minus park admission) as are the shuttle buses that take you throughout Springdale.

I'm also like you....given the choice, I'd pick a visit to Zion over the Grand Canyon! I just moved back to Ohio from Vegas and being so far from the national parks (especially Zion) is something I'm already missing a lot!!

4. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If alone I agree, but with two people that is almost $175.....more if there are taxes and fees to be added ? ? ?....if you already have the car then it's a no brainer......I have a Golden Pass for the parks so it's free to enter, but I believe you pay per car not per person.......we camped at Zion....I would never drive that distance if I was paying a lot of money to be in Vegas.....but everyone is different.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Some thoughts:

Zion is awesome. I'm a big fan of Grand Canyon but there's an immediacy to Zion that just leaps out and wraps you up. But I adore all the parks, monuments and the like atop the Colorado Plateau.

I'm not a fan of captive-in-the-can guided tours. Now I realize some folks can't or won't drive, and that's fine. They need to get out/about as much as all of us. But I hate my vacation and experiences being determined by a schedule I don't control.

I'm also not a fan of the passive, drive-by park experience. Again, if it's a choice of someone otherwise never seeing a place like Zion; of course, book the bus. But even people with immobility issues can experience a park without being able to scale El Capitan. There's a wonderful commodity out there called time. Use it. Enjoy it.

Life is too short and money is too precious to venture to the American West and only see Vegas.

6. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lived in Utah for years - never visited Vegas until I moved back East:rolleyes2: Zion was the site of my first road trip in my first car. On the way back from that trip with my best friend, driving from Zion to SLC, we got caught in a blizzard and spent the night in the back of the car (we had sleeping bags as we'd been camping near Zion) at a rest stop in Beaver Utah. A moment to treasure:ssst:

I've never visited the Grand Canyon because I haven't wanted to do it as a side trip from Vegas. I suppose if I went out to do a "western US" trip and just happened to use Vegas as a convenient airport, it would be a different mindset.

Is the price of the tour fair? Sure. Is it the cheapest option? No, probably not - esp with more than one person. Is it something you want to do? Depends on your priorities.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.