1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Zarkana or Ka

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by gnd, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnd

gnd Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which one is the most enjoyable. Just sit back, relax and enjoy the show without having to think about what's going on?

2. vokalml

vokalml Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't really have to think at either unless you want to. I thought ka was super. Zarkana was good too but ka was intense.

3. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    KA does sort of have a story to follow, but it's very enjoyable. And the whole show is impressive. I would choose KA over Zarkana.

Zarkana is not Cirque's best. It got poor reviews in NY, changes were made, reviews got worse, and then they brought it to Vegas without any additional changes. The clowns weren't very funny, the actual "acts" were not memorable, and the parts in-between were confusing and somewhat tedious.

I saw Zarkana a month ago. And I can't tell you a single thing I saw that stood out (besides the senior citizens around me who were all asleep somehow even though it was a loud show). Ask me about KA and I can name off quite a few moments where I was completely immersed in the show and it left me in awe.

4. npom

npom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ka, Zarkana sucks!

5. WrongWayWade

WrongWayWade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1, Ka is terrific, especially the first time. Zarkana was weak, really weak.

6. sandman748

sandman748 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I guess I am in the minority in thinking that KA was brutal. I almost fell asleep.

While the stage and theater itself was quite impressive, not much happened.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. When I think cirque, I think acrobatics and stunts. Ka had neither of these. It was more of an over-hyped play.

7. lmondun

lmondun Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no idea whether they actually recruit performers this way, but it seems to me that most of the Cirque shows include a set or two that draws from a unique type of Olympics-caliber athletes. "O" has synchronized swimmers and divers, "Mystere" has athletic gymnasts and weightlifters, "Love" has trampoline acrobats and x-games-style skaters. In "Ka," I always think of rhythmic gymnastics!

That said, "Ka" is much better than "Zarkana."

8. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always think of it as KA having just as many acrobatics and stunts, but they're so well integrated into the show that it just flows and it's easy to forget how incredibly difficult each thing on stage is to accomplish. It does't go from act to act so the stunts are less defined.

For example, during the wall flight scene where they are on ropes, they actually each have a remote control for their line and control where they are on stage while at the same time making sure they don't get tangled up and also flexing their abs like crazy to be able to stay perpendicular to the wall. When you break down each part of the show, the actual stunt is there, but the fact that they don't stand out as a stunt shows just how well the show is done.

9. phinfan08

phinfan08 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out this video if you are interested in the type of athletes Cirque recruits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLouxprAHtQ

10. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No Sandman you aren't. I thought Ka was realy bad. Haven't seen Zarkana so I can't opine there...But Ka was just cheesy and kind of childish I thought.Sandy is right it is very much like a really super staged broadway show.

11. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The stage is really the "story" in KA and awesome when incorporated into the scene. Granted the shadow puppet scene could put a person on speed to sleep.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.