1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your Worst Job

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Camp Rusty, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was talking with a friend of mine last night and somehow we started chuckling about bad jobs we have had before on our way to an actual career. It was a no brainer for me.......fibreglas !

Graduated from college in to the recession in 1979 and ended up working in the Seattle shipyards as a laborer for the Pink Panther's insulation company. Every day was something different, but all revolved around glass insulation. One hot August day my job was to offload, by hand, a railroad car full of loose bats of insulation.

The bats were probably 36" wide and ten feet long, stacked ceiling high. Spent my day essentially just wrapping my arms around these things like a big hug and handing them down to the next guy in line to move in to the warehouse........fire bucket style. Being the new guy I was put inside the car.......I still remember the strands of fibreglas dancing around in the sun rays coming through the holes in the car like being in a giant snow globe.

I didn't think it could get any worse.........

A couple months later, it did. I reported for work to the ice breaker Polar Star, my job was to cut in a twelve inch wide path in the insulation from the engine room to the conning tower to place new wiring in for something. Seemed pretty easy, and actually it was I suppose. The part that made it so bad was the aftermath.

Normally we wore full paper suits that kept the glass off of us but this day my supervisor didn't show up with suits, and not really thinking too much about I started down below in the engine room.....easy schmeezy.

What I hadn't counted on was simple physics.

As I worked my way up from the very warm engine room to the very chilly conning tower the tiny pieces of glass were sweeping up in the rising warm air like like smoke through a chimney. Dressed in jeans an a tank top the tiny shards of glass embedded themselves anywhere there was persperation.....neck, armpits, forearms. Finished for the day and sparkling like a flocked Christmas tree all I was looking forward to was a long hot shower.

I learned later that long hot showers are not the answer to getting rid of insulation.......that simply opens up the pores giving the little missiles of glass more opportunities for penetration. I itched for a month like a baboon wirh fleas. I found a "real" job shortly thereafter, and to this day look upon fibreglas as the devils cotton candy.

Any other nightmares out there ?

2. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Repairing tracks on M60A1 tanks in the field.

Bill

3. jfn111

jfn111 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was a teenager I was working as a mechanic's assistant for a redi mix concrete company. One of my jobs was to climb inside the drum of the concrete truck and use an air hammer to chip off the dried cement. They of course didn't offer any ear protection or a respirator.:nono: Think hot and loud.

4. parallax

parallax Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked at a post-it note factory for a month in Syracuse while attending grad school. Mind numbingly boring and a couple of the people I worked with absolute psychos.

5. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Morning and evening paper route in Wisconsin during December-February. The rest of the months were fine, but those three months were absolutely brutal.

Annual Summer Bliss in the Land of Milk and Honey!!!
  6. lithium78

lithium78 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked for a summer at McDonald's and the assistant managers there were really jealous of the fact that I was going to be starting college. They would purposefully overfill containers for toppings and then dump them on the floor to force me to clean them up. When they also cut my hours to ten per week, I quit with no notice and threw my uniform at them.

7. djen

djen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The worst job I had was loading trucks for UPS through the winter. A number of things made this job terrible.

The trucks have a floor you would lift up and tuck and place packages in. The bed of the trailer there was aluminum, and in the winter was like an ice skating rink. You had to load your quota, I think that was 600 boxes an hour, zip, city and state had to be checked. Ff the packages were stuck in the chute you had to free up the jamb and packages would come down like the damn had burst.

The supervisor I had treated me like mindless pieces of crap. At least I was smart enough to leave after 5 months.

8. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Long time ago I had a temp job for a couple of months supervising customer service reps in a cable TV call center. I knew the job was gonna suck because people (justifiably) hate the cable cos. Once or twice a week I'd have to get on the phone with some ******bag who had screamed the ear off of a rep and now wanted to light into a supervisor. You wouldn't believe the shit people would say. I didn't give a fuck, so I gave it right back to them, lol.

9. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    15 1/2 year old with a work permit I found a job at a convalescent hospital serving and clearing meals in the dining room, hospital rooms and memory impaired facility. The smells, the screams, the moans still haunt me.

10. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the winner for me thus far.

Bill

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got some great work stories, because I think I've done it all. Fast food, secretarial , construction (I hear you on the fiberglass, it is of the devil for sure!), donkey basketball/softball, door to door sales, telemarketing, all kinds of office jobs from accounting to QA, all kinds of internet-related jobs, this crazy place, dog training/pet sitting, etc.

I think all my jobs had good parts and bad parts. I think construction was overall the worst. I am not a big fan of physical labor of any kind and construction sort of required a lot of it whether I felt like it or not.

There was one experience that still kills my soul a little bit every time I think about it. I was a young pup and this was back in those dreamy, Don Draper days. (Okay, mid-80's). I got a job where I ended up running a warehouse and plant that made gaskets for irrigation pipe. It had a steep learning curve, but I really put my mind to getting on top of it. I kept my eyes and ears open way more than my mouth and got it in the first few months. I often helped out in the plant when we had a rush order or got behind and they needed extra hands, something my predecessor thought was "beneath" him.

The job had me supervising the men in the plant, which was tough at first because I was a woman and younger than most of them. I worked hard to gain their trust and respect. I got major points for buying them their own coffee machine. :haha: After a year, I got a nice raise and a wonderful peer and client review. I was super proud of myself. 6 months later the boss suggested I could use an assistant. I didn't know if I needed someone full time, but who was I to argue with the boss, right?

I noticed the boss really wanted me to get a male assistant. Whatever. No big deal. I chose one of the ones he liked, hired him, trained him, taught him everything I had learned, and then they told me that I had just hired my replacement because my being female was "just not working out". Nothing about how I did my job, just too girly. UGH! Still makes me so angry.

Oh, and since I bought that coffee machine out of pocket, I took it with me. I'm just evil that way. :wink2:

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

My first summer job had some similarities to what Rusty encountered as we were dealing with industrial applications of insulation and various fire-proof materials. Lotsa itchy. Stuck a finger in a band saw at one point. But we were kids so mostly fukd off doing pallet-jack and fork lift races. I distinctly remember at the end of that summer buying a pair of Century 3 skis with Look bindings and Raichle boots.

Slinging beers and burgers in college I once confiscated the really bad fake ID of a QB who went on to some fame in the NFL. He was actually cool about it as a few of his accompanying linemen wanted to do me bodily harm and he interceded. A really awesome time involved a guy who was drafted by an NBA team who when back in town left the change from his bill as a tip and I handed it to him and suggested he was trending toward a short career and should hold on to it. Another highlight of that job was the nattering sorority girls who'd consume plate after plate of fries with ranch dressing for dipping but would go ape shit if you brought 'em a Bud instead of a Bud Light. lol That was a fun place to be, then the most popular hangout on campus. The environment was eminently target rich.

Skipping out on college for a while to run a ski shop was pretty cool, too.

Being an editor of a number of small-town newspapers was a hoot, as was my stint working for a politician; until he turned out to be ... a politician.

My worst job was the last, without question. By far the most money I ever made and likely to remain so. It was evil and soulless, a small closely held series of corporations. I was one of the VPs. What an energy-zapping den of moral vacuity that place was.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  13. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1986,, full service butcher counter in an independent supermarket...60ft long counter full of cheap deal meats
    everyone wanted to take me on a 20 min trip from left to right
    "hold this one up... No, the one in the back"...then they bought $3 worth of stuff usually
    or they wanted me to cut a half frozen bone-in lamb leg, into 2" cuts on what I swear was a 1000HP band saw that wanted to kill me
    while I stood ankle deep in fat and sawdust trying not to slip or fall

worst was twice a month the Social Security checks came out and retired people went to the deli counter
    and every single time!
    we had Nova Lox for $10/lb and this Glo-In-The-Dark Orange Lox for $4/lb
    same question from them each time...they'd point at the cheap stuff and ask if that was Nova Lox?
    you ever eaten Nova that color Sir/Ma'am?....ugh

yeah lets go have me hold up 6 or a dozen Whitefish too..before you just order a $3.99 cup of Lox trimmings

made me get my grades up in college though, LOL

14. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Corn detassling and loading alfalfa bails in the summer heat in Nebraska were pretty rough for little cash, a good workout though!

AM Room Service as pretty rough as well......trying to get 60 bowls of fruit loops out at exactly 6:15am isn't easy, especially wearing that monkey suit with the bow tie.

Best Job Ever---Waiter at Red Lobster......an endless supply of hostesses.....the cash was secondary....

15. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Working at a livestock commission when I was a kid. Had to walk through tons of cow and horse shit. It would get caked on my boots, and had to clean that nasty crap after each time I worked. Luckily, it was only once a week when they had their auctions.

Last Trip of 2016 - Trip moved up 3 days
  16. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

As a 15 year-old working in a rose factory. Imagine being confined in a greenhouse during the heat and humidity of the a midwestern summer, while digging flower beds up and hauling dirt in wheelbarrows along narrow raised planks.
    As an 18-year old on the graveyard clean-up crew at Del Monte, wearing boots, a yellow rain suit, while spraying and scrubbing down the equipment used in corn/pea canning.
    And, detassling corn also sucked.

17. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a dishwasher job as a 16 y.o. at a Hungry Hunter (or it couldda been a Hungry Tiger I'm not sure) restaurant in the East Bay around 1975. It was a pretty busy place and I learned pretty quickly that normally, three-(3) people did the job during peak hours, one-(1) to pre-sort and rinse the dishware, one-(1) to load the racks and put into the dishwasher and one-(1) on the back-end to take the plates, etc. out of the racks and stack them. My first shift was a Friday night and it was just me. I busted my ass trying to keep-up, but was behind the whole night with people laughing and yelling at me. I started at like 4 p.m. and was there till probably 1 a.m., no break, just hard work. I came back for my Saturday night shift and more of the same. I came back in Monday to see the new schedule and see that I'm the only dishwasher scheduled during the week and so I ask the Asst. Manager... "I'm told there used to be more dishwashers... do you need some more, cause I have friends." "Don't worry", he said, "I'll have some additional help hired this week."

Friday came and I'm still the only dishwasher. To make matters worse, the door on the pass-through dishwasher breaks, so after you load the rack, you have to lift it up and around to the back-end, stick it in and then pull it back out the same side when the cycle finishes... EACH AND EVERY TIME!!! I made it through that night as well and came back for the Saturday shift... Asst. Manager tells me he's interviewing some additional help. How hard is it to hire dishwashers? About 9 p.m... middle of the very busy Saturday night, dishwasher-door still broke, I slip on the wet floor and drop a rack of clean plates. The wait-staff thinks it's funny as hell, the Asst. Manager starts yelling at me, I take off the apron, dropped it on the floor and walked out the door. I came back in on Monday for my check and the Manager tells me he wishes I'd reconsider. I politely said the job's not for me. I HATED that place... all 2 weeks I worked there.

18. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got asked by a family friend to help him "track down leads" for his insurance business. Turns out he wanted me to just cold call doctor's offices and try to set up appointments. Annoying enough given that nobody wants to talk to you, but towards the end of my first afternoon, his boss happened by the cubicle where he'd set me up. "WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?", he bellowed. I said I'd been asked by [the family friend] to help out. "WELL FUCK THAT, GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE", he screamed.

Did not go back to that job. Don't think I've spoken to the family friend since.

19. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1979 Jack in the Box -- summer-- San Antonio Texas- I was 16 years old. The manager would put me outside on a walkie talkie to take orders through the drive through at lunch rush. Summer- south Texas, black asphalt, wearing black polyester pants and a heavy polyester orange and black uniform top. I quit after I got enough money for clothes for back to school

Oh almost forgot--after the heat fest on the asphalt I would come back in and he would put me on the fryers. Everything got put in the same fryer. Tacos, fries, onion rings, fish and the delightful fruit pies. Bet you wonder why your pies taste a little fishy.
    And for some of you--you know who you are--get your mind out of the gutter.

36th Wedding Anniversary
  20. macker69

macker69 Canadian Ambassador for Sully's Bar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny one of my first jobs out of college was a supervisor at a call center for Comcast Internet. Lasted 4 months before landing a better job and the best was at the end when you didn't have put up with people's shit for fear of losing your job

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.