1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your opinion on airfares.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by salemorevegaslover, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salemorevegaslover

salemorevegaslover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Question...........Is it only me that think the airlines are not or have not lowered airfares to Vegas?
    You would think with the lowering cost of fuel, air fares would drop but such is not the case. Fares from Pacific NW to Vegas have actually gone up, instead of down and that is pixxing me off. What's your thoughts?

2. Homeschool

Homeschool Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Until they stop filling the flights, they don't have any motivation to lower prices.

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, while fuel costs have been part of the higher prices, it is also supply and demand: before the recession there were a lot more flights in general to Las Vegas than there are now - from Vancouver, BC, as an example, there are 8-10 non-stop flights each day to Las Vegas (depending on day of the week), which might sound like a lot but back in 2006-2008 there was upwards of 20-25 non-stop flights to Las Vegas each day and certain days of the week there would be even a few more.

With lower fuel prices the airlines are expected to open up a lot more flights this year (to Las Vegas and elsewhere), but even with that the expectation is that fares will still only go down about 5-12% overall, so fares are expected to go down, but not by any huge amount.

4. bobby jones

bobby jones Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More than 25 flights per day? wow, you lower main landers like your dice! I wish Allegiant would add Vegas to their Niagara Falls airport route to get some competition going for SW

5. geoff

geoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for my trip next weekend i paid $230 roundtrip non-stop from JFK... haven't seen flights that cheap in years.

6. gilly from philly

gilly from philly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    United has had nonstops from Chicago to Vegas for $70. I have not seen them that low in a long time.

7. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Knoxville to Vegas fares have gone up about 20% since last year and don't appear to be budging.

I think airlines are running it like the gas stations do on pricing, quick to raise, slow to lower. If fuel prices stay low for the next 3-6 months, I'd expect them to adjust rates and/or add more destinations Especially after more and more of the fuel efficient jets come online.

8. Scottndindy

Scottndindy Low-Roller

Vegas from Indy is higher now than it has been in a couple years. We just picked up some direct flights from Allegiant that start in a month. I think that will have some effect on lowering rates.

9. jhair

jhair Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scott when is your trip? I usually go SWA but their pricing and their schedule sorta sucks right now. Allegiant was almost 1/2 the price. But their departure times aren't the best.

10. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

I had no idea about Allegiant. Have you flown with them? I have a Southwest credit card and I use that to cover most of my flights, but I do pay occasionally.

11. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bought SW tickets (BWI to LAS-- direct flights) and my roundtrip cost was the lowest it's been in 5 years...

Annual Golf Trip
  12. mikeinctown

mikeinctown Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think a lot of it depends on the main carrier in the terminal and what they offer. With the mergers going on, you have less competition. Plus it isn't like our economy has bounced back all that much in the last 6-8 years anyway. I know until Spirit started flying out of Cleveland, prices had gone up at least 50% from what I used to get on flights.

13. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just because the price of fuel went down doesn't mean airfare should go down as well. If this were to be the case, airlines should lower the price of international flights first since they tack "fuel surcharges" onto these tickets.

14. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Supply and demand has way more bearing on rates than the cost of fuel.

Bottom line.

15. oldcrabtom

oldcrabtom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CMH to LAS is as high as I've seen..............:evillaugh

16. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    from what i have read, the airlines buy fuel maybe two years out, so even though cost is lower today, they are still locked in on whatever they paid at the time of purchase....

17. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup booked yesterday with SWA and their $200 each way for an all time high. American dropped even lower today out of CMH. I'm about done with SWA.

18. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I'm by no means an airfare expert but most airlines hedge on fuel. Sometimes it pays off; pretty sure it isn't now for them. There's been allot of capacity removed over the last year's as well. Smaller more efficient planes been used. It's led to tighter seating, less empty seats which allows them to keep charging a premium.

19. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying out of Winnipeg (Canada) flights are as expensive as ever.

There is the Aliegant out of Grand Forks (North Dakota) option but based on days chooses those can also be over $400 round trip (before luggage add on and seat selection).

Some of the fares you guys talk about are SUPER LOW!

I'd love to see some of that.

20. Scottndindy

Scottndindy Low-Roller

My schedule is very volatile and things pop up at the last minute a lot. Because of this I generally book day of or night before. If I have free time and there is a good fare I will take advantage of it. Southwest has some good rates and have direct flights if I purchase early(at least 7 days out) but the best rates I have been getting lately are from US Airways. I have been able to book day of or day before for 140-180 each way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.