1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your feeling on bartenders that dont give change back?

Discussion in 'Vegas Nightlife' started by user3657, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3657

user3657 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is your feeling when a bartender does not give you your 1 or 2$ change back and puts it straight in the tip cup?

It normally never bothered me until this trip when I gave the bar tender an extra 5$ and asked if I could get 5$ in 1$'s. I had a coupon for b1g1 so I gave a 20$ and a 5$. I just arrived in vegas so all I had was large bills from the ATM and any change I gotten that day.

I was given 5$ in 1's and thats it. I looked at the receipt and noticed I was owed 5$ in change. I started to walk away but thought that was a huge tip for someone who just took it and wasnt given it. I tried to get her attention but wasnt having any luck. I tried to be patient but it was as if she was ignoring me so I asked if I could get my change. She ignored me 2 or 3 times till she got loud and said that I had only asked for 5 ones back.

Maybe im too nice, or maybe I was wrong but I took it as a miscommunication somehow and walked away.

So this got me thinking about situations when you are owed just 1 or 2$ and were going to tip more anyway. Do you still tip more or what?

2. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yah, hate it!!

I'll tip... But don't assume the tip amount!

- - - Updated - - -

Yah, hate it!!

I'll tip... But don't assume the tip amount!

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    By "tip cup" you mean the cup that they put on the bar in front of you? Or are they actually putting it in their tip jar?

I've never seen one just put the money in a separate tip jar, but in the cup in front of me it makes sense: if they put it on the bar that could have wet spots from cup condensation or sticky spots where somebody spilled a drink. You can always take money out of the tip cup if you think its too much.

This really depends on how you worded your request. If it was just as you described then the bartender was right: it sounds like you only asked for $5 back, in the form of $1s.

For some of this you also have to consider that they (bartenders, but not just limited to them and including almost anybody in the service industry) can get pretty busy and the more customers they can serve the better their performance (and more tips they can collect) - most people only see service workers in the scope of their own personal interactions with them specifically and not the grand scheme of things.

So if it comes to giving you your change it is faster and more efficient for them to put it in a cup than to wait for you to hold out your hand to collect it... or with the $5 in $1s confusion to just do as you asked rather than have to double check or haggle with every customer on how much they intended to tip. That might sound like a lack of service but they aren't doing it just to you: by them doing all that for the dozen other people at the bar means they are able to serve you instead of having you sit there and wait for 20 minutes.

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it was TRUE miscommunication then I think you would have gotten her attention quickly (as if the drink was not satisfactory or you needed a napkin or whatever) when you requested her to rectify the situation. Her ignoring you was a sign she had a clue what the issue was (it would appear). However, yes, it might have been best for you to ask for your change in one$ rather than hand a separate bill with the request. But it is a cheap lesson and I am glad you shared it for those of us not aware of such miscommunications.

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
    Spur of momento trip
  5. JTEINMN

JTEINMN Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be interested to know where this occurred. Maybe someone knows if this is standard practice at THIS establishment, or certain bartenders!!

6. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't had this happen but once, at a local bar we frequent. I learned it was her pratice and asked for my change when I didn't want it going in the tip jar.
    But, I use my credit card most of the time.

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the other side of this I had a bartender say that people will expect their change from a dollar when they get a .99 margarita. True story.

8. bu$hman

bu$hman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, yeah! They got to put it in the penny slot. :peace:

9. user3657

user3657 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    doesnt matter 1$ or a penny. I wouldnt make a fuss over it but if I am owed a penny, I would expect it back. Give me a penny, get 2$ in return.

I have always been a good tipper, and have done this many times and never had an issue. I have though encountered the occasional bartender that will keep 1 or 2$ and put it straight in their tip jar. I also have encountered many times when you get 2 drinks they give you a 5$ back instead of 5 ones hoping that you will give the 5$.

Im not really sure what happened in my case, but what really urked me was that she completely ignored me even after I flat out asked for my change. I waited patiently trying to make eye contact and grab her attn and that did not work, you know bar ethics. It was clear she was ignoring me. When she finally poured a drink infront of me, I asked if I could get my change. I waited patiently and had to ask a 3rd time when she gained an attitude and mentioned that I said I only wanted 5 in 1's back. I know what I said, and it wasnt that. I figured she "could" of misunderstood me. if it was a misunderstanding, I felt the situation could of been handled alot better. It was at Haze nightclub, my first drink, on my first night of my trip so I let it go.

I always started tips at 2$ per drink(thats why I wanted the extra 1's), but this has caused me to rethink that. This trip I started tipping 1$ per drink and if the bartender gives small bills back, counts the money and places it in hand, it goes to 2$. If the drinks are strong and service is fast it goes up from there.

- - - Updated - - -

doesnt matter 1$ or a penny. I wouldnt make a fuss over it but if I am owed a penny, I would expect it back. Give me a penny, get 2$ in return.

I have always been a good tipper, and have done this many times and never had an issue. I have though encountered the occasional bartender that will keep 1 or 2$ and put it straight in their tip jar. I also have encountered many times when you get 2 drinks they give you a 5$ back instead of 5 ones hoping that you will give the 5$.

Im not really sure what happened in my case, but what really urked me was that she completely ignored me even after I flat out asked for my change. I waited patiently trying to make eye contact and grab her attn and that did not work, you know bar ethics. It was clear she was ignoring me. When she finally poured a drink infront of me, I asked if I could get my change. I waited patiently and had to ask a 3rd time when she gained an attitude and mentioned that I said I only wanted 5 in 1's back. I know what I said, and it wasnt that. I figured she "could" of misunderstood me. if it was a misunderstanding, I felt the situation could of been handled alot better. It was at Haze nightclub, my first drink, on my first night of my trip so I let it go.

I always started tips at 2$ per drink(thats why I wanted the extra 1's), but this has caused me to rethink that. This trip I started tipping 1$ per drink and if the bartender gives small bills back, counts the money and places it in hand, it goes to 2$. If the drinks are strong and service is fast it goes up from there.

10. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never had bills withheld but when I've had coins not returned, I smile back and think to myself "thanks for saving me from giving a bill tip". Why would you assume, baffles me.

If we weren't to expect $.01 back from a dollar paid on a $.99 margarita, then make the thing cost $1

11. TimWhalen

TimWhalen Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to work as a server and a bartender (I now manage) and it is a scummy thing to do. In this kind of setting (a loud night club) they are taking advantage of the surroundings to rip you off. Plain and simple that's what it is. It is too bad because there is very little recourse other than the honesty of the bartender. Who is really going to go search out a manager at the club so that they can get a few dollars back? Just a bogus situation and unfortunately all you can do is go to a different bartender/bar and follow up with a review online.

12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had such a thing happen... if it's simple miscommunication that's one thing, BUT if it's the bartender's M.O... I'd be pissed! I love to tip for good service, but I wouldn't stand for anyone "assuming" their tip.

13. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. I am a good tipper but assuming a tip is a good way to have me not give one or to only give a buck.

She knew what she was doing...

14. Slotfever

Slotfever Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally agree! I've been a bartender and I've had bartenders do this to me. I've noticed it's usually a newer untrained bartender that does this, but that's just my opinion. I've actually confronted several of them and pointed out that the change they assumed was a tip was less than I would have tipped for the drink.

15. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No one should ever assume a tip. You give back all of the change and let the customer do what they need to do. I've never had this happen but i'd be majorly annoyed if it did.

16. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I honestly cannot ever remember this ever happening to me. Very shady.

17. dutchvelvet

dutchvelvet VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was a bartender a long time before I entered the real world. I tip very well. You should never just tip yourself, that is way sleazy.

Now, as to the OP it is very common for someone to ask for a certain amount of change back. If the drink costs less the rest is a tip. I think that is what she probably understood.

18. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really don't even like it if I supposed to get five bucks in change and they give it in singles. I am usually drowning in singles and don't need the suggestion to tip or the change.

19. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know this has never happened to me in Vegas because in 30+ years, I have never "paid" for a drink. I'm always gambling at the bar. But, we travel a lot and have never seen this practice. Although, I've also never been to a club in Vegas.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  20. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Death by firing squad would be a fair punishment for a bartender or waiter/waitress tipping themselves in my opinion. I consider myself a good tipper, but it's for me to decide how much I want to tip, not them. Another thing that bothers me is the question of "would you like change back?" I had this happen one time when the bill was around $22 and I had stuck two $20 bills in there. Yes, I absolutely want my change, you are not getting that much of a tip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.