1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your favorite Houston area restaurants?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by letsgotovegas, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. letsgotovegas

letsgotovegas Low-Roller

Way off topic, but I know all you VMB foodies will help me out.

We'll be visiting Houston next week for a few days.

Can you recommend some favorite restaurants for BBQ, Mexican/Tex-Mex, Burgers, and Whatever?

We'll generally be on the north side of town (near IAH) but will have a car and a GPS so willing to be adventurous.

We prefer the "local" places, not chains that can be found anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Kelly

2. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have some "local chains" that are run by the Pappas family and they are outstanding. My favorite Tex/Mex is Pappasitos and there is one not far from IAH--they have fabulous margaritas and the queso is wonderful. Also, they have a Cajun restaurant called Pappadeaux's (great etouffe and crab cakes) in the area.

As far as BBQ goes, I love Carl's BBQ out on 290/Telge area.....it looks like a dump from the outside, but has fabulous food. Goode Company in the same area also has great BBQ.

You didn't mention chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and cream gravy.....yummy!

btw, I would not qualify for VMB foodie.....yes, I love great food (SW Steak house, Julian Serrano's, etc), but I'm unlikely to be a food critic. But, I have lived in the Houston area for almost 30 years, so am a decent judge of good food here.

3. xman30

xman30 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chuy's on Westheimer near the Galleria area is a great Tex-Mex place.

xman30

4. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Killen’s Steakhouse in Pearland. Don’t be fooled by the nondescript exterior – the food is seriously good!

http://www.killenssteakhouse.com/index.html

For a pork chop of epic proportion or a good steak, try Perry’s Steakhouse. There are several locations in the Houston area.
    http://www.perrysrestaurants.com/

Michiru Sushi: There are two locations in the Houston area. My husband is a sushi snob and this is one of the few places he will eat sushi in Houston.

http://www.michirusushi.com/

I'm not a foodie and I've only lived here since 1995. We eat out frequently and I know what I like :)

5. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree 100% with Kelly on Perrys Steakhouse--they are most famous for their porkchops though. The steak and wine list is great too. Great restaurant.

I don't agree with Xman though....Chuys is a national chain....they are about to open a location in Reno even. Not true Tex Mex--more like real Mexican. I have only eaten at the Chuys at highway 6 and 290 and never went back. We have a Tex Mex dive (not a chain) in Tomball that I think is better than Chuys...YMMV and clearly Xman loves it.

6. Texas Gramma

Texas Gramma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Luvstp was right, anything Pappas is good. 3 other places i might recommend on the north side of Houston are El Tiempo Cantina, 114 Vintage Park Blvd... wonderful Mexican food... pricey but great is their Deluxe Parrilla... comes over a charcoal brazier with Beef, Chicken and Pork Fajitas, plus Lobster Tail, Fried Mushrooms, Chili Relleno, Shrimp, Quail, Ribs and Jalapeno Sausage. It is said to serve one or more... but it is enough for 2 or 3. Zio's Italian, 14915 North Freeway... everything is good, but I especially like their Italian Nachos... great appetizer. If you have a car and are wanting to go a little further, there is a place called Mel's Country Cafe, 24814 Stanolind Rd in Tomball, TX. It is a hidden gem that the locals love. All of these have menus online. Have a happy time in Houston!

7. Brensan

Brensan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with Luvstp - you can't go wrong with any Pappa's restaurant! If you are anywhere near the west side, Fulshear has a couple of great, unique restaurants. Dozier's BBQ http://www.doziersbbq.com They have been around for almost 50 years. And a brand new - purely Texas restaurant called Dekker's Mesquite Grill http://www.dekkersmesquitegrill.net complete with open fire pits and live country music on weekends.

BEAU RIVAGE - Super Bowl weekend
  8. letsgotovegas

letsgotovegas Low-Roller

Wow, awesome!

Thanks a million for all the suggestions! I'm going to work up my potential restaurant list in the next day or so, unfortunately, real life has gotten in the way of my trip research!

Perry's sounds amazing for the pork chops - we both love pork chops and that is preliminarily penciled in for Friday afternoon.

Oh, and my definition of "foodie" is anyone who loves great food and is willing to talk about it!

Thanks again, foodies, keep those ideas coming!

Cheers,
    Kelly

9. sammowhammo

sammowhammo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Brennan's Everything I have had is excellent. I don't eat terrapin but my best friend raves about the turtle soup.

The Flying Saucer Decent food - the purpose of which is to allow you to drink more beer. Yes that is the beer menu - a lot on tap.

Goode Company BBQ You can't miss it - there's a giant armadillo on top of the place.

Go line dancing & learn to 2-step

If you're a baseball fan & like BBQ - go to Alvin, Texas and see the Nolan Ryan Museum and eat at Joe's BBQ, which is also filled with Nolan Ryan stuff and excellent BBQ

Like Pie? House of Pies there's regular diner type food there too which is okay but the pies are awesome.

Mexican - Pappas is excellent so is Ninfas

I haven't been here in a few years but El Hidalguense is excellent - they serve goat & lamb. If you have never had Cabrito (baby goat) you are in for a treat.

That's all I got.

10. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the best red beans and rice (and amazing lemonade and butter cake), go downtown to Treebeards. No place better for red beans and rice.

11. KellyLovesVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with Sammo - Joe's BBQ in Alvin is awesome, and Brennan's is consistently good.

12. sammowhammo

sammowhammo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kelly we haven't eaten at Killen's - you are right about the exterior - what do you like there most?

Niko Niko is really good Greek food - I like the Montrose location better - it's in an interesting arsty-fartsy, quasi hipster part of town with a lot of interesting resale and antique shops nearby - also near the Galleria

13. KellyLovesVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorites are the beet-arugula salad and the dry aged center cut filet.

14. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the Houston Brennan's affiliated with the New Orleans Brennans? Dickie and co.?

15. KellyLovesVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes - from the Brennan's Houston webpage: "Forty-three years ago, the Brennan’s family of New Orleans opened the doors of Brennan’s of Houston, one of America’s most beloved dining destinations and the forerunner in serving Texas Creole cuisine."

16. letsgotovegas

letsgotovegas Low-Roller

How about Italian?

Now I've been informed that we need to consider Italian food as well.

Any suggestions?

On north side / Woodlands area if possible. Open late if possible too!

Thanks in advance...you guys have given me so many good suggestions already my list is quite long! :nworthy:

Thanks a million!

Cheers,
    Kelly

17. KellyLovesVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I can't help you there. My favorite Italian restaurants in the Houston area are near NASA - Johnson Space Center (halfway between Houston and Galveston - about 46 miles from IAH).

18. sammowhammo

sammowhammo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frenchies?

19. texdan17

texdan17 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got in the drive thru at Frenchie's once and we had to leave because the cashier stormed out of the building to go get into a weave fight (like weaves were pulled out of heads) with a customer in the parking lot. We did stay to see the theatrics though.

20. KellyLovesVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:

No... Years ago I went to lunch (with a group from work) at Frenchie's. The food was average, but the portions were huge. That may appeal to some, but I'm not a big eater. I haven't had the desire to go back.

My favorite Italian place is Pomodoro's. There are locations on NASA Rd 1, and in League City on Marina Bay Dr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.