1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your Favorite Childhood Book

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasGroove, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whether it was read to you or you read it yourself.

Mine was "The Five Chinese Brothers". Loved, loved, loved that book!

When I was in my 30's, my sister gave me a copy of the book. When I opened the box, I just cried!! I hadn't seen that book in like 25 years - it brought back such great memories. I cherish it now!

What is your favorite childhood book?

2. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't say I had a favorite,but did devour the 'HardyBoys' books from the library.I thought having a library card was the coolest thing at the time..(And still do) Then a few years later it was all sports related...'Ball Four' stands out to me..I was what 10 or 11 and found out BBall players cursed and drank and chased women.haha.Loved Jerry Kramer's 'Instant Replay' also it cememted my GBPacker backer status to this day.Also honorable mention to 'Steal this Book' by Abbie Hoffman..

3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was a HUGE reader when I was a kid. I read all mom's old Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books, with the sort of plaid green covers. I read lots of girly fairy tales and even a book of Grimm's, which I'm pretty sure warped my brain.

But the one book I go back to over and over and over again is The Little Prince. I love it even more now that I'm a grown up. Allegedly. I still see a snake eating an elephant and NOT a hat. :wink2:

4. dutchvelvet

dutchvelvet VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read probably 50 different Hardy Boys books, all blue covers. I'd say my favorite was the Hobbit and LOTR though.

5. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Little Bear. My family had developed a whole mythological bear world. But Little Bear was an early book and a big one for me. It kind of makes me sad in a way to remember that.

Super Bowl Weekend for a Bachelor Party!
  6. klevegas

klevegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi

I loved The Black Stallion (and most any horse book!). Also loved Charlotte's Web.

7. VegasMyPlayground

VegasMyPlayground Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    where the wild things are. Was the best!

8. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Takes of a Fourth Grade Nothing
    Superfudge

Also the Encyclopedia Brown series and the Choose Your Own Adventure books. I would get as many of those as I could find.

9. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Velveteen Rabbit.

Bill

10. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a toddler, my favorites were Bil, My Little Raccoon and The Velveteen Rabbit.

When I was able to read books by myself (late teens-early 20's), I loved The Mouse and the Motorcycle series by Beverly Cleary.

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went to the library every week (in elementary school, it was every Thursday because it was open late so my mom could pick me up after work and I could go there after Girl Scouts because it was across the street) Heck, I *still* go to the library pretty much every week. I read EVERYTHING and still do. I remember fighting with the librarian when I was ~5 because I had just submitted my summer book reading list (of titles I had completed) and she wouldn't give me the prize because she said there was no way I could have read the books myself (I started reading at 3). I had to get my mom to come explain. And then I think I gave the librarian a demonstration - she picked out a random book and I started reading it to her. I got my prize:Þ

Anyway, I read all the Nancy Drew & Trixie Belden books. Boxcar children and Bobbsey twins - love mysteries, still do. Actually, I finished all the "kids" mysteries by age 10 or 11 and moved on to Agatha Christie and I remember some nosy old lady in a store telling my mom off for letting someone so young read Agatha Christie. My mom just shrugged and ignored her - smart move. I was a hyperactive kid (literally, I was on ritalin for a couple years) but as long as I had a book, I was quiet and would just sit still and read. So of course, my parents kept me well stocked!

12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mr. Propper's Penguins

Robinson Crusoe

Treasure Island

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.