1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your bracket after the first round?

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by shifter, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how's your bracket looking as the first round comes to a close? Mine is so, so, but I did manage to get a few key plays to come through.

I had Davidson beating Marquette yesterday and got screwed when they choked away a 4 point lead in the last 8 seconds. But I did have Oregon, Cal and Ole Miss winning. A couple of plays that didn't come through were Belmont, New Mexico and St Mary's.

But my biggest win of the day was Florida Gulf Coast knocking off Georgetown. They were my dark-horse win for the first round, so it's sweet to see that one come through!

2. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice call on FGCU (or whatever their initials are).

I was perfect yesterday. Today, not so much. Wisconsin and G'town hurt me. I had both of them winning multiple games. But as a Hoosier fan, they represent 2 of my 3 biggest "scary match ups" (OSU being the other)...so I can live with my bracket getting f'ed.

3. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine isn't too bad. I'm pretty heavy on the big ten. Wisconsin hurt me a little.
    A few of my upsets won which helps.

4. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my Big 12 focus isnt' looking too good, especially my Kansas - K State final. :cry:

5. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Obiliterated.

Most likely already done.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had UNLV to the Sweet 16... cue the laughter!!!

7. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice Florida Gulf Coast pick! That's great

I submit the same bracket to each different pool, and I'm at up the top of both right now. But both score each round progressively (1 point for the first round, 2 for the second, 4 for the Sweet 16, etc) so being up by a point after round one means literally nothing. I've lost a few Sweet 16 teams but luckily my Elite 8 is intact.

While I'd love to win my pools and the bragging rights + spare change that go along with it, seeing wild upsets without a doubt trumps seeing my bracket stay clean

8. 21wins

21wins VIP Whale

I have 25 of my 32 left.

Wisconsin was the killer. Had them going to FF. Had Georgetown to Elite Eight.

I will never again trust Bo Ryan in March.

9. Darkace54

Darkace54 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not looking good, but I do have 3 of my final four teams left. I got caught up in the Wisconsin hype and had them coming out of the west. I guess I forgot Bo Ryan can't coach worth a darn in the tournament.

10. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I filled out a few diff brackets, none of which look very good at all right now. My worst had NM and Gtown in the Final four, that one is cashed! Ive done worse this year than any year ever, its just been a very hard year to pick games.

11. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had 22 correct out of 32, which sucks. Pretty much guessed wrong on ALL of the 8/9 and 7/10 matchups.

Had GT and NM going to the final 4 - LOL on those picks. Those picks were made based on the experts hype which goes against my better instinct of believing the experts, usually I take the contrarian approach.

Had WI wrong but good to see the big 10 doing well overall.

Didn't see ND going far but to get totally blasted out of the gym is another story.:grrr:

It's all good fun, good luck to everyone. :beer:

12. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i don't pick a bracket. but my brother does, and i use his picks for the one tournament pool i enter each year.

we also had Davidson, and i was highly irritated that they choked that one away. but here's where we kicked ass. we also had that Florida Gulf Cost team beating Georgetown. 1.5 percent of yahoo users worldwide picked GC. in my pool of 25 there was one person who had Georgetown eliminated in its second game, everyone else had Georgetown in the sweet 16 or better. my buddy's wife, who doesn't follow basketball, had the Hoyas as her national champion. BUSTED!

and while i don't know his rationale, my brother didn't pick GC on a whim. he follows basketball and obviously saw something he liked. just about every year a 14 beats a 3 and/or a 13 beats a 4. a 12 always beats a 5. but it's still pretty special when a 15 beats a 2. (what is it, 7 total in the tourney history?) brilliant pick on his part, evidently, especially since a lot of people expected to make more than a few points off of georgetown. if he was wrong, we would have given up a lot of points.

i'll probably lose, like always, but for one night i feel like the winner. for the first round i was 24 of 32, with co-leaders at 25. i have the highest possible score remaining, not that that means anything.

interesting yahoo tidbits: two people worldwide had 30 of 32 on yahoo. one of them had St. Louis as his national champ. nice story, and not impossible, but odds are he won't be atop the leader board at the end. one guy on yahoo had 28 of 32 in the opening round, yet didn't pick any of the other rounds. he was probably just lucky, anyway.

13. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went with FGCU because I heard their coach on mike and Mike earlier in the week and just had the feeling they would show up to play. Plus GT always craps out in March. And the 15 2 upset has been hot lately.

14. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hot lately? i need to see a list. i know it happens, didn't realize it has happened with great frequency in recent years.

15. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happened 3 times in the last 2 years after happening twice in the previous 20+.

16. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    like i said, i gotta see a list. i didn't realize they were that frequent in recent years.

more than a few people expect that a no. 16 is gonna win soon. arguably it should happen if you play thousands of 16/1 games.

we've seen competitive 16/1 games in the past, and not just the past two years, so i expect to see it in my lifetime.

17. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  18. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I picked FGCU after seeing/reading about them in Fort Myers while I was down there for MLB Spring Training. They were intriguing; a poor man's "Lob City" :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jlIBRkr4Ar4#t=21s

19. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My bracket is wrecked beyond repair. My bracket had Georgetown going to the Final Four. Mizzou was gonna win one then go home. Oklahoma St. and UNLV were going to the Sweet 16. New Mexico was headed to the Elite Eight.
    WRONG.

later, GVJ

20. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    well so much for that. my bracket is officially busted. had St Louis in the finals. oops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.