1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your best hangover cures...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by reedy, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just use the Pedialyte powder packets. They dont seem dosed for babies, they seem full strength. I have never felt I needed more than one packet.

2. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which flavor do you like the most, Cap?

3. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just know the one I dont care for! The Apple flavor!! its doesnt go well after a night of various spirits.

4. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Loving the great info..

Going to add Pedialyte/Emergen-C packets to my B12, BComplex and Potassium cocktail thanks to this thread.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man is that ever true! I like the fruit punch and whatever the other red one is, but the apple? Yuck!

6. fadetheseven

fadetheseven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never drink enough to get hungover but the general principle is rehydration with electrolytes. This is the reason people love them bags of IV fluid. They usually contain sodium chloride, not just water.

Forget pedialyte if youre cheap. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy#Basic_solution

1tablespoon sugar and 1/2 tsp table salt per liter of water

what can be cheaper? you can even bring packets that you steal from fine dining establishments you find in airport terminals. Tastes like crap, but you'll be drunk anyway.

Gatorade has more than the necessary sugar and not enough of the electrolytes.

7. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I'll keep that in mind if Im ever in a situation where I need to make do with simple ingredients.

As someone who experiences the worst hangovers known to mankind, Ill gladly pay whatever the cost is to avoid them in the first place (outside of taking it easy :wink2:)

8. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drink A LOT so before bed I drink a couple of bottle waters and take a few Oxy's. Wake up and take a couple more with more water. Takes the edge right off that hangover!:evillaugh

9. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whenever possible, I try to make sure I've eaten a high-fat, high cholesterol meal either before a long night of drinking, or sometime during. (Way-back-when, the "sometime during" was always best fulfilled by the Burger King at the back of O'Shea's at 2 AM - double-meat with cheese, large fries...mmm!)

During all of my Vegas trips, I always take B-Complex w/C (time-released), as well as one of my favorite products - Weider High Energy tablets. When I crash for the night, I take 4 Alka-seltzer tablets with two hotel-room sized glasses of water, 1 Cranberry supplement, 1 final b-complex and a Potassium supplement. I usually wake up hangover-free. But if if I do get one, then I repeat the alka-seltzer & head to a breakfast of eggs over medium, patty-sausage, hash-browns & english muffin....ordered with coffee & an extra-tall glass of Lake Mead with ice.
    This always has me feeling better. Then, the first two cocktails at the blackjack table are spicy bloody-marys. The ones at Golden Nugget are quite good, as are the ones at Fremont.

10. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Do not ever take any kind of Tylenol or acetaminophen or any other pain killer with acetaminophen in it with alcohol or for a hangover when you still have booze in your system. It's a liver and kidney killer.

You can take almost any kind of nsaid like naproxen sodium or ibuprofen with food and you'll be fine.

11. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are absolutely right. People have died from this, the combination can be deadly, even if you don't drink that heavily. My husband and I like our cocktails, and I don't even buy acetaminophen products anymore, because he couldn't seem to remember not to take them if he had been drinking.

12. Kimsa70

Kimsa70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I need to try some of these because typically by my 3rd morning in Vegas, I feel like total crap. I usually just try to stay hydrated and take ibuprofen, but that's not been working lately. I'll give some of the suggestions above a try. Unfortunately, I have no access to oxys...lol!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  13. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oxy's are what I was aiming at when I made my reply. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. Don't take a chance with oxy's. Almost all of them have acetaminophen.

On top of that, mixing opitates or barbituates with booze results in slowed down respiration and heart rate. You can get away with it a bunch of times but it only takes one time for you to die. Or worse, you end up in the hospital explaining to your family/friends/spouse/boss/co-workers/employees why you're in there. Uh....I had a bad reaction...to....shellfish.....yeah.....

14. reg1986

reg1986 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Menudo "breakfast of champions!"

15. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll third that, first time I drank one of those apple ones I damn near puked. I was expecting apple juice and got piss instead.

16. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those pedialyte packets are hard to find. Went to Walmart and CVS today and neither place had them. Had to settle for a bottle of grape pedialyte.

17. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First time I went to look for them I went around the sports-drinks, then the diet-stuff, then wised-up and asked and was directed to the infant-formula area. I've found them at Raley's, CVS and Walgreens in that area.

18. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup every time I've bought them they are always in the baby food section.

19. VegasMarv

VegasMarv Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quart of Gatorade and 2 Aleve before bed = no hangover. However, a Bloody Mary first thing in the morning will prepare you well for the potential hangover you will have from the festivities the next night - just saying...:beer:

20. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drank like a fish (lost count after 8 beers and 2 bloody marys)yesterday for Sunday funday and this method worked flawlessly. Woke up today needing a little sleep but no hint of a hangover. This will come in very handy for football Sundays :evillaugh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.