1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wynn April 7/11 Garth and A Surprise Exit

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by SClinahoo, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SClinahoo

SClinahoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I should start out like everyone else apologizing for the length of this report but I don’t know that it will be that long and if you are like me you have developed the ability to scan through what you don’t want to read. I will try to break it up to help you in that cause.

Background

I have been going to Las Vegas for a while but increased it to three or four times a year about ten years ago. I gave up golf around then and use those funds to bankroll my activities. I play blackjack and video poker (toss in craps and LIR when I get the urge) and have, like all of us been up and down over the years.

Over the course of those years I have evolved from a Gold Total Rewards to now I am RFB at a couple of places. My favorite host moved from Mirage to Wynn and invited me to follow her. Since she had been so good to me at Mirage I was torn because I am one of those people who has always felt very comfortable there (my first trip staying in Mirage was two months after it opened many years ago) and candidly, had not felt particularly welcome or lucky (yes, lucky) at Wynn. I am not as slow as I look and know Wynn/Encore are marvelous properties; it was just every time I played there I lost; I could never get any traction and therefore no offers!

Anyway, she enticed me to move about two years ago and I am loving it. She treats me well and on occasion I have actually been picked up in the Rolls Limo (although I am certain that is not my level – merely a bone being tossed by my host so I can say I have ridden in one a couple of times – and the discussion with that driver was priceless but not topical to this trip).

This trip was primarily about seeing Garth. I am a fan and have not been out there when he was playing. I stopped trying to understand why he wasn’t scheduling his shows when he saw I was coming and instead broke down and scheduled when he was coming. More on the show below.

Travel

I am going out Thursday the 7th. Wife following on Friday. Monday return. Flew Delta (“Don’t Ever Leave The Airportâ€) and I had no real problems. Used miles to upgrade and after watching one of the worst (read “bestâ€) action flicks in a while “Faster†and drinking a couple of Woodfords we were in Las Vegas. No celebrities on plane but no shortage of incredibly built men who I guessed were MMA combatants based upon their gear.

Driver met me at bottom of escalator and before I knew it I was at hotel.

I am having back problems so I was very impressed that my host had arranged for scooter to get around and when limo drove up to Tower Suites entrance at Wynn I was met by the scooter. Whisked through to RFP check-in and in the room in less than 40 minutes from touchdown.

Wife’s trip a little different because storms on East Coast and she was delayed about three hours. She eventually got in for dinner. Trip home completely uneventful.

Room

By far the nicest room I have had. A remodeled Tower Parlor Suite with a bathroom larger than the first apartment we lived in after our marriage! Attached is a blurry photo of the bathroom entrance.

I won’t spend a lot of time covering this because I am not capable of describing it – perhaps that is genetic?

Meals

I am not a foodie but can recall some of the details.

Ate room service breakfast two days – I am a fan this and wife loves it too.

Dinner Friday night was at Lakeside Grill and this was my second – and perhaps final – time there. Nothing wrong with it but it is not doing anything for me. Perhaps it is my not ordering the proper thing? I dunno. Wife ordered Lobster Risotto and that was actually, as we say, jam up. Oh well, as I write this I sense perhaps I will go back and try to order better.

Saturday breakfast we ate at Tableau and it was very good. Had Lobster Benedict and wife had some type of waffle – We shared and both were outstanding!

Saturday dinner was at La Cave and we shared three small plates and enjoyed them all. We had the crab cups, scallops and filet along with a chocolate cake dessert (I had to laugh because the difference between what I saw in my mind’s eye and what came out on the cake was remarkable; there were two small round extremely delicious cakes – each two or so bites). Anyway, everything including the wine was outstanding.

Sunday lunch we had a local couple over to eat with us at the Country Club Cajun Brunch. His dad had been a host at Caesars during the “old days’ and his stories were outstanding. The food there was varied and you went through a buffet and also ordered an entrée. I was vacillating about what to get – two of the four of us ordered the French Toast Bread pudding but the guys at the table next to ours told me I was making a mistake if I passed on the hot dog; “it’s the best you’ll ever eatâ€. I was not really sold on anything so I got that – wow, what a good choice.

The Masters was in full fever pitch when we were eating and the place was abuzz because Tiger had just made his front nine charge and everyone was anticipating something crazy. We were correct – the back nine was crazy!

Dinner that night at Switch. I have eaten here several times and enjoyed it but it was a mistake since we had eaten such a large lunch. Would not repeat that mistake again since the greater part of our steaks was boxed (although we then ordered scrambled eggs for room service the next morning, had steak and eggs and it was perfect).

Garth

OK, I will say it - - the best show I have ever seen. Period. Two solid hours of all types of music. I knew he was a great performer but really had not appreciated his voice or guitar playing abilities.

I won’t cover it too much since so much has been written about it. I am a Garth fan but he is not my favorite performer but that may change. He was amazing.

An added item of interest: thanks to my host we had third row center seats and two minutes before the show Steve Wynn and his fiancé and two other couples came in and took the front six seats. Security then spent the rest of the evening keeping people from bugging them. I don’t usually notice these things but Hissom’s ring – Good Lord! Reminds me of Michael Scott’s comment on “The Office†a couple of weeks ago (“you’re supposed to spend about three years salary on the ring, correct?â€).

Gambling

The real reason I like to go.

Overall played blackjack at Wynn, Encore, Palazzo and Harrah’s. On Friday at Palazzo I was at a table with a fun dealer and pit boss and parlayed $500 to about $1,700. Otherwise, until Sunday night I lost, lost, lost at Blackjack. After dinner at Switch I sat at a $50 table in Encore and managed to cash out up about $3,000. Unfortunately I took about half of that and tried to hit the home run on video poker and was unable to do so that night.

Video poker is another story. I like to play $1 DDB multi play. I start with three lines and if successful will go to five or ten lines. On rare occasions I will play single line $5 DDB. I was up and mostly down until Friday afternoon I hit four aces without the kicker on a $5.00 bet for $4,000 (upside down photo below - sorry).

That, as you can imagine helped a lot and funded my blackjack losses.

The Wild Part of My Story:

Getting ready to leave on Monday morning I told my wife that I had not emptied out all of my free play – I think I had $96 and some change left in it. She agreed to wait for the bellman to get the luggage and meet me at the entrance. I went to play that free play off before our 9:30 car was going to take us to the airport.

I went to my favorite machine and played three line $1.00 and almost instantly hit four of a kind. So, not listening to that little voice in my mind telling me to take that and run, I stepped up my bet and was dealt four 7's on a $5.00 bet for a win of $3,750 (photo below).

But, wait, now I am sweating making the car (really making my plane) while I am waiting for the hand pay. Bored I slide down one seat, put in a hundred and immediately hit a 4OAK for $1,250.

Yes and Yikes!

They pay me the $3,750 and go off to get the second pay.

Bored I slide down one seat and two hands later hit another $1,250 4OAK. I finally get paid, go out to the car and before wife can give me the evil eye I hand her the bundle.

I get to come home a winner!

2. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best time to win is at the end of your trip, because you don't gamble it back! Congrats!

3. DBear

DBear VIP Whale

Nice "wynns" at the end there. No celebs sightings on the plane but at least you got one at show.

4. sfplayer

sfplayer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice wins at the end there, sounds like a great trip:beer:

5. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice hits, I wouldn't have minded missing the plane with that luck (skill?)

6. oawooc

oawooc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good report..but I though Delta sttod for DIRECT EVERYONE"S LUGGAGE TO ATLANTA.

7. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    great story... what did the wife say when you handed her the bundle...

Good job :) hehe

8. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent trip report!

$5,000 from $96 freeplay! Congratulations on your Alcoa Fantastic Finish!!!

9. bratkar

bratkar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    great trip report! Thanks for sharing!

Free play wins > proof to the other thread, people do win on free play! congrats!

Garth, I know some people dont like him and dont like his show he has in Vegas, but he is by far one of the best artists of his time. I adore him and if I wasnt so cheap, I'd have been to vegas multiple times to see him.

I read these reports of Wynn and it makes waiting for my December trip SO much harder!!!!

Thanks again!

Kelli

10. LaRae

LaRae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on the win. Maybe another trip sooner than expected is in the cards??

11. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SC...I loved your TR:nworthy: I had a trip like that in 2009 at the Mirage, every time I sat down it seemd I hit. Last day just waiting for the limo to the airport killing time, stuck a $100 in a 50 cent TDB machine and on the 3rd hand, was dealt 4 aces w/ the kicker for another $2K. Best trip we've ever had too date.

I'm thinking we may have had the same host at the Mirage. She moved to Wynn a little over a year ago. I had left Mirage for the most part after MGM destroyed it w/ their "renovation":rolleyes2: and had already become established w/ a host at Wynn. I was really torn when I found she had moved but I really like our new host too so I stopped to talk to her one day and she completely understood.

Congrats and the great Winns at Wynn:thumbsup: Sounds like you've established some good Wynncore Karma:beer:

12. SClinahoo

SClinahoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the comments

Viva – yes, amazing amount from Free Play but it was actually $6,250!

Chess – my wife, by nature of being married to me for over 30 years is accustomed to the unexpected and rolls with the punches. I shared some of my gain and the rest went into the gambling kitty for a trip to Bellagio in June.

Dean Martin – we may have had the same hosts. As I understand it two of the most senior hosts left Mirage for Wynn a year or two ago and it’s 50-50 we had the same one. By the way, the Mirage has effectively cut me loose and somehow Bellagio has stepped up to try to get me to come. The offers I get from Bellagio are four times the offers I am getting from any other M-Life (what a silly name) properties.

13. cpochick

cpochick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great TR - Thanks for sharing. Great hits on VP! Congrats!

14. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really enjoyed your TR and have to agree that Garth's show ranks right up there among the best I have ever seen....I wouldn't hesitate to go again!

Awesome hits right before leaving....especially sweet having it happen on your freeplay. I'm sure your wife got over your tardiness when you handed over the wad. Congrats!
    :eek:

15. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What an ending!!

congrats.

Garth is an amazing show. No doubt about it.

16. Jinx

Jinx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report, loved the wins at the end and glad you made the flight, nothing like putting a bundle in your pocket minutes before you fly out.

17. Sheltie Lover

Sheltie Lover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice TR especially the win's:)

We keep missing Garth..Nice to know you enjoyed his show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.