1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

WSOP seniors event

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by scottydoog, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottydoog

scottydoog Low-Roller

Birmingham, England. But born and raised in Bonny
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thinking of playing in this event, I know they get a fairly big field (3000+), anyone have any experience in playing this event in previous years?

2. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went in last year and there was nothing significant that doesn't happen in any tournaments. I do like that they have upped the starting stack from 3000 to 5000. I think there is already a thread regarding this tournament. You may have to do a little research but it is there.

3. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have any direct experience of the event that I can supply, but I will also be playing the Seniors this year. My wife and I are travelling for our first ever WSOP experience and have pre-registered for the Monster Stack and the Seniors. Although, as I say, I've never played this before, I have done some research into it and can give you some facts and figures from the 2014 Seniors event that may be helpful.

Total Entries: 4,425
    Number paid: 468
    Min Cash: $1,752
    First Prize: $627,462
    486 players survived Day 1, so 18 players came back on Day 2 and did not cash.
    32 players survived Day 2, so those who made it to Day 3 were guaranteed at least $15,730

Good luck in the tournament,
    Bri

Bright light city's gonna set my soul...
  4. scottydoog

scottydoog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info. I guess survival is the key on day 1 and hope to double up a couple of times on day 2

5. Snickers99

Snickers99 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm hoping to play next year. If you play, try to remember to come back here and leave some thoughts or do a trip report. I'd be interesting in hearing how it went.

6. Adam

Adam Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For people coming in to play this event, a little warning - its the same weekend as EDC so room costs are through the roof.

7. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Adam,

I was lucky enough to have booked up straight after schedules were announced so managed to get 12 of my 13 nights in Vegas comped.

Also, this is a thread about the WSOP Seniors Event so, without trying to stereotype the over-50 poker playing demographic, I think that the abbreviation EDC may need some explanation, so hopefully this illustrates what all us oldies are letting ourselves in for:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=electric+daisy+carnival+vegas&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=1075&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=krxMVe-wMait7gbuloC4Ag&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=electric+daisy+carnival+vegas+girls

8. scottydoog

scottydoog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I already have all of my nights comped at Palazzo/Orleans/Cromwell, so no biggie there. I was in Vegas for the EDC 2 years ago, bit of a zoo for a couple of days, but hey, it is a bit of a zoo most weekends.....
    Snickers, I will do a TR, maybe try a live or semi live TR, see how it goes.

9. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know Snickers asked for a post-event update on this one because he's thinking of playing in 2016, so I thought I would jump back into the thread and oblige.

I had played in the Monster Stack event the week before so by the time I took my seat for the Seniors, I had already tasted the WSOP atmosphere and had a much better idea of what I was letting myself in for. Although I would recommend for any European - do NOT sit down at the table for a bracelet event less than 12 hours after getting off your flight! I busted out of teh Monster after 6 levels and was already falling asleep by then.

The Seniors event was definitely much more relaxed than the Monster. The table talk was fun, people chatted and got to know each other over the course of the day's play, and the pace of the early levels was sensible, allowing you to take your time and wait for good spots before putting lots of chips at risk. That's not to say the poker wasn't being taken seriously: quite the opposite. It was both friendly and competitive, and we did see some early bust-outs both through coolers and through plain old-fashioned bad play.

We were all amused by the fact that the Seniors Day 1 dinner break was scheduled for just after 4:30! They really wanted to make sure none of us old guys collapsed through low blood sugar! At my table, we started referring to the 20 minute breaks every two levels as "nap time".

As for the game play in the tournament, we had around 4,200 entries and a $3.77mill prize pool, with over $600,000 going to the winner. 567 players survived Day 1, and 423 of them were going to be paid, so the last level of Day 1 and the start of Day 2 were already falling victim to the great tournament curse of short stack stalling. Decisions being delayed by micro stacks in the hope of seeing others bust out and allowing them to sneak into the money. I was lucky enough to make Day 2 myself but I had a decent stack and didn't engage in the clock management being practised by the shorties.

Eventually, we went hand for hand with 425 left, and that lasted for one hand as we got two bust outs in the room as soon as that happened. In the end, I survived long enough to make the top 100, finishing 94th for just over $3800. I was bust by the guy who eventually went on to finish second for around $400,000.

So, Snickers - and anyone else thinking about it - I would highly recommend including the Seniors on any WSOP schedule. The old guys are just more laid back and funnier - and the rails are more excited and excitable. Partly because there are so many kids and grandkids cheering on their relatives - and those guys DO get into it!

If you're interested, you can read more detail on my whole WSOP adventure over at the blog I kept for the duration: www.losershistory.com

10. TriggerMN

TriggerMN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on the fine finish in the tournament!

11. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Trigger. It was a great experience and I'm already planning my 2016 shot at a bracelet!

12. Snickers99

Snickers99 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the update and congrats on the cash!

13. booker

booker High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! I sure wish that I could have made it this year.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.