1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

WSOP Live TR

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by bribhoy, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! Sunday brunch in Country Club is an experience. The band is excellent playing some cool jazz, some old standards, and what sounded like a little bit of zydeco and klezmer music.

The food is great here as well. This place was closed when we were here at this time last year so it's nice to get the chance to enjoy it this year.

Image1466364437.178565.jpg

2. mwig

mwig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love the poker coverage. We'll be out there soon to hit some events at the Nugget. I wanted to make it to the Rio but my wife likes the idea of being downtown so she can hit the pool if she doesn't want to play that day.

3. vegasvette

vegasvette High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great job on your report. Better luck in the tourney for both of you.

4. VegasJmr

VegasJmr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The band is called Mr. & Mrs. Smith and they are fantastic, a must see when visiting CC.

5. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoying your report and pics.

6. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last night we went to The Colosseum to see Steely Dan, supported by Steve Winwood and what a great gig that was. First, a word about the venue. I know a lot of you Vegas veterans will have been there a number of times but this was our first visit. What a great place to see a gig! Excellent acoustics and great sight lines. We were in the rear orchestra, just behind the sound desk.

As for the performances, Winwood was marvellous, playing a variety of songs from his extensive and varied career. Interestingly, he bookended his hour long set with Spencer Davies Group songs, starting with I'm a Man, and bringing the house down by closing with Gimme Some Lovin. Not bad for a support act.

Steely Dan were excellent too, putting together a really slick show and playing a lot of their classic tunes but didn't find room in the set for Rikki Don't Lose That Number, Haitian Divorce, or FM. They played for an hour and 45 minutes then gave us a barnstorming encore of Reeling in the Years. They have a great touring band with them and Becker was rightly effusive in his praise of them.

After the gig, the taxi line at Caesar's was horrible, but we seemed to be the only ones who decided to stroll over the footbridge and pick up a cab at the Cromwell. Easy!

This post is my displacement activity before taking the long walk down to WSOP and starting the next tournament, the Solstice. 90 minute blinds and a break after every level, so I'm hoping to last a little longer today than I managed in the Seniors. Poler updates to follow.

Brian

7. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice touch in the Brasilia room for the poker. They're playing Steely Dan on rotation! If you're here and want to say hi, I'm at Table 17 with the sharp hat.

8. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sucks you left the tab open at the Bourbon Room. No open seat at the bar to play VP? Those $8 Sculpins add up. I'd rather play VP ~ slowly. ;)

Good luck tonight!

9. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip report so far. Thanks for the updates.

All I saw in that Walgreens pic was the blonde at the other register wondering if she was a hooker.

10. calway55

calway55 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would love to see Steely Dan. Listening to my playlist on my phone as I type this and Aja just came on.

11. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, we got Aja last night. And the blond at the other register was simply dressed in what appears to be standard EDC attire.

In poker news, up to 16000 in chips from a 7500 starting stack with 5 minutes left in level 2. 90 minute levels are LONG.

12. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not a poker player but do like hearing your poker talk. Good luck sir.

13. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Poker is now not going at all well. All the way down to 2500 in chips so trying to be patient and wait for a hand.

It's 40 minutes to he dinner break so hoping to survive that long, at least. We've decided to get out of Rio as soon as the break starts and try to get a table across at Ping Pang Pong. Love the food there.

14. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In some improved poker news, I've worked my stack back up to over 13,000. Barring accidents, I'm now reasonably confident of lasting till dinner break.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to hear!

16. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats!! How is your wife doing?

Currently, I am at the Cromwell. I saw some of the EDC crowd this morning while walking around. Holy crap, the girls are almost wearing nothing.

17. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That should have been a thread all its own. Why you holding back?

18. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In a world first, both my wife and I have survived until the Day 1 dinner break in the same tournament. Woo-hoo!

A rapid walk over to Ping Pang Pong, where we've ordered Kung Pao Chicken, and a combination Chinese BBQ platter of duck and pork belly.

Image1466475615.712307.jpg

This is the Kung Pao chicken.

19. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife has a chip stack just over 20k so she's doing better than me.

And I admit that it was remiss of me not to get more photo evidence of the EDC crowd in Vegas, but it was just how out of place it looked in Walgreens that struck me.

20. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoying this report so far. I'm not into poker, but it's interesting to read about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.