1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Worth a host?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Ranger14, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranger14

Ranger14 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was wondering if it's worth taking an offer to get a host? My wife and I will be going to vegas in Nov. and we have two offers. One from Caesers for three nights in the octavius tower $100 free play and $50 food credit. This is a marketing offer. We also have three nights at the Mirage offered by a host and he would look at my play for back end comps. We're leaning towards Caesers, but were wondering if the Mirage offer may be better depending on what the host can do. I've never used a host before and was wondering what he can do for us. Could the Mirage offer end up being better, or should I ask the host to at least match the Caesers offer? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you plan on playing, stay at mirage. If you dont think you are going to play, stay at caesars under the corp offer. Octavious tower is nicer than any mirage regular room and your action will not be looked at by a host if you dont have one at caesars unless you ask to be evaluated towards more comps.

3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A host can be valuable, but I've seen anecdotally on this board and elsewhere that the promise of looking at play for back-end comps by MGM hosts can be hollow.

What seems to be happening there is that they will typically require you to use all of your Express Comps first before comping off more. It really should be the other way around.

If you're a larger player, then a host is more likely to comp things off without using Express Comps. From the description of the offers you got, I'm just guessing you're at a level where you might not get the benefit of the doubt at Mirage.

If the Mirage offer is for a standard room, then objectively, the Caesars offer is better. The Caesars room is better, and you have freeplay and food credit thrown in. That's a bird in the hand.

If you got an offer from a host at Mirage, then you already have a host at Mirage. Not staying there on your next trip shouldn't change that.

I would assess the two properties based on your own preferences and then decide where to stay.

4. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Sometimes a host has the discretion to give you a little more than you'd receive from a straight marketing offer, but hosts have less and less discretion these days, and they aren't always around when you need them.

If you had played enough at Mirage to receive extras at the end, the same amount of play at Caesars may get you bumped up a level on the next marketing offer. They use numerous gradations. Take the bird in hand.

5. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Mirage is very tight on back end offers. I had two nights, played 15 hours at $140, and I got my two nights plus $100 in food credit. At the end, they gave me a limo ride to the airport, but nothing else off my bill. My nights were in a low end suite one night and a tower deluxe the other.

Your mileage may vary, but this was in April, and I'm not new at working with a host.

6. Ranger14

Ranger14 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's best to go with Caesars especially if they have the nicer room. I didnt realize that I thought they would be about the same, never stayed at Caesars before. Also probably won't get much on the back end with the host, I bet less than you Mike so I'm sure I'd get less than $100 on the back end. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.