1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wine recommendations???

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by RiddickBull, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I started drinking wine maybe 4-5 months ago, trying to develop my wine palette. I do enjoy it. However, I lack the knowledge of a good wine unlike cognac.

I've been buying wine from a nice local wine store in the range of 25-75 per bottle. However, I did buy a nice bottle of wine for 150 a few weeks ago. It was awesome. I threw the bottle away so I can't remember the name.

Any good recommendations?? I'm looking for bottles in the range of 25-200. Even suggestions out of this range would be appreciated. I'm slowing moving up in the wine game. In the near future, I will have to take a shot at some la tache.

I drink both white and red wine so any type is good.

2. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know much about wine, but I do know when it tastes good.

I was at a promo event at the Nugget about a year ago and they gave me a bottle of Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 - a little less than $100 a bottle. Well, it was amazing. I didn't know it was expensive when I opened it but I knew I liked it - it had like 3 or 4 times the flavor complexity of the usual crap I drink.

Give it a go!

3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My weekday wine is Thunderbird. But when I'm looking to splurge a little, I go with Night Train.

Sorry, RB. Couldn't resist. But I do look forward to following this thread to get some ideas for myself.

4. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol carve I had to Google that shit. As always, I enjoy your comments. That stuff reminds me of the MD 20 20 back in the day. My favorite the blue raspberry bling bling.

I think you and I are one of the few individuals who enjoy a high gravity or old English

Thanks for the info royal. I had a bottle of silver oak with my brother when I went back home for Christmas. I'm not sure on the price or year, but it was tasty. I believe it's a cali wine

5. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got turned onto wine from Mon Ami Gabi about 10 years ago. With my meal, I asked for a light, white, sweet something or other. The server brought me a taste of Vouvray (Chenin Blanc). It was delicious! Once I got home I searched where I could find more of this. Would you believe I found some at Trader Joe's? I also like Reislings or Moscatos.

That is the extent of my wine knowledge. :cheers:

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Making recommendations often goes for naught since the vast majorities of wines have such limited reach. I have 30 or so wineries w/i three or four miles of me but few have national distribution. Yes, there are the Stag's Leaps and Silver Oaks and Jordans of good quality and bigger name that have penetration. Or we can toss out names like Petrus or what not, and you can find it.

I'm not trying to be a dick about this. But I think you see what I'm saying.

Where do you live? Are you drawn to particular varietals or regions? Mind citing some of what you already have?

(Don't get wowed in the price game. Wine name-dropping is an epidemic.)

7. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was hoping you would have input on this thread Ken. I know your a wine man.

Don't worry about sounding like a dick. Your posts brings me such great enjoyment as it speaks the truth. As you probably know, I post a lot of comments that most individuals take offense.

Im currently located in the Midwest. I was thinking about ordering stuff online which may or may not allow me to tap into a bigger selection. I'm not sure the wines you have access to are sold online.

Any suggestions would be appreciated? I know you know your shit. I'm not lured with a specific region or type. I'm willing to try everything before I evaluate. Regardless of the price, anything recommended would be appreciated

Tonight I am drinking the following :

Dehesa de los Canonigos Ribera del Duero

Domaine de la Pinte Arbois Savagnin

I usually buy a white and red wine. I have no clue what they are. I generally just go in and pick a few

8. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buy an aerator. I use a Venturi. The aerator will bring out the flavor and make it a bit more detectable on the palate. You will be able to begin to develop a taste for the subtle hints of this or that.

cheer!

9. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very interesting. It's like when you they bring out the wine when you order a glass from.a steak house, it comes in a glass when they pour to airate it( word??)

I will have to get one of those things. Thanks for the info

10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Thanks, RB. I appreciate that.

You're going to want to get to know cjlangston here, who is a wine merchant up north.

I'll put together some thoughts on my region here along the central coast. If you have a good wine shop they can help you source stuff. I might also suggest joining a handful of winery wine clubs drawn from different regions. You'll be doing this blind of course, unless you're planning some road trips, and taking the word of folks here or elsewhere. But I think that would be better than one of the don't-know-what-you'll-get, wines-from-anywhere wine "clubs" under the aegis of the WSJ or Sunset or whomever. Do that for a year then rotate to x number of other memberships in totally different regions or from different houses in those regions. For instance, maybe take Zins from Ridge or Pinot Noir from a vintner/winemaker in Oregon's Dundee Hills, a Cab house in Sonoma ... whatever. We're heading out now for dinner -- ironically, with a few local winemakers and other friends -- but I'll give you some thoughts soon on my neck of the woods. (Sta. Rita Hills/Ballard Canyon/Santa Ynez Valley/Foxen Canyon/Los Alamos/Solomon Hills/Santa Maria/Happy Canyon in west-central and northern Santa Barbara County.

11. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm new to both of these reds and loved them. Jordan and silver oak Napa valley 2010 (better to me than Jordan). From what I saw on the menu list, silver oak has something other than Napa.

12. Riders

Riders High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you will find some great advice and have already been given some. I will give you my 2 cents. Grew up in central CA (even went to high school with some of the Gallo's) but spent a fair amount of time in Nor Cal. Have some friends in the business and even a couple own wineries. The best advice I have ever been given by those in the know, "is drink what taste best to you" as everyone's taste is different ... and you will have to drink a lot to figure that out (most of the fun in it). It is pretty easy for most people to recommend a $100 bottle of wine that most people will really enjoy, however it is harder to find a good bottle under $20 but they are out there and I love looking for them. As Ken2V noted, some may not be available due to distribution. As for CA wines, most everyone has heard of Napa and most wines from that region of CA are pretty good but there are many good wines coming out of other areas, Paso Robles and El Dorado Hills to note a couple.

Anyway, take all the recommendations you can get but, for me, the fun and enjoyment is just trying to find that one winery that is making great wine before everyone else does. Enjoy the adventure and welcome to the addiction. :)

13. Riders

Riders High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sliver Oak has a Napa and Alexander Valley wines. They tend to charge more for the Napa but depending on the vintage the AV can be just as good. Both are in the "wine country" of norcal. AV is in the Sonoma area just northwest of Napa Valley.

14. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thnx, Alexander was the other one and you are right, Napa was a little bit more.

15. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we are in Vegas on a F&B, we often try something a bit better - read expensive.

But, when we go back home, we find this is just fine.

16. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually sell this in my place lol.

17. cjlangston

cjlangston Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    asking for reccos from a group of consumers is going to get you a wide range of possibilities. Buying in the blind via internet is no better unless you have deep pockets a plenty of time to experiment.

My suggestion: find a local wine merchant and chat him up. Ask for a few reccos and try them out. Then, try some more. Keep a record. Build the relationship. When you find a few varietals / producers / appellations you identify as enjoyable reach out and buy them direct if you can.

The merchant relationship is the key...the deeper it becomes, the more "good stuff" the merchant is likely to show you. It can take years of expression to figure out what you like...or it can take 5 minutes. Don't try to crowd-source this. Purchase, drink, evaluate, repeat. Alternately, if you can travel, then come visit wine country in California and taste before you purchase. Go to other countries and learn from the source. As with all things produced in this world, getting to the source of the production cuts out most of the bullshit.

Trust you own instincts and what you enjoy. Don't be swayed by critics scores or friends reccos. Listen to your palate. It's a journey and a damn pleasurable one too. Enjoy the ride....

18. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the best idea being a Vegas person is to go down to M Resorts and go to Hostile Grape where they have 160 wines by the glass and dig in.....there are probably other places in Vegas with the same machine that has by the glass in large quantities so try others as well......160 is a ton of wines by the glass, but hardly scratches the surface

and look at some of the Del Dotto wines as well and start at the lower end and if you like them they give a hell of a tour I am told if you ever make it to Napa

19. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

A few suggestions to add to what has already been said:

1) Wine is food. Always try a new wine both with and without food. Even try some heavy reds with chocolate if you like chocolate.

2) Red wines in particular change, often for the good, after the bottle has been open for a while. You can artificially accelerate this change with a Venturi device, as has been mentioned, or just take your time with a wine. Try it right away, then again after the bottle has been open for one hour, two hours, or even put the cork back in and try it the next day.

3) Wines taste best to different people at different temperatures. If a white seems to lack flavor to you, try it again when it has warmed up just a little. Even some reds are better a little cooler than room temperature.

4) Some kind of record-keeping can help make more sense out of your wine travels and steer you where you want to go. Doesn't need to be anything formal.

5) I second the opinion that a good local merchant can be very helpful. If you buy often, that person can even gain a grasp of your likes and dislikes. I have used the same guy for a while. A few years back, when I mentioned to him that we were finally going to visit Napa/Sonoma, he arranged several tastings for my group. It was an unforgettable experience.

20. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Room temperature when referencing reds is misleading. The "room" temperature actually references the temperature of a cellar, which obviously is much lower than a 72 degree average room temperature. 58-64 degrees is the proper temp range for your average cab, pinot noir, merlot etc.

Nick:beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.