1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Windows Easy transfer program?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Apr 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ordered a new desktop and was planning on using the Windows Easy Transfer program to migrate, but I'm wondering if I need two monitors to do that? I just ordered the desktop and it comes with a keyboard and mouse, no monitor.

My other option might be to just use the recover disk and install my latest Acronis backup, that includes a disk/partition backup. I could do a full restore, but the current system is Win 32 and the new box is Win 64. Is that a problem?

Both boxes will be Win 7.

Christmas
  2. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have a few options. If you plan on using a network cable to connect them, you'd need some way to see on both computers. You could always switch the monitor back and forth but might be a pain. I ended up using an external hard drive so it copys from the old onto that, then you plug it into the new one and run the program again to pull all the data off.

As long as they're both on win 7, I don't think you'll have a problem. From what I remember, it asks you to select 32 or 64 when you run it.

The problem I ran into was going from windows xp to windows 8. No dice with that program. I ended up using a combination of Acronis and Norton 360 backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.