1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Windows 10 - Any War Stories?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that it has been out a while, what are the pros, cons and screaming shit fits?

2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I installed it on my laptop a couple months ago and for some reason it would not get along with my video card. This is probably AMD's fault much more so than Microsoft's, but my video card would crash constantly, with a blue screen and auto-restart. I wound up going back to Windows 8.1 and it's pretty much fine now; I still get the occasional crash with certain games, which isn't particularly shocking, but with Windows 10 it was happening multiple times a day.

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Installed over wondows 7 laptop.

Right away got black screen at login. Had to use my other computer for a work around. got logged in, screen froze multiple times, would not connect to internet. overall useless it was so slow.

reverted back to 7.

figured it might be my comuter so not saying dont install it. lots of people like it but for my machine it was too overwhelming. Will wait until this laptop dies and then get a factory installed version with next machine.

4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no issues thusfar; freshly installed on a new home-built desktop and an upgrade for a 5 yr old Sony VAIO

5. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to do my work computer tomorrow and my home computer if that goes OK. I'll keep you posted.

6. veovis23

veovis23 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had a almost 5 y/o laptop with Win7 on it. Wife bought me a new one for my bday a few weeks ago and it came with Win10. So far I am perfectly happy with it. The only issue was wifi dropping but that was my router/modem being a bitch, not the laptop. haven't done anything but watch movies and browse internet on it yet, so no heavy lifting so far, though I may put StarCraft2 on it now that all 3 parts are out.

7. garlock

garlock Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I installed it on my HP desk top, my grandson said he tried it & his computer crashed several times, I told him I had no problems! Then with in a week my computer crashed! I had to call HP to get it restarted, HP removed it & reinstalled 8.1 now all is fine, the man at HP said he would wait 3 months or so before he'd install it so maybe down the road it will be all right!

8. WDMJB

WDMJB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I installed it on my work laptop upgrading from Windows 8.1. It immediately crashed. I couldn't log in and lost everything. Good thin I back up religiously!

Our annual Holiday celebration!
  9. hotreds

hotreds VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was told NOT to install on laptop, ok on desktop.

A/C in December!?
    Will give them a try!
  10. BreakEven

BreakEven Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So basically the summary is that you can have a lot of different experiences :) But it's ALWAYS a good idea to make a backup of critical data first.

There are billions of possible configurations of hardware/drivers/software. Some may not work properly. Where there are known issues that would cause problems during the upgrade process, the things will be uninstalled during the upgrade process or you'll get a message during the process that it's blocked (with additional details on what you need to do).

As far as screaming shit fits, you might want to take a peek at the Windows Forum http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10?tab=Threads&auth=1. As with most technical forums, you're not going to see a ton of positive threads. It's a place where people discuss their problems. Tons of fixes from Microsoft and other partners have been released since it first dropped, and some of those threads reference pre-release versions of the product.

Good luck!

Full disclosure: I work on the Windows team @ Microsoft.

Only 2nd trip for year :(
  11. WhskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhskeyTangoFoxtrot MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Recently bought a new laptop with it installed.
    No problems whatsoever.

12. JoJoR

JoJoR High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I currently have it installed on a Dell Desktop (a good 4 or 5 years old), my Surface Pro 2, and a virtual machine on my Macbook Pro. Working well, no issues thus far.

13. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Thanks for the timely query. I was just getting ready to ask the same question.

Since I am responsible for 4 computers by three different makers, and two of the machines are laptops, I think I'll wait a few more months. In the meantime, please keep posting, everybody.

14. BreakEven

BreakEven Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd encourage you to go to the support websites for the companies that made those PC's and see what they say about the systems being ready for Windows 10. Toshiba and Dell have definitely posted info, I haven't looked for any others.

Only 2nd trip for year :(
  15. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After the replies, it looks like waiting for a new laptop with Windows10 preinstalled is the best bet.

16. lithium78

lithium78 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a four year old laptop running windows 7 and I have no intention of upgrading it. I can only imagine the devastation that would create.

17. crapsguy5000

crapsguy5000 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know this is off subject but last year I installed Linux Mint and am very happy with it. I went from Windows to Linux Mint so for me it was just as user friendly. Linux is more stable than Windows, more secure, and best of all it is free.

18. DRPinVA

DRPinVA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I installed it on my 4+ year old Lenovo Thinkpad laptop about 3 weeks ago. I had no issues with the install, and no issues with any of my apps since. Last week I called it good and went ahead and deleted the old Windows 7 files, to free up some space. Only thing I didn't really care for was the changes to the 'Start' button/menu, so I installed an app that provides you with the 'classic start buttons. Easy peasy for me.

19. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Support websites...check. One of the laps is a Lenovo, so that's good to hear as well. Thanks to both of you.

20. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was a train wreck. Completely screwed up my computer.. WILL NOT go back to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.