1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Window replacement

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by bigdogmom, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone had windows replaced in their home? If so, what material were the frames and what manufacturer? Were/are you happy with the product?

My house was built in 1986 and most of the windows are the original aluminum framed ones and desperately need to be replaced. I had three upstairs windows plus the patio door replaced 17 years ago (when I was married and had more money, LOL); they're Andersen vinyl-clad wood. Andersen doesn't make that particular product any more. They do make replacement windows out of some composite material called "Fibrex". I'm sure they're good but probably expensive. One company I contacted likes replacement windows by Marvin; another pricey choice.

2. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

Don't know the specific answer to your question but I can tell you that we've had the Anderson vinyl clad /wood that you mentioned and we've had them for over 25 years-no problems. Just based on that alone, I would recommend the Anderson. They make a good product (expensive but worth it in the long run).

3. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good topic. Anyone have any history with the new vinyl windows? The frames are vinyl instead of wood, and they are still double paned so they seal well. Need to replace a huge picture window that has settled and has gaps now. Not looking forward to what that will cost :cry:

4. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in my single days, when I was rich, I had 4 houses all built in the 2nd half of the 1800's. There was no insulation, no ice belts, clunkers for oil burners and 60 amp service and single pane windows with weights. I developed a system of replacing broken glass and covering missing windows and blocking other air entries into the house, weather stripping doors, and plugging holes wherever I could find one. First project was insulating the walls and attics. Storm windows were next on the first 4 houses. Depending on the unit, I replaced boilers with high efficiency boilers with a computer controlling boiler temp financed to be paid by anticipated savings per month. I then learned that most tenants were smart enough to open both windows when they were hot but not quite smart enough to close both when they got cold. I decided that double pane replacement windows were a better choice. My fifth house was similar to the others but it was on main street, empty and glass missing in the single pane windows. I got permission to cover the windows when I put the house under agreement and as soon as we closed I replaced all the missing glass. I had double pane replacement windows installed in the downstairs. The brand might have been Woodstock. I watched the guy install the windows. He sold his business to Portland Glass ( Portland Maine) . They built a factory around the time of the energy crisis and their windows were far superior to the firsts one, and I got to know the manager pretty well, and got a great deal on the windows. He measured, ordered and delivered them. I did the installation myself. I could remove the old window, remove the weights, shove pink insullation in as much of the channel as possible, install the new window, caulk and replace trim and caulk in 30 45 minutes each depending on size. I preferred to do it myself spending more time to insulate as much as I coule and caulk EVERYWHERE. A high efficiency isn't all that great if the air goes right around it! The windows were about 33:x79" on the 1st floor. These windows are still in good shape and have held up well, tilt in for cleaning. I had a friend do one of the houses, I did the others. I bought a lot of windows in these 20+ room old houses and was able to get some good prices from window guys....better quality and price than the box stores.

Anderson have a great reputation, Marvin are good too and a bit cheaper I believe and Harvey is another good name. Perhaps there are some contractors here who can share their expertise. Installation is important and you may want to contact a company that specializes in insulation; they often get into windows and doors as well.

Jimbo338

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

We did a total re-do on our last place. Probably 20 -- o, xo, xox; clear, frosted and patterned -- and two French doors (one with side lights), and few were standard. Milgard. Dual, of course. Vinyl.

Like any other consumer product, pretty much every manu has lines that run the gamut from serviceable to great to you-spent-how-much-and-why?, so talk to your contractor and do some independent research.

Don't not buy into that argon/whatever gas B.S. some will try to sell you on.

We thought they were great, then we freakin' moved. lol

6. tizzy

tizzy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny you mentioned replacement windows! My family owns a window and siding company and we sell Alside brand windows. They are all vinyl windows. A bunch of different options in colors and glass packages. Great product, lifetime warranty as long as you own the home and lifetime glass replacement warranty against things like a bb gun or weed eater or baseball goes through it. Unlike the previous poster said Argon gas has been proven to help with your utility bills I can not say by how much because there are to many factors about your house to consider but it has been proven to help and you will be hard pressed to not find a manufacturer that will not have Argon or Krypton gas in between the glass panes. Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you. We have been selling and installing windows for 30 years.

7. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oooo, thanks Tizzy! I'll look into Alside windows. Where is your family's business?

I live in Colorado where we routinely get below zero weather in the winter and I know the gas-filled windows are recommended. Ken lives in California, where the argon/krypton is probably not nearly as important. :wink

8. ken2v

Hey, I don't have a dog in this fight, just reporting on our research and findings. Argon adds about a half a tick in R rating. You can consult with your local utility as to how long it will take to balance out the added cost (if you have a choice) with the relative improvement in insulation. Both our gas and electric utilities said don't bother. Consumer Reports counsels the same. Low-e was more critical.

Maybe it's regional.

9. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we've replaced 2 sets of 2x double hung windows and also added a 3x double hung window in the kitchen. we went with low-end vinyl windows, but got the top of the line Low-E glass with Argon. the difference between these and the old single pane wood windows is huge in the winter and summer in terms of insulation. you used to be able to walk up to the window and just feel the cold or warm and now nothing. also, the sound insulation difference is huge. we're not that close to our street, but we still used to be able to hear people talking walking by the house out on the street at night and it sounded crisp and clear like they were in the house. now it's much more muted and not nearly as annoying.

we just checked with Lowe's and HD and went with the one that was cheaper. for one set one was cheaper and for the other set the other was cheaper. just depends on the exact sizes and everything. so always good to check both. I replaced them myself with the help of a handyman, so I have no idea about 'window replacement' companies.

10. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And I appreciate your input, Ken.

Actually, I saw the same Consumer Reports article. I also got some great info from a website called efficientwindowscollaborative.com. They compared 6 different types of windows in Colorado weather and showed annual energy use. All the windows they compared with low-E coating also had argon gas. I do see that the one window with non-metal frame and without low-E and argon had about the same heating cost as the ones with low-E and argon, although more cooling cost. That's not an issue here as I don't have A/C.

Too many products and options!! Don't know how I'll ever make a decision...

11. tizzy

tizzy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our business is in West Texas. Are temperature swings are crazy here one night it's below freezing then the next day it's almost 100 degrees. So I think its pretty standard for the Argon gas to be in all our windows as well as Low E coating, i have never had anybody request otherwise. Sorry didn't mean get on anybody's bad side here, sorry ken. Bigdogmom you can PM me if you have any other questions or if you want our website, it has some links on it available.

12. ken2v

Ain't no bad sides here.

Well, some will take you to task for taking kids to Vegas, but that's about it. lol

13. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As luck would have it, I noticed this thread today. We're getting windows delivered tomorrow and installed next week. I'm not sure of the brand, my Lady handled most of it. We are getting 5 average-sized windows, two large windows, and a sliding door. I think with removal, disposal, supplies, installation, and replacing the trim will run about $4,000. Down from $5500 from Lowe's, who provides a contractor, not a Lowe's employee.

14. wizard950

wizard950 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just downsized and moved into a smaller home. The existing windows were builders choice and junk. Totally shot after 12 years. We are replacing them with Simonton Reflections Series 5300 all vinyl windows with Low E glass and Argon gas. The project is a total of 3 large double wide and 3 tall double hung windows. For those doing cost comparisons the windows were $2,400 and installation another $1,000 from a local contractor. We'll see how they go through the upcoming summer and next winter.

15. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, this is a HUGE help, as I now have some ballpark idea of cost (at least for vinyl windows). I have three double-wide windows and three standard size windows to do.

16. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    these prices don't seem bad at all, considering the amount of windows and labor involved

17. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anlin is what I have, google it, check the ratings. I replaced them about 12 yrs ago, no problems so far.

18. Drambler

Drambler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife called Andersen windows for a quote. They called the day before and saying they just want to confirm that both her and I would be there for our appointment. She tells them no, it would only be her since I had to work. The guy says unless you are both there he wouldn't come out.

So Andersen is not on the list anymore. I guess they wanted us both there to give us the hard sell and have us sign immediately?

19. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting, drambler, as I had one company ask if anyone else would be there as well (but it wasn't Andersen). I told them that in all likelihood my significant other would be there, but that I am the homeowner and will be the one making the decision. I am having 3 or 4 companies come out. And I HATE pressure sales, so if any of them do that, they'll immediately lose my business.

20. bu$hman

bu$hman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just out of curiosity, was this Andersen, or was it Renewal By Andersen? I am not happy with the way RBA practices. High pressure, sign with me tonight-style. I could relay my story, but it would take too long.

Bottom line, what should the cost-per-window be for a replacement, if we go with a middle-to-high end window?

Last edited: May 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.