1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wicked!

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by paramont, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paramont

paramont Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So excited - we just bought our tickets for Wicked. :woohoo: We had already booked our trip and hadn't seen anything on-strip we wanted to see which we haven't already seen. Then I thought to check out the new Smith Center of the Performing Arts - so glad we did. A lot of the best seats are already gone, so if you are thinking of going, book soon!

Attached Files:

2. brownies95

brownies95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw Wicked last year at Shea's in Buffalo. What a great show!!

Tim:peace:

3. GREGRIO

GREGRIO Tourist

I sure hope it's a great Show...I've been planning this visit for
    a long time! lol...I have tics for Sept. 11th and 13th.
    (when do you guys go 'paramount')

If you're not familiar with WICKED.....www.wickedthemusical.com has lots of fun
    things to look at...I've never seen it and wanted lots of info before showtime.
    It played here in San Francisco for a long time, but knowing it was coming to Las Vegas
    and The Smith Center..............well, no brainer, I wanted to see it there.
    The only negative comment I heard about the Show is...the lack of 'stick in your head'
    music. The music is good, but you didn't walk away hummmmming anything (any comments...)
    (think 'Music Of The Night', 'Mamma Mia', etc.)

WICKED will top out my visits to Smith Center (i think...) for the year.
    Their next season has been on sale for a couple months now, but nothing
    has caught my eye as much as last seasons openers did....Pink Floyd Experience,
    Color Purple, Million Dollar Quartet, Memphis and the kick off to next season, WICKED!

www.thesmithcenter.com

The Smith Center is such a GREAT change from the Strip, the gaming, the noise...
    It's the community of Las Vegas' Performing Arts Center and it's a gem, it's classy,
    folks dress up, LOL!...it's LOTS OF FUN.

From the RIO where I stay, it's aprox. $20. each way via I-15 to the Charleston exit and
    the (well marked) signage to the Smith Center.
    Cab availability after the Shows is hit 'n miss. Some nights they've been waiting, other
    nights we wait. Smith Center calls 'em, but they're still hesitant to show up due to the
    lack of communication as to how many cabs are needed. Some drivers show up and the
    fares are all gone (they don't come back...)
    The longest I've waited after a show was around 30min. (and i was not alone...)
    You always get one though.

It's such a wonderful venue...2 in fact. Reynolds Hall where the big Shows are and the
    smaller Bowman Hall across the patio area where you'll find Cabaret Jazz! The is where
    Clint Holmes, Branford Marsalis, etc. perform.

4. bryinmi

bryinmi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gregrio...it is correct about the lack of stick in your head music. I don't really care for musicals at all but for whatever reason I really dig Phantom of the Opera. Seen it 3 times including Vegas twice.

In April my wife and I went and saw Wicked in Detroit. It definitely doesn't compare to Phantom and I couldn't hum one of the songs for you right now if you offered me 100 grand. The show wasn't bad or anything...in fact it has a lot of humor (I wasn't expecting that) but I'd give it a B-/C+. I think I wanted it to be a darker tale than it was. Maybe I'd check it out again in Vegas just because it's Vegas.

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not at all true for me. Wicked has one of my favorite cast albums of the past decade. It, Rent, Evita, and Hairspray are on random in my car cd player at the moment. Great fun - and occasionally a little jarring with some of the odd juxtapositions:confused2:

I liked Phantom and Les Miserables when I saw them originally in the 80s but they haven't stuck with me. Not like Evita, which I saw when I was 7 (Patti Lupone! Mandy Patinkin!) and have been singing ever since:ssst:

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1
    Just saw it in NY and was a little disappointed, thought many of the tunes sounded somewhat similar. That said, the Gershwin theater was almost sold out and there are plenty of touring shows, it will be one of the top grossing shows for the books. A good story and great lighting though.

7. GREGRIO

GREGRIO Tourist

Well, DON'T CRY FOR ME LAS VEGAS, I'm sure I'll enjoy WICKED and just maybe...
    I'll come away with a tune in my head. THANKS HoyaHeel for the positive note...really.
    I was half way expecting you to say you fell asleep at WICKED.

8. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No no - Broadway musicals are my favorite kind of entertainment!!! I need a plot and good (or even bad) music I can sing along with - that's what gets me going. Aerobatics and synth music for 2 hours (aka CDS) not so much:peace:

Right now I'm trying to figure out how I can get tickets to Book of Mormon without selling a kidney. I'll probably try the day-of lottery when we visit NYC - I'm not willing to pay $700 ($350 each) for the only available tickets the week we're in town......

9. GREGRIO

GREGRIO Tourist

Ya know it's one of the rumored Shows to be coming to Vegas...
    might be a little cheaper.
    Rumor is, it might go into the PLAZZO either as a solo Show or
    rotate with another.
    The VENETIAN is going to have some big anouncement on Tuesday,
    Aug. 7th...probably in re to what Show(s) are coming in to their
    neck of the woods...I'd really like to see Book Of Mormon too!

10. john meriman

john meriman merri by name merry by nature

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wicked wicked

we saw earlier this year in london-we thought it was very slow and boring.
    for the very first time in 40 years of shows we never went back after the interval.the lure of a couple of pints of beer was a lot more attractive than sitting through another dose of wicked. will the smith centre production of wicked be the vegas shortened version? (which i think could work better) or the broadway/london-interval version.
    i hope you enjoy it more than my wife and i did.:wink2::beer::beer::beer:

11. Pinny Long

Pinny Long High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't like musicals but I thought WICKED was great (saw it in LA about 4 years ago).

There's only one song that stuck in my head ("Popular") but I don't consider that a downside. I hate songs that stick in my head.

The sets are awesome and there is a great combination of action and comedy. All this coming from a guy who doesn't like plays or musicals and couldn't give a crap about Wizard of Oz either.

I DEFINITELY loved it a million times more than Cirque De Soleil ("Mystere").

12. vegasbound

vegasbound Moderator

Have you checked Stubhub and similar sites? That's how we managed to get tickets opening week, I booked via ticketliquidators.com.

I'm excited for Wicked too. I have tickets for the Sept 26 show.

13. beckers

beckers Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Way excited to have tickets in hand.....Sept. 15th thanks to Greg letting me know us old ladies shouldn't be afraid to venture there:peace:

14. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't seen anything for November, and what is out for the next few weeks is still over $250. I can see 2 or 3 other broadway & off-Broadway shows for the same price, so.....

15. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about single seats? I ended up getting tickets at a local department store Ticketmaster. I find ticketmaster's online site to be very frustrating when trying to see what is available.

16. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was actually trying straight through the box office, not ticketmaster. But it's a good idea to try two single seats. Risky, though, since you can't buy in tandem.....

A couple other shows I want to see in NYC are supposed to end soon, but I'm hoping for extensions. And I don't really know what new things might be starting in the fall (they're starting to be announced in the Playbill e-newsletters though....) So I'm not stressing about it. Loving all the suggestions though - sorry to get off-track from the OP though:eek:

17. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm Hooked!

I saw Young Frankenstein in NY in 2008 and once Off Broadway in Orlando.
    I saw Wicked in London in 2009 didn't think I'd enjoy it but it was really good.
    I'd like to go back to NY one of these days to see Spiderman.

I think Young Frankenstein would be a great show for Vegas.

18. GREGRIO

GREGRIO Tourist

The great thing about The Smith Center for the Performing Arts is
    all the Broadway musicals are their full length versions.
    It was only when the properties on the Strip tried 'em they'd cut
    them to 90min. or so. You'll see the full real deal at Smith Center.

19. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, or their touring versions. Sometimes that's different than the Broadway set up:peace: (which in turn can be different from the West End version, if a show originated in London.....We just need to see them all to compare, right?)

20. yOyOYoo

yOyOYoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the Smith Center Online the best place to purchase Wicked tickets? Or are they sold somewhere else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.