1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Why the dogleg in S. Las Vegas Blvd.?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by ardee, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When the area was developed there wasn't squat anywhere around, so why does South Las Vegas Blvd. have the dogleg in it? Did the surveyors suddenly discover they were off by a mile or so?

2. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you look at the map from above you can see that downtown was laid out parallel to the railroad, but at an angle to the survey grid

LVB runs out of downtown for a ways parallel to the railroad (and with the layout that it leaves downtown) and then when it turns it does so to line up with the original sectional survey grid of one square mile sections that were standard for much of the USA especially the western USA

3. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Makes sense. I knew somebody here would have the obvious answer I missed. Thank you.

So....it's the fault of the railroad. Who was in charge, Hedly Lamarr? :D

4. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    probably worse than Headly

the railroads often ran on the path of least resistance and sometimes they tried to go from "place" to "place" and those places were not located at grid points they were located at springs, mountain passes, fertile lands ect that had been settled before the railroad came along......so the railroad is not following the grid and it is looking to take the path of least geographic "resistance" from place to place that it wants to connect that is why you sometimes see railroad tracks making strange twist and turns because it was easier to follow a low spot or a river bottom or a smooth stretch while building the tracks than to go up and down up and down even with small hills and valleys (easier to run the train as well especially old timey trains)

so the tracks came to Vegas at an angle to the grid and downtown was built parallel to that angle

as the tracks leave what is now downtown they make a slight curve towards the east just after where the dogleg in LVB is......if you look you can see as LVB follows those tracks there is an equal spacing between LVB and the tracks which makes it easier to plot the land and title it and survey it......when they knew the tracks were curving back east and eventually LVB and the tracks would cross if LVB kept going the same way and also the plots of land would become uneven the decision was made to curve LVB to go ahead and have it follow the grid from there

LVB looks to actually be the road that would be in the middle of a section dividing it in half VS being one of the roads that is the edge of a section.....the freeway looks to be the edge of that particular section

a section being one mile square, 640 acres and then divided up into quarter sections of 160 acres each then divided further into smaller parcels

if you have ever seen a land title it will have plot X of north west quarter of the south west quarter of section XYZ (something like that) usually down to 10 acre pieces with 40 pieces per row and four rows per quarter section and the numbers are the same it is the north west, north east, south west, south east description and the plot number that lets you know what 10 acres is yours in the whole section and then the section fits into the whole grid for the USA

so looking at the Vegas map from above the Tropicana sits on what looks to be the entire north west quarter of the north east quarter section of the total section that is bounded by the freeway to the west, Tropicana Ave, to the north, Russell to the south, and Koval to the east

Excalibur looks to take up the entire north east and north west quarters of the north west quarter section of that same total section

Luxor takes up the entire south east and south west quarters of the north west quarter section of that total section

Mandalay Bay takes up the entire south west quarter section of that total section

so the Trop is on about 40 acres, Excalibur and Luxor are on 80 acres and Mandalay Bay is on 160 acres

hope this did not beat you down too bad haha :peace: :evillaugh :vomit:

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great post Someone! More info in there than all my 700 put together... THANKS!

6. tapakip

tapakip Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you've ever been to Boston and tried to drive around, you'll never complain about how Vegas is laid out again. I've lived here all my life and still can't get around as easily as I do in Vegas, and that was after only spending around 6 trips (maybe 20 days) there!

Grid system FTW.

7. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to own farmland in Kansas, so I am well aware of sections and such. :)

Very informative post. I sorta suspected as much, but it's nice to have my drunken suspicions confirmed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.