1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Why so much hate for buffets around here?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by lithium78, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lithium78

lithium78 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I keep reading anti-buffet comments throughout this message board and I just don't get it. We just got back from visiting Caesars AC this past weekend and we thoroughly enjoyed gorging ourselves on the Palace Court Buffet. We must have eaten about 5000 calories in one sitting and then we sat in a satiated stupor at the slots for the next few hours. We're planning on getting Buffet of Buffets passes when we go to Vegas in July and eat buffets for 24 hours straight including at least one visit to the Bacchanal since we're staying at CP.

So, what's with all the buffet hate? Buffets give you a ton of good food to really cheap, especially when it's comped. I just don't see what's not to like about them.

2. hotreds

hotreds VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you. I noticed how many included never eating at a buffet in their "what I would NEVER do in Vegas" answers. While I wouldn't eat every meal at a buffet, I enjoy trying the many different ones in Vegas and so far have not been disappointed.

A/C in December!?
    Will give them a try!
  3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no hate for buffets. But I am one of the "no buffets" crowd.

I certainly understand the desire to try as many different things as possible. But I'll almost always trade variety for quality, service and "made-to-order" food. And as expensive as buffets have become, I think it's possible to find plenty of "normal" restaurants with superior quality and service at the same price point to almost any buffet in town.

As far as gorging oneself...I can put away food with the best of 'em and I don't think I've ever left a restaurant in Las Vegas (or really, anywhere in 'Merica:usa:) still hungry.

4. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buffets are part of the fun when going to Vegas. There's a time and place for everything. Going to fine dining establishments are also part of the fun in Vegas.

I believe when people say they "hate" buffets they are being a little too harsh. They can say they don't prefer buffets or dislike buffets, but why say hate? What the hell did the poor buffet do to them? Nobody is twisting anybody's arm and forcing them to go to a buffet.

I like and enjoy going to buffets. I also like to go to casual fine dining places. There is a time and place for everything.

I don't care for high-end fine dining. But I don't hate them.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  5. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is must my opinion, but I have noticed that "hate" coming on when the prices started going up. Everyone loved them when they were $6.99. Now as they have gotten so much more expensive people expect more. The business model hasn't really changed though, the freshness of the food obviously varies, the selection varies, you are somewhat on your own as far as service goes, etc. So I think that is the issue. We go to a smaller buffet at Horseshoe in Cinci. the service is great, the food is usually really fresh, etc. When you visit LV, the size of the buffets makes for a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong.

We usually hit one buffet per trip and always enjoy!

6. miniwhale

miniwhale Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't seen people say that they hate buffets. I am sure there are people that do. I think they are just okay. They are fine if they are comped, or a great deal. A lot of people get caught up in "huge portions". If I go to one, I like the variety and try to throw some healthy options in there. But I would prefer to not have to get my own food, I like my food fresh, and I even like the nicer restaurants with the smaller portions, where I don't feel like I need to finish a giant plate of food. I would pay for that over a buffet.

7. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have eaten at least one buffet ( sometimes more ) on every trip I have taken to Vegas. We tend to be let's eat now type of people. With a buffet you pay, sit and go get your food. No long waits for the food to arrive. That being said, I find more and more cold food when we do go. I don't do the high end buffets, they IMO are a waste of my money. I wouldn't spend that much at a normal restaurant, why should I spend that amount on a buffet? Truthfully the more expensive items are not what we go to a buffet for. I am happy with a slab of Prime Rib, veggies, potatoes and maybe something from the Asian station. For me they work out just fine. Everyone looks for different dining. For us dining is not an experience where for others it is. Different strokes is all. I do agree that certain subjects on the boards get pig piled on....often by people who never did them in the first place. Relative newbies mouthing off about "dumps" that they never stepped foot into, buffets, shows they have never seen. Everyone is a critic...we just all find our own path.

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The dislike I've been hearing WRT buffets lately usually falls along the line of poor value. I must agree that buffets are not the bargain they once were. Buffets like the new one at Caesars or Cosmopolitan are simply priced more than I would choose to spend for a buffet. For those prices, I want a nice sit-down meal.

Now I do admit I enjoy buffets, especially if there's a good selection that's prepared well. Gold Coast and Sams Town have been consistently good and reasonable in price lately. For a step up, Rio (the main buffet), Flamingo, and Paris have all been good without being outrageous in price. Alas, Rio downsized the serving area and Flamingo only does brunch.

I do admit I tend to overeat at some buffets, but hey, calories don't count in Las Vegas! :) ("Yeah, gimme some of the yella!") :)

9. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

I'd go with thecarve. I don't hate buffets, just prefer eating at other places. I'll take it one more step. Gorging at a buffet, I disgust myself. All those calories, fat, salt, and desserts I would never order normally just get to me afterwards.

Besides, you can't get a decent drink at a buffet, far as I know.

10. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the hate these days is more for the price they're charging. Alot of people would rather drop $70 (for example the Bacchanal) at a nice restaurant instead of at a buffet where you're serving yourself etc.
    If the buffets were back to $10, people wouldn't complain.
    For me, I used to enjoy gorging but I don't do that anymore so I don't get the same value I used to but then again, most of the buffets I have now are comped so I don't really care either way personally.

11. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh you have fallen behind! The buffet we have hit the last two trips is Mirage. They have a full bar with an actual bartender. We have hit it for brunch after landing and come out there seeing a little sideways after the Mimosas.

12. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ms. Gecko and I love buffets! There's always a wide selection and almost impossible not to find several items we really enjoy. Heck, if some of the same items were presented in a fancy dimly lit high-priced restaurant with a little plate art by a tuxedoed waiter, some the same folks who hate buffets would probably be raving about the food! In any case, we appreciate usually being seated immediately, not having to wait to have our order taken, waiting again for our meals to be delivered, or listening to "Hello, my name is _____ and it will be my pleasure to serve you this evening!" Fortunately, we both hate frou-frou cuisine in favor of "real food for real people," which no doubt helps.

Sure, buffet atmospheres often resemble feedlots, and prices are nowhere near the bargains they once were, but I can't remember the last time we had to pay, anyway. Other than free drinks, buffets are probably the easiest comps to get, at least from pit critters after some minimal play. Fortunately, we've learned not to pig out (too much), and sometimes don't even fool with desserts - at least nothing like what we used to do. We usually include salads and fruit and rarely have to waddle out feeling like Oompa-Loompas.

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is very true for the most part.

IIRC Rio does have a full bar in the buffet. Sams Town has the back of a service bar opening into the buffet but they often times give priority to the floor servers. My brother got in an argument with the bartender on this one time and they ended up comping a whole round of drinks for our table over it.

14. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I look forward to eating at a Buffet at least once when visiting. I prefer going to the Breakfast Buffet - early morning before the crowds show up.
    I feel the prices are on par with most Resort Restaurants I've eaten at. A typical Restaurant sit down Breakfast for 2 can run at least $50 before tip.

15. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flamingo has a good buffet? Flamingo is undoubtedly in the bottom tier of strip buffets.

Nick:beer:

16. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I typically eat at a buffet once or twice per trip, usually Wicked Spoon once and Palms Brunch once. I'm not a big fan though simply because I end up uncomfortably stuffed after. I'm not one who loads my plate so I can't even imagine what the people who just gorge feel like after. On occasion we will go to Wynn Buffet instead of Wicked Spoon. I know many like the Bacchanal Buffet, but I'm not a fan of it.

17. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like buffets, especially the variety. Where else can I eat pizza, lo mein, and a taco at the same time.

18. DavidR82

DavidR82 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use to eat at a Buffet for one meal a day on my past Vegas trips, then it started going down to just going once or twice on a 3/4 night trip. Not counting Wicked Spoon or Bellagio's, I've noticed the quality seemed to have gone down and the prices up over my 6 years of visiting Las Vegas. I'm not totally against eating at Buffets in Vegas, but I have branched out and tried other dining options. Generally, breakfast/brunch is my favorite time to get a buffet... when I wake up in Vegas, I am usually HUNGRY! Sometimes I don't want to sit down and be served but want quick access to food.

19. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

"Hate" is such silly shorthand for nothing and it is so overused these days. :thumbsup:

As for the buffet aversion: I am a glutton, and I have the waistline to prove it. I like good drink and good food, and that's just not really the forte of the buffet as conceived en masse. We tried most of the "best" over the years of excessive vegasing, and if we are going to do the buffet thing it is going to be breakfast, where it is hard to mess up on things like fruit, pastry and made-to-order omelets. Hell, come to think of it, I'd rather buffet than eat chain-institutional a la Outback and Olive Garden. Anyway, the diversity of a buffet doesn't win the day over inputs and presentation. If I want braised short ribs I'll find a bistro tomorrow and stick with northern Italian tonight.

20. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think those of you who have mentioned pricing are on the right track - if a place wants to charge me $70 then I would rather spend that on a good steak.

I am not really a seafood guy as I know some of these higher prices are usually for places with crab legs and whatnot.

However I do like Cravings at The Mirage and will go there once a trip usually for breakfast. I don't find the price to be too out of line. I don't like the fact they put in self serve drink stations though.

I have not had Wicked Spoon yet though and would like to hit it up next trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.