1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Who to see solo?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by DFdetroit, Oct 5, 2016.

1. DFdetroit

DFdetroit Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to be in town with my wife, but she's busy with a conference almost all day (and evening) each day.

I'm thinking about trying to see either Elton John or Wayne Newton. I figure I'll never see either one anywhere else and both would be a good "I've seen him live in concert" story.

Anybody want to weigh in on which is the better choice based on:
    1. Actual entertainment value
    2. "Story" value
    3. Awkwardness of being a solo 33-year old man at either show

2. 93 Octane

93 Octane Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seriously? Elton freaking John or Wayne Newton, you don't need to break this down

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Elton by far.... even though I went with my wife. I'd go solo. fabulous show
    I went solo years ago to Seigfried and Roy as my gambling buds couldn't take time off...the degens:haha:
    I also saw Shania solo... great show
    another i'd consider would be Rod Stewart as the 70's was my hayday

4. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kinda kidding,but the hey I skipped an Elton John concert and played x game for 3 hours and made a pocketful of different color chips! would make a great story also..;)

5. DFdetroit

DFdetroit Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've gotta think performance-wise, Elton's a no brainer. But there's something to be said for having a story about seeing Wayne Newton, right? Maybe he'll invite me to his house and make me pasta...

It worked for Ellen Griswold...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. 93 Octane

93 Octane Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If someone offered you a ounce of gold or an ounce of silver which would you take:popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Puppetry of the Penis. Trust me on this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK.....so this is my thinking.......Wayne is was more "Vegas" so for me that would check off one of those boxes of seeing someone that in the future would be one of those " I saw Wayne Newton in Vegas".

I guess it would be more of a Vegas story....I don't really equate Elton John with Vegas ( though from a performance perspective I am guessing it might be a better show ). I really regret not seeing EJ on the Yellow Brick Road tour back in the day in Seattle.....

The pasta is a big draw too :):):)

9. Sparky4

Sparky4 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd say see Mr. Las Vegas while you can. We took my mom a couple of years before the Stardust closed down. He can't sing all that well anymore but he's very entertaining.

10th anniversary
  10. shokhead

shokhead I'm no big spender!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd rather see somebody like Lionel Richie at PH then WN.

Here we go again!
  11. vegasdev

vegasdev Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    both could be considered living legends. Newton's voice has been gone for years, but he is "mr. las vegas". I would go see EJ. maybe on your next trip go to Casa de Shenandoah, and maybe get lucky and meet him there. I am a sucker for anything that is classic vegas, but as I have gotten older I am just not eager to shell out big money for concerts. at least not very often. I like Wayne and I respect him for being part of the fabric of vegas history, but I would not want to pay money to listen to him tell stories. I started going to vegas about 20 years ago. the Wayne Newton theater was at the Stardust, right there by the BJ tables. without entering the theater, you could hear him trying to sing. I felt bad, if not embarrassed for him.

12. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those last couple sentences made me sad..........I have had music heroes I always wanted to see and went long past their prime, it kind of felt awkward to be in the audience actually. Have done it a couple times, and besides feeling bad, the "legend" moniker hikes the ticket price wayyyyyyy over the value of the way-back factor.

I always hope they have kept going because they are still having fun and they just love their fans and vice versa, and not all those bad decisions that were so tempting when they were the up and coming stars :headbang:

Guess Donny Osmond still has it though.......we stayed at the Orleans a few years ago and he was starting a short run of his solo show there. Maybe when he was on break from his show with Marie ?

We arrived at valet same time his limo arrived and there was a serious bevy of long time fans there. I fully expected a massive volley of granny panties at any second !

Atta ' boy Donny ! :nworthy:

13. justdeb

justdeb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i did a review here (in TR's?) on my visit to Wayne Newton's show. But i'm a big fan, so i'm partial.

i enjoyed his show. it's intimate, and funny. He tells stories of days gone by. His friendships, music and family.
    he sings 3 songs but his voice has definitely seen better days. But, honestly, i overlooked it because the show is so well done.
    (and you can buy the meet and greet too. I did it, and loved it.

oh i called about the tours for Wayne's ranch. To get a personalized tour with Wayne (which includes lunch) it's only 5,000 dollars!

i'm doing the tour in November and i'm doing the platinum (solo, since hubs staying home this trip)
    i doubt he'd go anyway!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  14. vegasdev

vegasdev Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it does sound like fun. i have seen him in interviews before, he seems like a great guy.

15. ericstacey

ericstacey Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I seen Elton twice solo-I'm a guy, was in my late 30's at the time-this was for the Red Piano. He's great-twice was probably too much, but the venue is better than any arena you would see him in. He has a good sense of humor also. I've seen several shows solo in Vegas..

16. DFdetroit

DFdetroit Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I've gotta go with Elton. As much as I would like the story about Wayne Newton, I think entertainment-wise, the money's better spent on Elton John.

I might have to look into the Shenandoah tour, though. I know I heard on a podcast that it's pretty entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
  17. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of two I'd say Elton John. But! If your wife wants to see Elton than you gotta pick someone else.

Super Bowl Weekend for a Bachelor Party!
  18. JRRestoule

JRRestoule Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm actually a solo 36 year old guy contemplating Elton John or Britney Spears in a couple weeks...so don't feel bad haha

First ever New Years Eve Trip! Maroon 5...and more!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. bobby jones

bobby jones Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw Elton solo a couple years ago. Golfing buds had no interest. I hummed and hawed. In the end I went had a great time with groups on either side of me. It was my first solo show and only felt awkward for the first 30 secs before starting up conversation with couple beside me. Once show started didn't matter as everyone was into show.

20. ericstacey

ericstacey Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seems from Wayne Newton reviews he talks a lot and takes questions as well as sings..not sure I would like that or not-the good thing about Elton is no opener and he starts promptly on time..the stage and screen behind him is massive..