1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Whiskey Down @ MGM

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by thecarve, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Prior to my Labor Day trip, I hadn't been to MGM in almost a year. So, I'm not really sure how new this place is...it was new to me, at least. So, if this is old news, I apologize.

Anyway...I walked by this place last month on my way to the "good" BJ tables on the main floor. It's a kinda-sorta hip lounge/high limit gaming room. My first thought was "trying to be young and hip...that means decent booze and shitty rules". And I walked past without giving it a second thought.

Later, after having my ass handed to me at BJ and then eating a tasty steak at Craftsteak, I walked by it again on my way out. It was dead...as in three CWs and zero patrons/gamblers. So, I figured I'd walk through to check it out and see how bad the BJ rules were.

The first table I walked by was DD with $100 minimums. But to my surprise, it was the typical excellent MGM high limit, S17. So I sat down and played a while.

I played about an hour. Another guy and his (non-playing) Gf/wife joined a few minutes later. The dealers and pit boss were very personable and friendly. And with a ratio of three CWs to two gamblers, the service was as good as it gets. The only bad thing was the music (IMO). It was typical pop stuff (I recognized Bruno Mars, Katy Perry and PSY:rolleyes2:) and it was very loud.

In addition to the tables, there was plentiful lounge-type seating surrounding the gaming area and a bar in the back.

While I didn't care for the music (or the volume), I kinda liked this place. The minimums were reasonable considering the great rules, there was no high-limit pretense and (unlike the main floor at MGM) the drinks were well made, quickly delivered and served in proper cocktail glasses and not those crappy 1:2 scale "highball" glasses.

Full Disclosure: After tips, I walked away exactly even...and for that trip, even was a huge win.

2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also walked through there recently, and I was a bit surprised the area was set up like that. I'm not used to seeing tables that close to the bar usually. I think they had dollar video poker there too (and much higher options), but didn't get a chance to look at the paytables, too rich for me to get a comped drink there. :eek:

3. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is new - less than 60 days. It is the space where Tabu used to be.

4. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw the buildout being completed on the place when I last walked through there a month and a half ago. Good to hear about the BJ rules

5. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thecarve,

when I was there about a month ago, they had just opened the week prior. They are trying to replicate the Duece Lounge at Aria. They basically moved some of the BJ table games from the area in front of the HL slots, and moved it into Whiskey Down. They expanded some Pai Gow, and some lower limit ($25 / $50) tables into the old HL area.

I played there a little on a Saturday morning, as you are able to watch the college football games while playing. It was pretty crowded with people watching college football, but not many players. I think they are going to have a problem (?) with a lot of customers who are sick of the crowded sports book, and hanging out at Whiskey down milking a beer and watching the CFB games there, instead of the sports book. Maybe they don't care if the customers do that, but it makes it pretty crowded in there.

After the Mayweather fight, since all the table games in the Mansion were reserved, you had to go to Whiskey Down to play, and all the limits that night were min. $1000. Every seat at every table was taken! It was as crowded as I have ever seen it at those limits.

6. fas87

fas87 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This place sounds perfect...blackjack, tvs with sports and presumably whisk(e)y! Thanks for sharing. I think I'll try this place out on my next trip as long as the limits are 100 and not 1,000.

I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on the Deuce Lounge at Aria mentioned above. I've never heard of that place, and I'm intrigued. I don't want to threadjack and only ask here since it sounds like these places are similar.

7. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Deuce lounge at Aria and Whiskey down at MGM are almost identical. They have a great bar area, table games, and nice plush leather couches for sitting and relaxing if you just want to have a drink. Table minimums should be $50 to $200 in the off hours. $100 to $500 at night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.