1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

When/how do you decide to make your trip?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by hotreds, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotreds

hotreds VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another thread talks about this to some degree, but I'm wondering what actually makes you decide to go. Do you set a date and then look for best airline and hotel prices? do you wait for good airfare? or do you wait for a good lodging offer? So far I have picked dates and then looked for the best air/hotel prices. How many don't do it that way- waiting for "the price is right!"

A/C in December!?
    Will give them a try!
  2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    events.

3. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It varies.

Once I booked a trip because I was going to have my ankle operated on and I knew I'd be down for awhile. I also try to go out for the Super Bowl every year. Since I missed SB and MM this year I wanted to do a summer trip. I picked the third week in July because it happens that there's a convention out there that related to my job so I am able to combine that with vacation.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Our trips aren't overly planned. I'll get a call from one of the degens -- "Let's go tee it up" -- we head to Vegas. Or we get a bug and a week later are heading over. I might make an August trip under the guise of a trade show, and that would be about the most advance planning in eons.

5. BTSyndrome

BTSyndrome Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go for MM because that is when the group (10-20+ people) all go.
    It's more fun with a group of degens you know and can BS about all the craziness with after the trip until the next time.

Hotel already booked for 2016
    Waiting for SW to open up flights, will book first day available.
    (Only one direct flight a day from home airport ...flight sold out end of November for last March trip I went)

6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually some kid of event be it super bowl, birthday, running the half Marathon,etc. I like a winter/spring trip followed by a summer trip and I think I've got the gf to sign on for a fall trip as well.

7. M0rtyC

M0rtyC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used to always plan our December trip for the last Saturday of NFR. Prices were cheap and the town emptied out on Sunday.
    Now we go the first Friday so we can catch all the ncaa conferences on Saturday.

Summer trip is always on a whim with an eye one fares. They seem to get earlier to avoid summer heat

Annual end of the rodeo trip
  8. hotreds

hotreds VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting! I would have thought that SB and MM and other big events would have hotel prices sky high!

A/C in December!?
    Will give them a try!
  9. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My trips are always in February, June (birthday) and October. I pick a week in each of those months and let the flight-hotel-car rental dance begin. I throw in food and shows later.

10. lemoncakegirl83

lemoncakegirl83 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We usually go around events like birthdays. The first time I went to Vegas was a "just because" trip. I would like more of those. My next trip is for my wedding anniversary and we were looking for something different, but I got a great email offer and couldn't resist. So I booked the hotel and just hoped for the best with the flights.

11. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually when it's 3 day weekends...we won't make the 16 hour round-trip drive without either having friday or monday off.

Palace Tower Suite!
  12. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When booking solo I try to go on a Friday to Monday jaunt. I usually use the Vacations Hawaii gambling junket since all transfers and transportation is included. I also get $200 dollar vouchers from Boyd Gaming to use to pay down the cost of the junket (Vacations Hawaii is owned by Boyd). That and with my CC rewards I usually can go to Vegas first class for under $400.00 everything included. My solo trips only have one purpose: satisfy my gambling itch. The Friday to Monday is to minimize the impact of me being away from work.

When I go with my wife and others we check the pricing on the other airlines since Vacations Hawaii primarily have 4 and 5 night pkgs. and we stay longer, usually 7 to 9 days.

We are the opposite to the majority here. We try to plan our trips when there is a minimum of events happening in Vegas. But we will usually book a trip in November or December. On these trips we do other things besides gamble. We sightsee, shop, dine at nice places, and see a show or two.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  13. crussader

crussader Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest Airlines picks the dates for my trips. Whenever they run a seriously discounted fare, I book a trip. A couple of years ago, I was going every three months because SW kept offering ridiculously low fares (like $119 round trip from Houston).

14. 34cents

34cents Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wife and I try to go 3 times a year. Some events pick, others when airline prices are right and hotel offers match up. I have gone as far as writing a script to notify my of changes in flight prices for dates I set. Then I can act quickly and buy as they jump up again fast.

15. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go in the spring/early summer and fall. I wait for the offers. I just got several offers good through October so I will be booking my fall trip fairly soon.

16. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another vote for the airline fare impetus. I'm usually pissing around looking at flight costs to or from Vegas, and sometimes if I see a particularly good fare I'll book just one way and wait for something better to come for the other segment. Recently, it has been Delta Tuesday-Tuesday fares, so I'll book it when it looks good, then fit the hotels afterwards.

17. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually just pick a date when I think I'll be free, when other people will be around, and/or when the girlfriend is traveling separately (since that's always a good excuse to go), and then book unless the flights and hotels are prohibitively expensive. Fourth of July came about because my girlfriend is going on a beach vacation with a couple friends she grew up with; I hate the beach, don't want to travel with her a bunch of girls, and everything was cheap, so I pulled the trigger. The only consistent date is my annual Thanksgiving trip, which I do no matter what and will continue to do so unless I run into some truly insane pricing.

18. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No particular order; weather in Vegas, airfare & hotel prices, budget, health, ability to free up the time, etc. I always shoot for spring and fall, do my homework every time, sometimes I can pull it off and sometimes I can't. I'm still aiming for October but the odds of me being able to pull it off are slim. (We're doing work on the house right now.)

19. sonnycheeba

sonnycheeba Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually go on three paycheck months, annual bonus time, birthday, and three day weekends or gov holidays. Many times I end up there before holiday trips to ATL to save on airfare since flights to LAS are much cheaper than LAX as well. Since I ride the bus or drive I end up there 3-6 times a year.

20. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. Are there dates that I can go? - I have an 88 year old and a 13 year old at home.

2. What is my E.I. level? (E.I. = Expendable income)

3. Is there a plane flight under $200 R/T?

4. Is there a comp or promotion that I can use (there's always one, just a matter of where and how much)

If the answer to these are all positive, then I book a trip.

GGWU!!!!! My "rebate" for the years play!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.