1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

When are you required to pay when using a resort promotion?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by JoastTheMost, Feb 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoastTheMost

JoastTheMost Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So here's my deal: I originally booked 4 nights at TI and 2 nights at Cosmo.

I recently got an offer from the Cosmo for 2 comped nights if I booked Friday & Saturday nights.

It was complicated, but I was basically told I'd be booking two additional nights, receiving two comped, and keeping the two i had booked through a third party, for a total of 6 consecutive nights. They confirmed that they merged them all together so that I didn't have to switch rooms (nice!)

NOW, here's my big question, when would they typically charge my card?

I called to have them re-send the confirmation email, and I asked them the same question (because the card I gave them hadn't been charged yet), and the lady said, "Let me look... Oh wow... It looks like they did you a favor when you booked it. Your card wasn't charged when it definitely should've been...Yeah you got a huge favor."

By the sounds of it, I'm only going to have to pay the resort fee + tax for those four nights. Is this accurate? Or are they going to make me pay the room cost (along with resort fee + tax + security deposits) at check-in? I have a feeling I just got an insanely lucky break, but I don't want to falsely expect to only pay the fees when I check-in.

Any insight to my situation?

VI: Breaking Spring
  2. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From what you said and I comprehend, you have 2 comped night and 4 nights you have to pay for, right? I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking if you pay for the room at check in or check out? If you got lucky and they will give you all 6 nights free, no one can tell you that. I'd be prepared to pay for 4 of them.

3. JoastTheMost

JoastTheMost Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I already paid for the 2 via a third party, so they originally said I was comped two and was going to pay for two. I just wasn't sure what she meant by "you got a huge favor". I was hoping someone had some idea--perhaps that was silly of me to think anyone could interpret what "favor" she was referring to.

4. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They generally charge one night when making the reservation, then the rest is charged at checkout. My guess is because you already paid for the first two nights thru the 3rd party, they will charge the rest at checkout.

5. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah, gotcha. I prefer to be charged the whole trip upfront so I can pay off my credit card before I even touch down in Vegas. Others might prefer to postpone payments so not getting charged upfront is a favor to them. Act stupid is my recommendation. Although, as confusing and complex as these types of arrangements can be, the hotel computers always seem to straighten things out when it comes time to pay.

6. Bgoll279

Bgoll279 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this is exactly correct. A few weeks bask Cosmo charged the first night as a deposit, and I paid the balance plus room charges at checkout.

7. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience everywhere is that your deposit is charged for the first night's room rate. If it's free, then there's no deposit taken.

You haven't stated which nights you booked through the third party. If they are they first two nights, and the final two nights are the ones getting comped, then maybe I'd have expected them to take a deposit for the 3rd night. But the fact that they combined them into one folio may have caused them not to.

In any case, unless someone said you were getting 4 nights comped, I'd be expecting to get charged for another 2 when you check out.

8. JoastTheMost

JoastTheMost Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first two nights they comped, the second two were the ones I need to pay for still, and the last two were through the third party. Since my first two nights are comped, maybe that's why they didn't collect anything from me yet.

Regardless, I'm going to play dumb to some extent. It's a one bedroom terrace, so maybe I'll push for one with a view. Typical Vegas lowroller asking for upgrades, am i right? :p

9. Raptor

Raptor High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It never hurts to ask!

10. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They charge everything at the end usually. On comped rooms at the beginning, even if you are paying for nights later in the trip, you shouldn't have a traditional deposit when you book the room. But they usually WILL "ping" your card for an "incidentals" hold when you arrive/check-in. It's usually around $130 - $150 a day a better hotels. It is purely to protect themselves against crazy charges/damages by an unscrupulous guest, but know it WILL tie up your credit funds until it's released. (E.G. the amount held will not be accessible until 5-7 days from check out.)

Sooooo far away still...
    Cosmo, always our favorite part of our trip!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.