1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's the best deal on oysters now that PJ Clarke is closed?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by DiamondJim21, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiamondJim21

DiamondJim21 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm always looking for a great deal on oysters when I go to Vegas. The best I have found is 1/2 off at South Point Monday-Thursday from 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. It works out to $11.50 a dozen, which is a great deal. I did this once - you have no choice on the oysters, but the ones they served were pretty good. The problem is, my upcoming trip in September I can't make it to South Point during those times. Any other ideas for a great deal on oysters?

2. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had some decent ones at Main Street Station's 777 Brewpub, 12 for $16. Maybe not a buck each, but the beer makes up for it.

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Big Al's at the Orleans has 13 oysters for $18 during happy hour.
    Emeril's Fish House at MGM has happy hour oysters for $1.75 each
    Comme Ca at the Cosmo has $2.25 oysters during "social hour". I guess this place is to hip to call it happy hour.
    The R Steak House at the Riviera has 4 oysters for $5 during happy hour.
    RM Seafood at Mandalay Bay has $2 oysters during happy hour.

This list from Vegas Eater is a year old, so the prices may not be valid. http://vegas.eater.com/archives/2013/08/05/ah-shucks-24-ways-to-slurp-down-oysters-in-vegas.php

Buck a shuck is a tough price point to achieve, considering transportation costs, the wholesaler, spoilage, labor to shuck, rent, plus the grower has to get something for his efforts. Oysters are getting hot right now, so there is increased demand and prices are up. Plus a large grower in California is closing, several harvesting areas in Washington are closed due to a virus, there are supply issues in Louisiana.

I had my first one just 5 years ago, so I'm making up for lost time. I'm a big fan of Virginia oysters, they have a nice briney flavor. Being on the East Coast, I have not had any West Coast oysters, but I want to try some Kumamoto from Washington.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  4. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The ones at Comme Ça are great. But while $2.25 each is fair (good quality and handful of east and west coast varieties from which to choose), it's hardly a steal. The nice thing is that the happy hour lasts quite a while. If memory serves, I arrived at a "normal" dinner time (8-ish?) and the HH menu was still being offered.

5. DiamondJim21

DiamondJim21 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to all. Great oyster info.

6. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

Pub at Aria is really good

7. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oyster bar at Palace station is really good. $20 per dozen and there is a special for the half dozen after hours.
    Emeril's at MGM -- happy hour 2-5 pm I believe. I still haven't had a chance to try them but my buddy said they were awesome.

8. DiamondJim21

DiamondJim21 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 12 for $16 at MSS sounds like a good deal downtown, and Orleans at 13 for $18 during happy hour is best closer to the strip, if you can't make it to South Point M-Th from 11-4 for their 1/2 off special. Thanks for the info.

9. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We like the Oyster Bar in Harrah's because you can watch them open them and they have many other good choices of seafood that is prepared right in front of you.

The cost really isn't a concern when you really think about it......getting the best and freshest oysters should be your goal. Saving $5 to $10 on oysters and getting sup par oysters is a lose lose meal......and also consider your drink cost at wherever you decide to dine on them. Sometimes saving a few bucks on cheap oysters will cost you much more on your adult beverages to wash them down.

Most times, but not always the expensive oysters places are best.......

BTW if you're ever visiting Washington DC try the Old Ebbitt Grill for oysters or other seafood.....they usually have at least 4 different oysters from around the USA and Canada.....we go there every time we visit our son.

http://www.ebbitt.com/

10. DiamondJim21

DiamondJim21 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Username, its such a coincidence that you mentioned Old Ebbitt Grill for oysters, as that is the first place I ever had oysters on the half shell back in 1987. You're probably right - when it comes to raw oysters quality is more important that price. Good advice.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.