1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Whats makes a steak/steakhouse your fav.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Bubbavegas, Jul 8, 2012.

?

What makes a steakhouse great

Poll closed Aug 22, 2012.
  1. The actual cut and aging of the meat

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. The atmosphere

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. The seasoning mix/marinade

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. The prep method (wood grill, gas grill, infrared)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Consistency of doneness

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So reading through the whats your favorite steakhouse thread as usual I see a few places named that always come up. I also see some of these same great places given a hard slamming by others so what is it that makes a place the best, what is it that lets you down. I am really curious about this, myself I want to taste the flavor of the meat and some that are favs to others rank real low for me due to what I consider over seasoning of the meat. To me thats a waste of what makes a great hunk of meat, it should be able to stand alone with nothing but a bit of salt and pepper tops.

Cosmo Christmas
  2. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me, it's definitely the aging of the meat above all else - but given a choice, I will always choose a place that I know dry ages all of its steaks over one that entirely wet-ages, or mostly wet-ages but has a token "dry aged" steak or two on the menu [because in my experience - which I consider extensive due to the amount & diverse range of steakhouses I've eaten in during my 200 days a year on the road for business - those places usually don't do a good of a job with their dry aging process as places that do it all the time IMO].

Of course, if I have to I'll still gladly go to a place that wet ages if I don't have a choice, as wet-aged prime steaks are still prime steaks, and it's not that wet-aged steaks are bad per se, just inferior to dry-aged steaks of the same grade & preparation IMO - so in a town like Vegas where I know which places dry age & which places wet age, I will always gravitate towards the places that dry age first.

3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think "value" should be another criteria that makes a steakhouse great...

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  4. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry missed that one, and I am sure others.

Cosmo Christmas
  5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its tough to bring it down to one criteria. One's enjoyment of a meal can be affected by any number of things, so even if you think atmosphere doesn't matter, if you go with a friend and you can't carry a conversation, it may ruin the experience.

My biggest thing (and the one that is not forgiveable for any steakhouse to screw up) is the meat temperature. Get it wrong and I may as well have gone to Outback.

Next up is the quality and seasoning of the cut. I don't have any one preferred method for aging or one preferred cut, but quality will out. It it feels like I could have bought it at a grocery store and done it myself, I won't be happy (looking at you Strip House)

After that you get into the less tangible stuff. How was the rest of the menu? The atmosphere? The staff?

6. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can go with the atmosphere, side dishes, and other things just as much or more.....the meat has to be good or great of course, but the other stuff is what makes one place with good meat stand out from another for me

I am the same way with BBQ.....there is a lot of great BBQ in Texas, but sometimes I want more than just beans or potato salad as a side item so if it comes down to two places with good BBQ sometimes it is the sides that make the choice

I am a picky eater as well.....not really into shell fish, mac and cheese, or many vegetables.....so many of the top steak houses have appetizers and sides that I really am not interested in.....and I don't need a tricked up salad either I would like one with more tomatoes (so the tomato, mozzarella appetizer can work for me)

growing up my favorite steakhouse and where I always wanted to go for my birthday was Old San Francisco Steakhouse the place was awesome.....the meat was great (Texas Tbone for me please)

and they had great bread, and then they had a huge block of swiss cheese that they put on each table and you sliced your won as much as you wanted and it was good (in later years when the idiots of the world with no manners or hygiene became "in vogue" they had the blocks of cheese in wax covering most of it and they would take a little off the top before moving it to a new table)....(I also used to like the toppings for potatoes in the little three bowl server but of course when stupidity took over people could not resist using their own spoon instead of the serving spoon and keeping the serving spoon out of their food....or letting their kids play in the toppings)...(like the gauche buffoons that insist on using the same plate on the buffet....who has not felt like cracking one of those fools over the head with a fresh plate)

rant off

the Old San Francisco also had a piano player that would come out and play and then a huge long swing over the bar and a girl would come out and swing and get really high on the swing and hit a bell on the ceiling with her foot while the piano played then they would let kids go up and swing a little with the girl and you would get a certificate (the kids would not swing too high)

they also had bananas flambe prepared table side for desert (again before idiots found a way to get their hair in it ect.) and what kid does not like fire table side!

the one thing I did not like is they had rosin baked potatoes which means you can't eat the skin (I eat the whole potato when I am done you would never know there was a potato there) but I did not eat the skin as much back then and everything else made up for it

sadly they are all closed up now :cry:

well wait!!! as I googled for a site so I could show the "fan page" after they all closed it looks like the one in San Antonio, Tx is back open again!!!

there are some pics below

http://www.theoldsanfrancisco.com/

here is some swinging (skip to 45 seconds in)

[YOUTUBE]6pcsfiAiiZ0[/YOUTUBE]

here you can see the cheese

[​IMG]

this tells about the rosin baked potatoes

http://www.rosin-factory.com/Rosin_Baked_Potato.html

and also the Old San Francisco had the cool old signs all over the wall as well and we used to play a game of spotting the one that someone would call out

thanks for this thread now I need to make a trip to San Antonio and thanks for the trip in memory lane and for helping me find out that one is back open again!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  7. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What does NOT make a steak house is when you eat it and think "Hmmm, not as good or just the same as I cook at home."

What makes a steak house is when you eat it and think "Damn, I can never get my steak to taste this awesome."

8. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well if that was a criteria, then no steak place would be great. I'm not bragging but I have yet to eat one in ANY place as good as what me an my little grill I welded from a 22" pipe segment 20+ year ago can make. DW and many friends have said the same BTW, aint braggin if ya can back it up:licklips: :beer:

Cosmo Christmas
  9. ABQJeff

ABQJeff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since I got an infra red grill, I can cook a steak as well as the restaurants. What I can't do (or don't have the patience to do) is dry age a steak. For a few days, but not for the time it really requires. I also agree with the fact that temprature is key. I prefer a medium rare steak. I've noticed that my medium rare steaks either turn out rare or medium, rarely what I ask for.
    A place that can provide a well aged steak, well cooked and to my liking, get's my patronage.

10. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not really a steakhouse person so if I'm being really honest my favorite Vegas steak experiences have been when I'm super drunk and getting a cheapo deal. There's something really enjoyably visceral about devouring a slab of meat while intoxicated. Ellis Island off menu deal is my favorite steak deal.

11. RPMCanes

RPMCanes High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Atmosphere & tenderness of the steak. Prime at Bellagio does both of those better than anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.